Trains!!

I'm listening to a podcast about old disney things, i caught the first half this morning, will catch the 2nd on the way home.

The topic today is the old rail road at Disney Fort Wilderness Campground that only ran a few years. the reason being? They couldnt' keep it running.

they customer built the trains in California, didnt do any testing before they shipped them to FL. They tracks were laid by the same people that built the parks, and they bent the hell out of the tracks. once the trains got to FL, because they weren't tested in CA before being shipped, they had all sorts of problems, like not being able to hold enough fuel to get all the way around the loop.

An interesting listen so far.

I'm listening to a podcast about old disney things, i caught the first half this morning, will catch the 2nd on the way home.

The topic today is the old rail road at Disney Fort Wilderness Campground that only ran a few years. the reason being? They couldnt' keep it running.

they customer built the trains in California, didnt do any testing before they shipped them to FL. They tracks were laid by the same people that built the parks, and they bent the hell out of the tracks. once the trains got to FL, because they weren't tested in CA before being shipped, they had all sorts of problems, like not being able to hold enough fuel to get all the way around the loop.

An interesting listen so far.
Didnt that train hit a kid at some point too?

Didnt that train hit a kid at some point too?

i wouldnt be surprised...that was one of the problems they were talking about. there wasnt a fence around it, the train went around the campground, so it was easy for a kid to get on the tracks.

This may sound silly to other train enthusiasts, but I'm into passenger trains used for public transit.

I'm real excited for the new TEX Rail commuter line set to open here in Fort Worth next year. It's going to use Swiss-based Stadler trains. However, I'm a little disappointed with the model of trains we're getting. The Stadler trains in nearby Denton are GTWs, with large windows and two rows of seats per window. The Stadler trains here in Fort Worth are FLIRT 3s, with smaller windows that seats don't align with.

For some reason, model train companies don't make model trains of public transit trains. It'd be nice if they did so.

Who here has a model train layout?
I still have all the pieces of my one from childhood, someday I'd like to make a real good one though.

My layout is HO gauge and got packed away when the twins were born. We had plans to turn that area where my lay out was into a ''day care'' area. Didn't happen. It's a slippery slope, I went from a 4 x 8 to two 4 x8 connected with two 30'' wide 8 foot long sections. A big square O
I got the boys a Thomas set up and have expanded it a little
Here's a good forum, a lot of knowledgeable people. model train forum. com

also
This guy is a engineer for CSX
https://djstrains.com/ and on youtube https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2A2BFE6BFA834D61DD922A2BFE6BFA83&&FORM=VRDGAR
For N scalers there's Mike.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrfifer
I didn't include he owns a hobby shop, that's a bit commercial byut you can find it easily, he does a lot of product reviews

Last edited:
There are a couple hobby shops with good sized layouts near by, I always enjoy checking them out when I stop in. The problem with a model train layout is how much space it takes. That's why I'm considering a street scene on a shelf with a trolley. There are a lot of store fronts available.

No matter how many times I see these displayed at a local hardware store I still love them.

FB_IMG_1535308988045.jpg
FB_IMG_1535308994685.jpg
FB_IMG_1535309001370.jpg

Decided to go out to Taylorsville, NC and Statesville, NC to check out Alexander Railroad. Caught this train doing some work on the 18 mile shortline.

@SpeedPagan hope to check out 611 soon, it's currently at the Strasburg Railroad having inspection done. But in a few weeks it's going to be pulling some excursions

@SpeedPagan hope to check out 611 soon, it's currently at the Strasburg Railroad having inspection done. But in a few weeks it's going to be pulling some excursions

Awesome!! If you can afford it (It was $611 plus tax for me) and if they're offering it, you have to do Behind the Throttle Experience, it is amazing, I loved every second of my throttle time with 611.

Hard to believe it's been over 3 years since this thread was posted in. I did eventually get to see 611 at Strasburg...speaking of Strasburg it was not a good day for them. MOW crew left a switch open and engine 475 hit an excavator, no injuries fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom