Track surface not disintegrating

H

HardScrabble

During the race after complaints about the track surface coming apart Gary Nelson rode the track and reported that rubber from the tires was building up. This was creating the marbles outside the groove and not the track asphalt.

Track owner Bob Bahre had comments along the same lines.

Track owner Bob Bahre said he wasn't upset about the poor condition of the asphalt in turns 3 and 4 of New Hamphire International Speedway.

"If it was perfect it would still be an issue," Bahre said after drivers complained about the slick surface in turns 3 and 4.

"I would be more concerned if they weren't complaining.

"Bahre spent $200,000 to pave a new groove into the flat track, but the new asphalt created problems when the tire rubber apparently began to build up on the surface. It made the track slick and caused cars to slide through the two turns.

Drivers said the surface was separating, but Bahre was certain it didn't and invited everyone to walk the track to see for themselves.

"Talk to (tire manufacturer) Goodyear about what the problem was," Bahre said. "The track didn't come apart, there was just a lot of rubber build up."

Bahre said he had no plans to make any changes to the surface before the series returns here in September.

"We'll stick with what we've got and we'll be fine," he said.

That track needs to be dropped from the schedule! The racing action is terrible! you must race the track like your at martinsville to pass & the speeds are around 150 mph on the straight aways!

Someone needs to use their brains instead of thinking about their wallets getting fatter!

After today, that track shouldn't be disintegrating, it should just DISSAPPEAR!:D

Open letter to Goodyear: QUIT F***ING AROUND, make a tire that wears out a little during the race! I had those kind of tires on my lil' red wagon when I was a kid and they sucked!:D

LOL Gordon fan...I agree that Goodyear needs to make a tire change. They should now after getting some info about the track and how the tires were. This track was an unknown to them when they brought the tire there.

Thought these comments from Bobby were pretty indicative of how most of the drivers felt after the race (joegibbsracing.com):

The normally soft-spoken Labonte was clearly upset with not only his finish in the race, but with the overall track surface as well following the event. When asked if there was anything the track could do to make things better, Labonte responded, "They should give everybody their money back for impersonating a race. It was not a good race. I don't think it was a good race. It's just unfortunate. The people here are so nice. They are so absolutely perfect. But, it's just so tough. It's tough. It's tough for us. What can you say?"

I think more of the blame falls on Goodyear and those hard ass tires that they are taking everywhere. I can understand using them at Daytona and Dega but it's ruining the racing that were are seeing everywhere else. I'm truley saddened at the state of Winston Cup racing these days. Cause it sucks.

I'm real sorry you actually had to drive that car of yours yesterday Mr Labonte. Cry me a river, give me the helmet, and go sit in yer million dollar motorhome while I arrange to have one of the thousands of young drivers that would be more than happy to drive for you at a fraction of what you make.

Originally posted by 71Fan
I'm real sorry you actually had to drive that car of yours yesterday Mr Labonte. Cry me a river, give me the helmet, and go sit in yer million dollar motorhome while I arrange to have one of the thousands of young drivers that would be more than happy to drive for you at a fraction of what you make.

Good point 71..........and I like Bobby too!! Why does Goodyear, the track owners or NASCAR have to solve everyone's problems? A good racer will take what he is served and deal with it.......and the racers who deal with it very well will come out on top!! They had practice, they have some real experts to setup cars to make them competitive in most any condition........Good teams, good drivers overcome obstacles and win anyway!! There were a few drivers that did just that..........and they encountered the same problems as anyone else in yesterday's race!! Go figure!:)

"I don't think the track was coming up, I just think it was rubber buildup......''

and this funny about the Jeff from The Concord Monitor....
"At one point, Jeff Gordon told his crew chief that he wanted NASCAR to red flag the event until NHIS's condition was improved. After the race, he said he would not discuss the comment."

oh waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Excuse me 71, but how dare you call these guys crybabies when they're out there every week busting their butts and risking their lives while you're sitting in your recliner. Sorry if they are upset about crappy track conditions that caused how many drivers to wreck at a track that has claimed several lives in the past few years.

Get off your damn high horse. :mad:

Ya know, I have never seen anybody twist a drivers arm to get in to a racecar. Flat track racin is flat track racin and if ya can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

excuses for stuff from most, but Ward said it best.

3 & 4 turns were trash after they had to resurface after the busch race and they didn't seal it.

Those turns stunk

I have the soloution to the problem. Let Bahre give back the date he STOLE from North Wilksboro and lets have more SHORT TRACK RACING

<embed src="http://66.30.66.160/~wav/files/droopy.wav" autostart="TRUE" hidden="TRUE" loop="0">

Originally posted by tkj24
I have the soloution to the problem. &nbsp;Let Bahre give back the date he STOLE from North Wilksboro and lets have more SHORT TRACK RACING

OR get more road racin like at Road Atlanta. 2 a year at Louden stinks, Homewood sucks, but love the shorties.

The guys offered a solution on IWC tonight --- I don't remember who said it, but blow the wall out of the back stretch and push the track out so the corners are a bit more sweeping. Sort of a big Richmond.

MORE ROAD COURSES, will test the true race driver.

Flat tracks are ok, but.................

Originally posted by tkj24
I have the soloution to the problem. &nbsp;Let Bahre give back the date he STOLE from North Wilksboro and lets have more SHORT TRACK RACING

I don't know why NASCAR dropped North Wilksboro for Laudon. But they did. Every driver on the Winston Cup circuit has to face the same problem though. Some are successful and some aren't. Obviously, a lot of drivers don't like NHIS but as long as they are racing in WC it's a track they must go to........or skip it and loose points plus a lot of money and fans. If the track is not falling apart (and apparently, it is not) then it is something else making it slick.....rubber build up seems the likely culpret. Bahre tried to make the track a little better for the fans, as well as for the drivers. And in the long run, he may have done that. One race and many drivers couldn't get a handle on the "new" track and it's suddenly a controversy. Why is it that because the drivers who didn't do well are moaning the most? Past notes on the track failed them? I'm sure they did........but how did Ward do so well? Some teams figured it out and did well........most didn't and did poorly. So it's Bahre's fault? NASCAR's fault? Goodyear's fault? I think not.......the drivers and teams that were pissing and moaning about how their cars were handling are at fault. They just didn't find the solution to making the car handle well. Seems some were too busy complaining and not busy fixing the handling problem. By the way, though it was sort of a wreck fest, the race yesterday was better than most I've seen at NHIS. I think the finger pointing by fans and drivers (teams) should be directed at a mirror.

North Wilkesboro was bought and closed by Bruton Smith and Bob Bahre --- who don't particularly like each other. However, Bruton wanted a date for Texas, and Bahre wanted a 2nd date for Loudon, so a deal was struck.

I doubt that Wilkesboro will ever re-open because of the enmity those two have for each other.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
North Wilkesboro was bought and closed by Bruton Smith and Bob Bahre --- who don't particularly like each other. &nbsp;However, Bruton wanted a date for Texas, and Bahre wanted a 2nd date for Loudon, so a deal was struck. &nbsp;

I doubt that Wilkesboro will ever re-open because of the enmity those two have for each other.

Thanks TRL........but the point is that we now have two NHIS dates and until that changes the drivers and teams have to deal with the track in whatever condition it's in. Complaining and fussing about time of year chosen to resurface the track isn't dealing with the problem at hand........I can it whining.:)

The track need to be dropped from the schedule, Hell they have been going there for 10 years and they have had problems every year. If they haven't got it fixed by now they ain't gona get it fixed.

just my opinion i could be wrong

Goodyear currently has no real choice but to use the harder tires. There's so much downforce on the cars right now that a softer compound would wear out in no time. I don't see Goodyear softening the tire compound unless the levels of downforce are decreased.

The idea for moving the backstretch out would take a ton of effort, because the motorcycle track would need to be reconfigured to accomodate.

As a side note, I don't think that the track having too little banking is a problem. If you look closely at the track, you'll notice that the degree of banking decreases as it gets closer to the wall. That's why there was only one groove before the reconfiguration, because there was less banking on the outside than against the yellow line. Ideally, the banking would be curvature, meaning that the angle would increase as you moved away from the yellow line. I think that would create a much more viable 2nd groove.

Overall, I don't want to see the track eliminated from the schedule. Maybe have one date taken away, but not both. The Bahres have tried really hard to create a good track for both the drivers and the fans, and I thought that's Sunday's race was a definite improvement over past races. For example, in the final 22 laps, Ricky Craven moved from 32nd to 21st. There's no way he could have done that on the old configuration.

My opinion, take it or leave it.

Stridsberry...Good point. If Goodyear went to a softer compound, these guys would whine about them not lasting long enough. and...

De...I agree with you. That was a pretty entertaining race. Better than Plate racing anyday.

Back
Top Bottom