Tough Sledding for my Son

Racer1930

Team Owner
I have a son who is a rugby player and is at LSU (since they have a good team and he was dreaming of the Olympics). He's kind of given up on the Olympic rugby dream but has recently got involved in a UFC oriented workout gym. He told me about it (since he was spending my money)...and I said I didn't want him to be doing any real fighting...but he said he was just doing the workouts and learning the techniques. I kind of dismissed it since I got into club boxing when I was in college.

So that Is the back-story.

Last Thursday he called me here in Atlanta and sounded pretty shook up. He said his right foot felt like it was going to sleep and he had trouble walking the steps up to his apartment. Later he called and said both his feet were numb. I told him to be very careful and to call an ambulance if it got worse (no need to try to drive to the ER with numb feet)...later that night he had a friend take him to the ER because the numbness had gone past his knees. His hands were also getting numb.

He's been in the hospital now for nearly a week...his Mom is with him and I'm driving down tomorrow. They did a battery of tests but are somewhat confounded. They have him on a steroid drip and are giving him drugs to combat the constant twitching of his muscles. The Neurologist seems to think it's a spinal cord thing (low - L1/L2)...but nothing big showed up on the MRI.

My huge concern is that he hasn't told me about any recent injuries (he would normally brag about them) and he said he hadn't worked out for two days before the onset.

At present - he can't really walk - and they won't let him use a walker because of hand numbness.

My question - have any of you-all ever heard of something like this for a 23 year old in good shape? They have done tests and it isn't a stroke apparently.

All responses appreciated - Thanks - Tony1930

Never heard of anythig like that?Good Luck and hope they get it figured out soon.

Wish I had some some useful info. I am thinking they already checked for genetic problems like MD, ALS etc.....

Sincere best wishes

I have no idea but good luck and good wishes.

Have they checked for MS?

I think so - they did a bunch of tests - blood work, CT Scan, X-Rays, full body MRI (that took 2+ hours in the tube)....I was worried that if it was something really bad they might not tell him - but my ex-wife is there now and she is pretty hard minded and determined (trust me on that one ;))...so if they knew it was one of the bad ones she would have found out.

I'm driving down tomorrow and have plenty of work leave on the books so will stay as long as it takes. Luckily my boss is very supportive (primarily cause nobody knows how to do what I do and nobody wants to learn).

Last edited:
Keep us posted and good luck buddy.

That's tough. Best of luck to you guys.

So sorry to hear this Tony1930.

I sent it to my Dad who has was a physio and chiro to seek his opinion. Can't hurt... Best wishes

Last edited:
Guillain Barre disease?

Symptoms of GBS include:

• Numbness or tingling in your hands and feet and sometimes around the mouth and lips.
  • Muscle weakness in your legs and arms and the sides ...

Guillain Barre disease?

Symptoms of GBS include:

• Numbness or tingling in your hands and feet and sometimes around the mouth and lips.
  • Muscle weakness in your legs and arms and the sides ...

That's the first thing I thought of was GBS also.

Tony, whatever it is I hope they figure it out soon and it's nothing serious or long term. Our thoughts are with you.

Thoughts and prayers for your family, especially your son. I hope they figure it out and he's better soon.

I just got a reply from Dad back...

Hi Hayden,
The first thing that came to my mind is Multiple Sclerosis. Google it , it can start late teens and there can be many symptoms in many parts of the body or may be only a few. Because he had arm symptoms it was not only lumbar which is for the legs but has to include cervicle or neck area..,for the arm numbness.You will see on Google that there can be many symptoms and then they subside and return later. More common in females but men do get it also. Good to here from you, enjoy your days off with Kim and I hope we talk again soon
Sent from my iPad. Love. Dad

Just an opinion Tony. Best wishes

Obviously that should be taken with a grain of salt.....The Doctors treating your son are running many tests on him and have faith that they will reach the correct diagnosis

I have a son who is a rugby player and is at LSU (since they have a good team and he was dreaming of the Olympics). He's kind of given up on the Olympic rugby dream but has recently got involved in a UFC oriented workout gym. He told me about it (since he was spending my money)...and I said I didn't want him to be doing any real fighting...but he said he was just doing the workouts and learning the techniques. I kind of dismissed it since I got into club boxing when I was in college.

So that Is the back-story.

Last Thursday he called me here in Atlanta and sounded pretty shook up. He said his right foot felt like it was going to sleep and he had trouble walking the steps up to his apartment. Later he called and said both his feet were numb. I told him to be very careful and to call an ambulance if it got worse (no need to try to drive to the ER with numb feet)...later that night he had a friend take him to the ER because the numbness had gone past his knees. His hands were also getting numb.

He's been in the hospital now for nearly a week...his Mom is with him and I'm driving down tomorrow. They did a battery of tests but are somewhat confounded. They have him on a steroid drip and are giving him drugs to combat the constant twitching of his muscles. The Neurologist seems to think it's a spinal cord thing (low - L1/L2)...but nothing big showed up on the MRI.

My huge concern is that he hasn't told me about any recent injuries (he would normally brag about them) and he said he hadn't worked out for two days before the onset.

At present - he can't really walk - and they won't let him use a walker because of hand numbness.

My question - have any of you-all ever heard of something like this for a 23 year old in good shape? They have done tests and it isn't a stroke apparently.

All responses appreciated - Thanks - Tony1930

Just read your post, wish I had sooner. I feel for you. It sounds similar to a guy I knew from high school. You never know. Maybe its a similar condition.

http://www.neuroxcel.com/Testimonials/Client-Steven-C

Tony, can't imagine the mental hell you and your Bride are going through at this time but send best wishes and hope for a full and speedy recovery for your son.

Tony, can't imagine the mental hell you and your Bride are going through at this time but send best wishes and hope for a full and speedy recovery for your son.

Well sorry for the absence and mega-thanks to all for caring so much (I was pretty spooked). The boy was in pretty sad shape there for awhile but they put him on serious intra-V steroids and muscle relaxants to stop the shakes/muscle flinches. Touch and go there for awhile. He's now walking around (gingerly) and can get back to studies. I talked to his primary professor while down in Baton Rouge and it looks like he can easily graduate on time (a senior).
The Neuro Doc said that Guillain-Barre is very rare but somehow a bit of a virus got into his lower spinal cord and the real damage was done when his own white blood cells attacked it and didn't know the difference between the bad stuff and the good stuff and ph_cked everything all up. Doc said he is probably currently in a re-wiring mode now to some degree and it will likely be 6 months or so until he feels all the way normal again.
Thank heavens he went to the ER when he did...in the few other cases they have had a couple of them that got so far into numbness..that it numbed the diaphragm and the person had to go on a respirator.
So a week or so in the hospital and a week or so in in-patient rehab and he is shaky but OK. Doc says it's a rare thing without a history of re-occurrence.
Wheeew....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001704/

Thanks for all your support and putting up with me :p

Well sorry for the absence and mega-thanks to all for caring so much (I was pretty spooked). The boy was in pretty sad shape there for awhile but they put him on serious intra-V steroids and muscle relaxants to stop the shakes/muscle flinches. Touch and go there for awhile. He's now walking around (gingerly) and can get back to studies. I talked to his primary professor while down in Baton Rouge and it looks like he can easily graduate on time (a senior).
The Neuro Doc said that Guillain-Barre is very rare but somehow a bit of a virus got into his lower spinal cord and the real damage was done when his own white blood cells attacked it and didn't know the difference between the bad stuff and the good stuff and ph_cked everything all up. Doc said he is probably currently in a re-wiring mode now to some degree and it will likely be 6 months or so until he feels all the way normal again.
Thank heavens he went to the ER when he did...in the few other cases they have had a couple of them that got so far into numbness..that it numbed the diaphragm and the person had to go on a respirator.
So a week or so in the hospital and a week or so in in-patient rehab and he is shaky but OK. Doc says it's a rare thing without a history of re-occurrence.
Wheeew....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001704/

Thanks for all your support and putting up with me :p

Great news. Is this something he'll have to keep an eye on in the future? Is the virus prone to returning? I've done zero research.

Glad he is recovering, and that it isn't a permanent condition.

Glad everything was worked out Tony! I wish your son the best on his road to recovery!

Thank you for the update! Please, keep us informed of his progress. It is sad to hear of someone so young to deal with this trauma, not forgetting parents, but we are all pulling for your son and and for his family!

..... It is sad to hear of someone so young to deal with this trauma,....

Thanks Whizzer (and all)...I dunno...sometimes these damn kids think they are Superheros and just take it too far. There is a limit to what the human body can stand. I dunno...my guess is that he got carried away and did something that opened up a slight part of his spinal cord and there was a recidivist virus there to take advantage.

Well...one thing is for sure - even if it takes 6 months to get back to normal - that will slow his ass down for awhile :XXROFL::beerbang:
...and get his attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom