Trucks at Bowman Gray?

What's your favorite current short track in NASCAR's top 3 series?

• Total voters

sky

Zombie Zoom LLC
Hey y'all first post here whatsup. Anyways at Eldora the trucks had a points race with heat races, LCQ and main event; why not put em in NASCAR's oldest and most historic venue? The fabled Bowman Gray Stadium.
bowman-grey-stadium4.jpg

Imagine the ratings for a bull ring Bump and Grind Knockout event at the MadHouse. I hear RC owns it or will own it so money's no issue. The trucks have 22 races on the schedule this year. Wouldn't this be a priority to watch!?

Would love to see that happen. Nationwide and trucks should run short tracks full-time

The NASCAR K&N Pro Series goes there and it's a disaster. Way too small. They get a great crowd, but it's just carnage on the track. I think K&N should remove it from their schedule, it's not an appropriate venue for such a large series. I'd imagine the only reason they keep going back is the great crowd, the teams must all hate it.

Sounds like a good idea until you think about it. Those trucks are way too heavy for those tight turns. It would be a crash fest.

Oh gods no, just no. Honestly Bowman Gray is WWE on wheels. It's a quarter mile, flat, single groove track where the only way you can pass is by wrecking the guy in front of you. That may be great for the fans of Bowman Gray, but it's not real racing IMHO,

No doubt if that ever happens I will be watching !!! Holy crap what a show that would be

"I hear RC owns it or will own it so money's no issue."
Actually, Winston-Salem State University owns it now. They bought it last fall from the city. Richard Childress has never owned it.
There's a lot of talk about RC or his drivers buying tracks all around here, but it's just talk.

I love short tracks but a Truck race at Bowman Gray wouldn't be very good. The track is completely flat and it's only a quarter-mile. There's only one way to pass and that's to wreck the guy in front of you.

Bowman Gray Stadium isn't racing, it's a show.

Well it's too bad WSSU owns it cuz they'd never put up big bucks for a top 3 series race. And hey a show is a show you can't say it wouldn't be entertaining and most of the "carnage" would be merely cosmetic. I go to Bowman Gray about once a month during the spring and summer for the modified and sportsman (stock) races. There's nowhere else on the planet where the fans have so much passion and the drivers are so competitive.Call it what you want it's AWESOME.

Well it's too bad WSSU owns it cuz they'd never put up big bucks for a top 3 series race. And hey a show is a show you can't say it wouldn't be entertaining and most of the "carnage" would be merely cosmetic. I go to Bowman Gray about once a month during the spring and summer for the modified and sportsman (stock) races. There's nowhere else on the planet where the fans have so much passion and the drivers are so competitive.Call it what you want it's AWESOME.

It's nice that it is a convenient track for you to go to, but a big 3 NASCAR race shouldn't and will not happen there. K&N Pro Series and the Whelen Modified tour is as big as it's gonna get for that track I think. I went there once for the inaugural K&N race, had a good time, loved the facility, but it is clearly not meant to be hosting big time races, even the K&N Pro Series should really not be there. I've gotta think all the teams must hate the place, all of the cars get torn up.

It's nice that it is a convenient track for you to go to, but a big 3 NASCAR race shouldn't and will not happen there. K&N Pro Series and the Whelen Modified tour is as big as it's gonna get for that track I think. I went there once for the inaugural K&N race, had a good time, loved the facility, but it is clearly not meant to be hosting big time races, even the K&N Pro Series should really not be there. I've gotta think all the teams must hate the place, all of the cars get torn up.
Yeah I saw the most recent K&N race there, lotta wrecks, but they're low speed wrecks and the race itself is action packed all the time it's survival. I seen guys get spun early hit the wall and drive back up to win the race. And I think NASCAR would benefit from the ratings and disgruntled NC fans in the capital of racing would support the sport again.

Remember they stole The Rock and North Wilkesboro from us so a lot of old guard fans have returned the favor & turned their back on NASCAR.

You're right that WSSU probably couldn't afford to bring in a major series like the NASCAR Trucks. But I doubt that Bowman-Gray's seating capacity is large enough for NASCAR to schedule the Trucks there anyways. And it's in a market (Southeast) that NASCAR already considers saturated.

We'll see how the season goes under WSSU's ownership. This will be their first season. Hopefully they will continue to allow the established promoters run the place since that has a proven success record. But I fear that since the city was happy to unload it (they weren't making money on the lease) WSSU will also have trouble making money. If so, and since WSSU football shares the facility and is gaining popularity, we may see more decisions that favor football than racing there.

You're right that WSSU probably couldn't afford to bring in a major series like the NASCAR Trucks. But I doubt that Bowman-Gray's seating capacity is large enough for NASCAR to schedule the Trucks there anyways. And it's in a market (Southeast) that NASCAR already considers saturated.

We'll see how the season goes under WSSU's ownership. This will be their first season. Hopefully they will continue to allow the established promoters run the place since that has a proven success record. But I fear that since the city was happy to unload it (they weren't making money on the lease) WSSU will also have trouble making money. If so, and since WSSU football shares the facility and is gaining popularity, we may see more decisions that favor football than racing there.

Eldora and BGS have the exact same capacity at 20,000. Let's hope that WSSU changes nothing about the track and hopefully some diversity will occur as a part of this new ownership. Football games are all black and Races are all white something about that should change

Maybe they'll add some banking to the track that'll give it a second groove. :p

The NASCAR K&N Pro Series goes there and it's a disaster. Way too small. They get a great crowd, but it's just carnage on the track. I think K&N should remove it from their schedule, it's not an appropriate venue for such a large series. I'd imagine the only reason they keep going back is the great crowd, the teams must all hate it.
I beg to differ! I've been there for two of the K&N races. The action is great, the racing is tight, and from the two times I've been there they tore up less race cars that most of the bigger tracks I seen them on. Bristol tears up more race cars than BG. And no I'm not a Homer! I'm from Florida, I see about 25-30 races a year, but enjoy my trips to Winston-Salem. BG reminds me of the old Hialeah Speedway in South Florida and is flat and tight as Greenville-Pickens.

I went to the first K&N race there in 2011 and it seemed like a disaster. I had fun at the event but there are much better places in the Carolinas for K&N to race at...

I can tell you Greenville was damn close to getting a Truck race. They have thousands of bleachers waiting to be installed and they have banners for their truck race and everything. The deal fell through at the last minute and nobody knows why.

Also, there was a report on Popular Speed a few weeks ago that Myrtle Beach was in negotiations with NASCAR to host a Truck Series race.

I imagine NASCAR wants to replace that Rockingham race with another track in the Carolinas.

I can tell you Greenville was damn close to getting a Truck race. They have thousands of bleachers waiting to be installed and they have banners for their truck race and everything. The deal fell through at the last minute and nobody knows why.

I had heard a lot of rumors about that in 2012, about them having a race in 2013. I was living in Upstate SC around then, so a lot of people here were talking about it. Too bad it didn't happen, would be nice to see some real short tracks on the truck series schedule again.

But I doubt that Bowman-Gray's seating capacity is large enough for NASCAR to schedule the Trucks there anyways.

Let's quit acting like the Truck races being in 40,000 people. They don't. Eldora and the now-defunct Rockingham Speedway were huge crowds in comparison to most of their races. There are plenty of tracks that could handle a Truck race. The aforementioned Greenville could host the Trucks. Myrtle Beach, Lonesome Pine, Motor Mile, South Boston, Langley, Orange County, Hickory, Five Flags, Caraway, the new track being built in Thornburg, VA... there's no reason this can't happen. If a track can host a K&N race, there's no reason they can't handle a Truck race.

I had heard a lot of rumors about that in 2012, about them having a race in 2013. I was living in Upstate SC around then, so a lot of people here were talking about it. Too bad it didn't happen, would be nice to see some real short tracks on the truck series schedule again.

It was that close. I can tell you without a doubt that it was going to happen. They have the stands ready to go, they have the banners, the infrastructure. That race was going to happen. I wonder who killed it - NASCAR, ISC or Bruton.

NASCAR's going to return the Trucks and/or Nationwide Series to grassroots tracks, whether people like it or not. FOX and NBC pay the bills and I'm sure both networks would rather televise a short track bullring battle instead of a 1.5 mile "Kyle Busch Show" sleepathon.

CBS Sports Network is going to broadcast ARCA races at Madison and Winchester live. If they can do it, so can FOX Sports 1 and NBC Sports.

I went to the first K&N race there in 2011 and it seemed like a disaster. I had fun at the event but there are much better places in the Carolinas for K&N to race at...
I agree there other tracks that could host a K&N race, and not only in the Carolinas. They had an awesome race at New Smyrna this February. But I love the flat tracks. the cars slide around, there is a little contact, but most that is cosmetic (front bumper, rear bumper, donuts on the door. It really becomes a drivers race. Both K&N races I saw at BG had a lot of side by side, nose to tail battles for position. I would much rather see K&N at BG, than on the backstretch at Daytona. One of the best races I've ever seen was at the South Florida flat track "Hialeah". It was an All Pro Series SLM race won by Jody Ridley. At the end of the night, Jody lead all 200 laps, but he was the only one with his front bumper still intact. Everyone else had destroyed front and rear bumpers.

I agree there other tracks that could host a K&N race, and not only in the Carolinas. They had an awesome race at New Smyrna this February. But I love the flat tracks. the cars slide around, there is a little contact, but most that is cosmetic (front bumper, rear bumper, donuts on the door. It really becomes a drivers race. Both K&N races I saw at BG had a lot of side by side, nose to tail battles for position. I would much rather see K&N at BG, than on the backstretch at Daytona. One of the best races I've ever seen was at the South Florida flat track "Hialeah". It was an All Pro Series SLM race won by Jody Ridley. At the end of the night, Jody lead all 200 laps, but he was the only one with his front bumper still intact. Everyone else had destroyed front and rear bumpers.

I like flat tracks too, Autodrome St-Eustache in Quebec is a great small flat track and has excellent races with the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. I just don't think Bowman Gray is suited to such big series, just my opinion. I don't hate the place or anything, if it works out on my schedule i'd go to the K&N race there again for sure. I just think K&N is already a bit much for the place, something bigger( like the truck series )would be way too much for that place.

Back
Top Bottom