Trucks -- Qualifying and RACE thread --- Knoxville

Years ago- I'm thinking early 90s- I was watching a race( maybe Atlanta) and Neil Bonnet had an in car camera. This was maybe a year or two before he died. Watching his in car view live you could tell a wreck was happening and then I thought oh s**t he just flipped! Announcers(Ned Jarret? And ?) didn't say anything about it, they show replays- no flip. Then they go to Neil on the mic to talk to him and he's all out of breath and answers as best as he can but he's pretty shook. They go to commercial, come back show replays again and show him flip. Then show in car again. Then say something like "well I guess we know why he couldn't really talk to us" Unbelievable! Not only did they all miss his flip but tried to talk to him seconds afterwards! Anyone else remember that? Wish I had more details but my memory is pretty fuzzy from those days.

Years ago- I'm thinking early 90s- I was watching a race( maybe Atlanta) and Neil Bonnet had an in car camera. This was maybe a year or two before he died. Watching his in car view live you could tell a wreck was happening and then I thought oh s**t he just flipped! Announcers(Ned Jarret? And ?) didn't say anything about it, they show replays- no flip. Then they go to Neil on the mic to talk to him and he's all out of breath and answers as best as he can but he's pretty shook. They go to commercial, come back show replays again and show him flip. Then show in car again. Then say something like "well I guess we know why he couldn't really talk to us" Unbelievable! Not only did they all miss his flip but tried to talk to him seconds afterwards! Anyone else remember that? Wish I had more details but my memory is pretty fuzzy from those days.
It was Talladega and they had multiple shots of his flip. Neil was running a Childress car #31 because he wanted to race again after being sidelined due to his accident, at the Time he was the color analyst for CBS and agreed to do some commentary while live in the car.

Yes that was it. They didn't have a shot of the flip at first though before they went to talk to him- poor guy was just trying to catch his breath! Thanks for remembering it better than me LOL!

Lets be realistic here she was running somewhere back in the 20's I think and there was good racing up front at the time. Why would they have a camera on her back there?
That and you aren't going to get the A team for a one off dirt truck race in a rural area. Compared to most of the dirt races I watch that are broadcast, the truck race went off smoothly, track was 90% out of a 100 and the broadcast was laid back professional.

Back
Top Bottom