Tony & TargetMoving?

E

eeff

The rumor that will NOT die: Stewart/Ganassi: According to Winston Salem Journal sources, car owner Chip Ganassi and sponsor Target are offering Tony Stewart five million dollars a year, plus bonuses. That would be nearly three times as much money as he's making with car owner Joe Gibbs, according to sources close to the situation. Stewart has been noncommittal about the situation, but Cary Agajanian, his agent, confirms that a number of people are interested in hiring Stewart. And according to sources the proposed Ganassi-Target contract for Stewart is a five-year deal starting at $5 million the first year, plus bonuses, and a 20-percent increase each year, with a significant part of that salary paid by Dodge. The conventional wisdom is that Stewart is simply trying to driving the price up with Gibbs, but throughout the weekend, reports have been rampant that a Stewart-Ganassi deal is all but done. And in the Indy-car world, the word is it's a done deal. Jimmy Makar, Gibbs' general manager, said, 'It's obvious he hasn't signed a contract (with Gibbs), but they're negotiating and working through it right now. They just finished up Bobby Labonte's a few weeks ago, and now they're working with Tony. But that's really between Tony and Joe. It can be a distraction, if you're not careful. It hasn't been in the past though.' One question - if Stewart leaves Gibbs, would Home Depot follow? Sources say Gibbs and Home Depot officials have all but signed a new deal in the past three weeks.
And there are unconfirmed reports that Gibbs is already studying the market to see who's available if Stewart leaves, and rival owners expect Gibbs to make a run at Dale Jarrett if Stewart were to move. Jarrett once drove for Gibbs, and Jimmy Makar, Gibbs' manager, is married to Jarrett's sister, Patti. There are also unconfirmed reports that Gibbs is looking at Greg Biffle, and there is a push from the Indy-car world for Gibbs to take a look at Sam Hornish Jr. and even Sarah Fisher.(Winston Salem Journal)(7-28-2003)

That would be a shocker!

But Tony would have a good ride for an Indy 500 run also

I still think Tony will stay with Gibbs. Zippy resigned last week I believe, him and Tony work so well with each other I just can't see them not working together. I will be totally shocked if Tony leaves JG Racing any time soon.

I dont want to see Stewart leave, but then again, Gibbs engines are blowing and falling like the Iraqi Army. I'd love to see Stewart in a race team which can do well and can be reliable in terms of equipment, his title defense is all but lost now so I wouldnt be surprised if the talk of him leaving JGR rises.

I really don't see Tony leaving Gibbs either. But then 5 mill. is a lot of money. ;)

I personally can't see JGR letting Tony leave unless there is no getting around it. Joe Gibbs has done a wonderful job handling all the adversity. I just hope when they settled Tony down this season they didn't put out some of that fire.

Hey...I have mentioned this twice on here.The rumors around old Red Farmer's guys down here has been for a year now that Tony is going to drive for Ganassi.Red and Tony are very tight.I look to see it happen....even better is it may well be a Ganassi FORD in '06.A shame Chevy has to lose their best driver though. :( <_< ;) :) :p :bounce:

I hope he goes to Gannassi, because then It opens a spot for Ward in the #20 car.

Originally posted by ward22@Jul 29 2003, 03:36 PM
I hope he goes to Gannassi, because then It opens a spot for Ward in the #20 car.
I highly doubt Ward will end up in the #20 car, highly doubt. If Tony Stewart goes to Ganassi, and thats a big if, look for Gibbs to target Scott Riggs.

I would think Tony would want to be loyal to the team that got him to the Championship spot for a couple years (at least I would)

....I don't follow Tony that close, so are there MAJOR reasons why he would want switch...

That would be great!!! (for Ward)

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Jul 29 2003, 02:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Jul 29 2003, 02:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ward22@Jul 29 2003, 03:36 PM
I highly doubt Ward will end up in the #20 car, highly doubt. If Tony Stewart goes to Ganassi, and thats a big if, look for Gibbs to target Scott Riggs. [/b][/quote]
It could happen. Look at Bobby Labonte for instance. Bobby would probably never have won a championship with BDR, then he went to Gibbs, and has a championship and working on more. Ward could go, you can't tell me that he won't. And he may not, but there is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom