Tommy Baldwin joins Ultra Motorsports #7

H

HardScrabble

Reckon Jim has to find a driver now. Or was that announced and I missed it?

Ultra Motorsports owner Jim Smith announced Tommy Baldwin Jr. has been tabbed as the new crew chief of the No. 7 Sirius Satellite Radio Dodge for 2003. Baldwin replaces veteran crew chief Tony Furr.

"What an exciting day for Ultra Motorsports," commented Smith. "Even though we just wrapped up the 2002 season yesterday, preparation for 2003 begins today. Our NASCAR Winston Cup program has made a lot of gains this season thanks to Tony Furr. To add someone of Tommy Baldwin's caliber is just the added shot in the arm that's going to take the Sirius Satellite Radio Dodge to the next level. Tommy is an extraordinarily talented individual. Although we've yet to name a driver, who ever we put in the seat will be successful with Tommy making the calls."

Just remember, Tommy Baldwin could have been the crew chief of the #24 right now, but he turned down the offer to stick with Ward Burton. Now he's crew-chiefing for the #7. Major ouch.

not where I thought he would end up at all......the only thing I can think of is that tommy wanted a BIG challenge!!...:D

Paul are you talking about Jeff Gordon or Ward Burton? I could possibly see that about Jeff, but find it hard to see that about Ward.

Originally posted by HardScrabble
Reckon Jim has to find a driver now. Or was that announced and I missed it?

I thought I saw somewhere that Jim said that if Jimmy Spencer wanted to drive for me, I'd love to have him. Did anyone else hear that? That might be a good match.

I wonder how much of a pay cut he took?? Tommy is one of the best and if he can't turn that 7 car around then they should just stick to the trucks. Tommy spent alot of time with the Dodges so as long as they stay with Dodge Tommy should at least improve the cars some.

Originally posted by buckaroo
I thought I saw somewhere that Jim said that if Jimmy Spencer wanted to drive for me, I'd love to have him.  Did anyone else hear that?  That might be a good match.

That was one of rumors flying a couple weeks ago when Chip Ganassi fired Jimmy Spencer. I've hear nothing officiall until now about any thing with the 7 team. I can see Jimmy stepping into that car with Tommy and doing a darn good job of getting that team to the "next level".:)

Most won't agree with me but Jimmy is a good driver. He as yet to get on a team that has supported him as a driver so that he can show just how good he is.:)

Don't tell me about Jimmy driving for Chip and how good that team was. Ganassi put all his eggs in one basket to get a Championship.......that blew up in his face. Had he supported the 41 team with 75% of the effort he put in the 40 he likely would have had a top ten in the points this year instead of out of the money like he wound up.

Originally posted by pettyfan4life
They should get a few wins this season now with Tommy

I don't think the addition of Baldwin will help that team.:(

Yes I agree that Jimmy is a good driver and maybe he wasn't given the attention at ganasi. he won a few for junior johnson and back in those days even admitted he was to agressive. after that he contrated more on finishing then winning every lap. In my eyes he improved alot.
but I don't think that the 7 team is where he should go.

That #7 team is in seriously sad shape. It's never been that great of a team has been running piss-poor for awhile, even before Smith owned it. They have a sponsor, and they have a good crew chief now, but Tommy Baldwin is going to have a great deal of work to do to get that car running better than a 30th place team.

And that is exactly what he's been hired for rpm. Everyone has nothing but great praises for Tommy (and I tend to believe they are very much justified).....he should be the man to do it! I just get a kick out of the negative stuff that flies just because nobody likes a certain team or owner. If the team's ever going to turn around, it ain't gonna happen with a mediocre crew chief and driver. I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens.......certainly not going to wish bad luck on the team because they are in "piss poor shape".

Back
Top Bottom