Toyota Save Mart 350 - Pre-Race Thread

Just hope the technicality of the track works out well. Big fan of road course racing, but I'm worried we're trying to get too technical with the setups. American road courses are generally very fast and sweeping which I think makes for great racing. I think running the carousel, COTA, Charlotte Roval, are just too complicated for car racing, especially ones that weigh this much

Just hope the technicality of the track works out well. Big fan of road course racing, but I'm worried we're trying to get too technical with the setups. American road courses are generally very fast and sweeping which I think makes for great racing. I think running the carousel, COTA, Charlotte Roval, are just too complicated for car racing, especially ones that weigh this much

I preferred Sonoma without the carousel where they had that fairly long backstretch before making the hard right into the S's

I didn't realize they are using a different tire. I think that is throwing a wrench in the works for the teams. I really like the races where they have to just show up and run with no nothing until the flag drops.
I didn't realize that until just recently as well. This is going to be really, really good I think. Can't wait.

I preferred Sonoma without the carousel where they had that fairly long backstretch before making the hard right into the S's
I really like it. You have to get through it to get to 7 and be able to pass. You suck in the carousel, you can forget 7. Love the idea of a technical corner essential for a passing zone.

This is the first time I've heard the Charlotte Roval described as "too complicated".

I used to have a problem with road course racing with cars designed to go left. I will always give @StandOnIt for changing my mind. There is something really cool about: 1) A driver maximizing all of his ability to take what the car will give him, and 2) Engineering a car to push it to its absolute limit, and forcing it to do something it really doesn't want to do. All of this will change next year with the Next Gen, and that will be completely fascinating. I think that initially teams with the best engineering resources will have a jump on what the car will want on a road course, and in time, everything will level out in terms of the car, and more is learned.

This is the first time I've heard the Charlotte Roval described as "too complicated".

43f6a581f2745356645a0e0c1edcf67b.jpg

19873f6800627258cbb3dbbe3f57d19c.jpg

Get rid of that last chicane in the Roval and you have something more fluid. Watkins Glen is great because it’s not overly technical, yet you have to handle a ton of speed through those corners

43f6a581f2745356645a0e0c1edcf67b.jpg

19873f6800627258cbb3dbbe3f57d19c.jpg

Get rid of that last chicane in the Roval and you have something more fluid. Watkins Glen is great because it’s not overly technical, yet you have to handle a ton of speed through those corners
Without the last chicane in the Roval, you wouldn't have enough straight braking zone for turn 1 at the speed they would be running. Plus, it's a passing zone.

Without the last chicane in the Roval, you wouldn't have enough straight braking zone for turn 1 at the speed they would be running. Plus, it's a passing zone.

Terrible reasoning. They could easily carry full speed and play chicken into 1. If anything though it would help spread out the field and lead to less cautions

I think just the overall lack of grip on the infield portion is where the difficulty comes with the Roval. The drivers still struggle to keep it on the track down there. That first practice session there was ugly.

and into the Tums corner..oh hell yeah.
Hell, they can't get through there reliably on restarts, and that's coming straight off turn 4 at caution speed. If they were to come off 4 into Heartburn at race speed, the race would have more caution laps than green ones.

Hell, they can't get through there reliably on restarts, and that's coming straight off turn 4 at caution speed. If they were to come off 4 into Heartburn at race speed, the race would have more caution laps than green ones.
and both of those features are in front of the front stretch grand stands. This ain't rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom