Tony Dungy under fire for comments about Michael Sam

ToyYoda

Team Owner
This may be borderline Podium territory, but one of the big stories in the news this morning is the backlash former Tampa Bay Bucs and Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy is receiving for saying he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL, because he wouldn't have wanted to deal with the distraction.

I gotta say, I think the reaction to this has been a bit ridiculous. Dungy was giving his opinion, and I happen to think he's right. I think this will be a distraction for the Rams this season. But the PC police are all over him this morning, some of them even calling for him to be fired from his studio analyst job at NBC.

Dungy had always seemed like a real good guy to me (and this is coming from a Titans fan who was terrorized by his Colts teams for years), and I don't think he deserves all this grief over this.

Dungy spoke the truth.The only reason Sam was drafted is because he came out and said he was gay.He was damn near the last person drafted.He will be a distraction.

Dungy spoke the truth.The only reason Sam was drafted is because he came out and said he was gay.He was damn near the last person drafted.He will be a distraction.

LOL. Jeff Fisher won't put up with distractions. At all. The chippy St. Louis defense keeps their "distractions" on the field.

The media circus will die down pretty quickly and the Rams know this. How long did that Jason Collins stay in the news? ESPN will be busy blowing Johnny Manziel and FOX Sports 1 will be waiting for Blake Bortles to start.

If Sam sez "hit me" during a game is he taunting or flirting.

The media circus will die down pretty quickly and the Rams know this. How long did that Jason Collins stay in the news? ESPN will be busy blowing Johnny Manziel and FOX Sports 1 will be waiting for Blake Bortles to start.
I'd already forgotten about him until I read this thread.

They knew they were going to get some positive PR from drafting him. They aren't going to jeopardize that by cutting him before he plays as least one season.

You guys act like he was drafted because he's gay.

He was projected as a mid-to late round pick before he made the announcement. Not to mention he was the Co-SEC defensive player of the year.

You guys act like he was drafted because he's gay.

He was projected as a mid-to late round pick before he made the announcement. Not to mention he was the Co-SEC defensive player of the year.
And then he was tested at the combine and elsewhere and he did horribly. His times were horrible. It turns out he was slow and has virtually zero athletic ability, which is kind of important since he is way too small to play DE in the NFL (as he did in college) and will have to be able to play linebacker in the NFL, which is where he was projected in the mid to late rounds before he was timed and tested. After the combine it was said that he was likely to not be drafted at all, but we all knew someone would take him for the PR benefits if nothing else. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a good idea and makes good business sense. The WNBA knows that a large portion of it's fans are lesbians and that they would be foolish not to gear their marketing to them.

And then he was tested at the combine and elsewhere and he did horribly. His times were horrible. It turns out he was slow and has virtually zero athletic ability, which is kind of important since he is way too small to play DE in the NFL (as he did in college) and will have to be able to play linebacker in the NFL, which is where he was projected in the mid to late rounds before he was timed and tested. After the combine it was said that he was likely to not be drafted at all, but we all knew someone would take him for the PR benefits if nothing else. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a good idea and makes good business sense. The WNBA knows that a large portion of it's fans are lesbians and that they would be foolish not to gear their marketing to them.

I'm just not buying it, you see this happen every single year with players.

They do well in their last season in college, they are charted mid to low rounds, do horrible at the combines and people say they arent going to get drafted. Then on draft day their name gets called late on the last day.

Poor combine showing -- bench-pressed 225 pounds just 17 times, recorded a 7.8-second 3-cone drill and posted an abysmal 25 1/2-inch vertical jump.

C'mon man even I could do that and I'm 48 years old.and you think he can be NFL defensive material with numbers like that?

:idunno:

Did you read the draft projection? 7th round to free agent.

He was drafted in the 7th round, where they projected.

As a diehard rams fan, I echo Dungy's comments, at least when he was first drafted, it was a distraction. The team luckily put the kibosh on his Oprah reality show that he wanted to do, and in general it has died down since then. I hope he succeeds, because the Rams could use help on ST.

As an aside, I am not a fan of Jeff Fisher. I find him to be a pretty mediocre coach, and he is WAY TOO loyal to his former Titans players, who seem to pop up on the Rams roster every year(at least Cortland Finnegan is gone, he couldnt cover a cardboard cutout anymore), but think he would excel as a GM.

As a diehard rams fan, I echo Dungy's comments, at least when he was first drafted, it was a distraction. The team luckily put the kibosh on his Oprah reality show that he wanted to do, and in general it has died down since then. I hope he succeeds, because the Rams could use help on ST.

As an aside, I am not a fan of Jeff Fisher. I find him to be a pretty mediocre coach, and he is WAY TOO loyal to his former Titans players, who seem to pop up on the Rams roster every year(at least Cortland Finnegan is gone, he couldnt cover a cardboard cutout anymore), but think he would excel as a GM.

Cortland Finnegan is a master of distraction. That's part of the Rams style. See, chippy. That said, he's not very productive on the field anymore.

Cortland Finnegan is a master of distraction. That's part of the Rams style. See, chippy. That said, he's not very productive on the field anymore.
I believe he's with the Dolphins now. He's not with the Titans Midwest....I mean...the Rams anymore.

I always loved my teams playing against a team that had Cortland Finnegan on it. I figured he was good for at least on good big play a game and usually a touchdown. You gotta have incredible confidence to play cornerback, especially in the NFL, but he was just plain delusional.

Back
Top Bottom