Tokyo Olympics

Raven Saunders won silver for the USA in the Shot put. Great result for her. She should be very proud. However....

Embarrassing behavior for us down here.

I guess it's normal up there
She's far from normal. Unfortunately, there are people that find her act interesting/entertaining. Personally I don't get it. Could be my age speaking.

Negative, the reason why is because as Simone explained is due to her losing her ability to fund the ground.

As a former gymnast, Dominique Moceanu posted a video of herself at the age of 14 being forced to vault injured. She hit her head on the beam, its more a of safety than anything else. Biles has over 20 medals already, she's already highly decorated. If Simone really had hurt herself or could not safely land, it could have resulted in the US in not clinching any medal. Gymnastics is no joke and is extremely dangerous, I'd rather the athletes not kill themselves instead of toughing it out. Dominique was forced to perform.

Hell Kerry Strugg back in '96 after that vault retired. Why? She had permanent damage to her ankle from the incident due to her coaches at the time forcing her to do it...

We really want that again?

It sounds like Vertigo, which isn't a "mental health" problem but whatever. Call it what it is, Vertigo is some bad ****, but don't come up with this term or that. I'm putting more fault on the media now than anything.

She's far from normal. Unfortunately, there are people that find her act interesting/entertaining. Personally I don't get it. Could be my age speaking.
I think it was my age as well bud. Still good for her.

I hope we see your daughter compete in the next olympics.

Couple of the biggest happenings on the track last couple days,

Karsten Warholm of Norway! The Viking! Smashes his own world record in the 400 hurdles with USA's Rai Benjamin, both running world record times pushing each other to the limit, Warholm dropping below the 46 second mark, astounding! Race of the Olympics so far, instant classic.

Elaine Thompson-Herah becomes the first woman to win back to back double 100m 200m Gold, none had anything for her top-end speed, Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce "mommy rocket" gave her a good run mid-way thru the 100, but that was all. She becomes the first woman to accomplish this feat and Jamaica now has a Lady Bolt!

Lamont Marcell Jacobs won 100m Gold for Italy, the only Italian man in history to have won the event.

Valerie Allman, USA, Gold, Women's Discus in huge upset! She works hard and earned that gold today.

couldn't believe they had them trying to throw in the rain like that, power spin on a slick platform, looked like an injury waiting to happen.

Reading in the paper today that NBC is concerned about the low viewer numbers. Each day is more than 50% less than the Rio Olympics 5 years ago.

I'm not a fan of the Summer Olympics but do tune in to certain things that entertain me. What I have found is the event is not what is listed and if I do get to see what I want it's peppered with numerous commercials.

Reading in the paper today that NBC is concerned about the low viewer numbers. Each day is more than 50% less than the Rio Olympics 5 years ago.

I'm not a fan of the Summer Olympics but do tune in to certain things that entertain me. What I have found is the event is not what is listed and if I do get to see what I want it's peppered with numerous commercials.
The different time zones are surely a factor as well.

The American climate is so political now because of social media and there's a growing segment of the population that doesn't watch sports (or anything except partisan news media) anymore, on top of the overall decline in viewership for linear television.

Funny thing. I have little interest in golf but found myself watching HOURS of the women's 4 days of golf. Partly because of well, the women, but the heat they had to play in and all the missed putts and other obstacles they deal with but keep their composure and play on with great shots to stay in the game. The last round was exciting as they moved up and down the leader board. Never knew I could get that excited watching golf.

It sounds like Vertigo, which isn't a "mental health" problem but whatever. Call it what it is, Vertigo is some bad ****, but don't come up with this term or that. I'm putting more fault on the media now than anything.

The more you hear, the more it sounds like the yips

If I cared about gymnastics, I would probably have an opinion. As I don't, I will leave it to the people immersed in that sport to hash it out. If they want a different culture than that which defines American football fandom, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As for the hot takes at the other end of the spectrum that suggested that bowing out was "braver" or superior to winning, no. That's also a bunch of people who don't actually care about the event imposing their politics and insecurities on it.

If I cared about gymnastics, I would probably have an opinion. As I don't, I will leave it to the people immersed in that sport to hash it out. If they want a different culture than that which defines American football fandom, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As for the hot takes at the other end of the spectrum that suggested that bowing out was "braver" or superior to winning, no. That's also a bunch of people who don't actually care about the event imposing their politics and insecurities on it.
I think it takes a level of bravery to bow out of something has happened that risks further injury. We’ve seen in football where someone stays in the game when they shouldn’t when everyone knows a backup might go in there and be more effective. RG3 in the playoffs one year comes to mind.

I still don’t think she should have competed at all. And I really don’t think it’s fair that her decision to bow out has overshadowed the accomplishments of the other young ladies on Team USA.

Overall I got to see all of he events that I wanted to see. Mostly track and field. Much of it live due to my work schedule. Always through the NBC Sports app. Didn’t have any problems with getting to see everything I wanted to through the app. Awesome that they make that option available otherwise many of the events would barely get a mention and much would be missed. Watched some 4K content but it never worked out to be the events I wanted to see. Next up winter events and only three more years till the summer events. I’ll be watching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom