Triplett resigns

S

stridsberry

http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/...sign/index.html
-------------------------------------

Triplett resigns from NASCAR front office
By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive March 14, 2003
1:36 PM EST (1836 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- NASCAR managing director of business operations Kevin Triplett has resigned his position, effective in June, to move back home to Virginia and pursue other options, NASCAR vice president for corporate communications Jim Hunter told NASCAR.com Thursday.

"He's such a great guy and he's done a lot for NASCAR in helping build the sport. He may be the hardest working guy I've ever met," Hunter said.

During his decade-long tenure with the sanctioning body, Triplett has held many positions and is well respected in the industry.

Triplett joined NASCAR in 1994 and spent three years as NASCAR Winston Cup Series media coordinator.

In 1997, he was promoted to director of operations, and spent nearly four years in that role before receiving yet another promotion in October 2001, at which time he was elevated to managing director of business operations.

In that role, Triplett oversaw schedules, sanctions, credentials, timing and scoring procedures, plan development, point fund management and personnel, as well as all other business aspects of the Winston Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck Series

A career in politics could be one of Triplett's future plans.

"Well, I don't think it's any secret that Kevin has been always had an interest in politics and political affairs, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he wound up doing some sort of public service or something of that nature," Hunter said.

Triplett's decision to step away shocked some, and could be the first of many high-profile moves in NASCAR's rumored restructuring process.

Inside sources say NASCAR is in the process of placing several key personnel in different roles to best suit their strong points.

Among the candidates rumored to collectively assume Triplett's responsibilities are NASCAR director of series marketing Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR director of administration George Silbermann -- who also serves as chairman of the National Stock Car Racing Commission -- Joe Garone, director of NASCAR's research and development center, and Gary Smith, Craftsman Truck Series manager.

Back
Top Bottom