Truth OR Rumor

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the wee hours of the morning I heard (I think?) that F1 and CHAMP are working on reuniting.
Anybody have more info?

i thought IRL wants to merge with champ?

howbout the FIA and tony george go duke it out and whoever wins gets to put the IRL, champ car, and F1 all under their name, the way nascar has cup, busch, and trucks.

doesnt the FIA already own champ car and F1?

I thought that Champ car and IRL were talking awhile back about a future unified series? F1 is a much more technically advanced series than Champ, the cars are a lot different, so i can't see how they could merge the 2 .

F1 and CMAP budgets are abrusdly different as is the caliber of driver and pay roll.... I do not see F1 joining anyone, especially as they have 3 applications for new teams in the 07 season! Champ cars are all identical F1 cars are very different in many ways.... it just isnt gonna happen..

CART needs to grab IRL because as much as i hate IRL and love CART the CART series dosent have enough drviers... 17 cars?!?! I would love to see 20-24 on a starting grid!

F-1 doesn't need to merge with anyone!!!
They have a structure that would intimidate the blazes outta Chump and IRL.
I have heard, via Robin Miller and Dave Despain that it is a hopeful dream that Champ and INDY might merge back. That would be a good thing!!!!!
Put more cars in each race and run on ovals AND road courses. Make a much more challenging series and bigger crowd draw.

yea, F1 money is out the roof. but doesn't champ car run turbochargers? And merging the schedules would be a headache, people already think 36 is too many for cup..if those 2 merged there'd be dates dropping left and right to get under around 33.

Magnethead said:
yea, F1 money is out the roof. but doesn't champ car run turbochargers? And merging the schedules would be a headache, people already think 36 is too many for cup..if those 2 merged there'd be dates dropping left and right to get under around 33.
Have you looked at the IRL & CCWS schedules? Sure they'd have to reorganize a few dates, BUT neither have very many races now, I THINK they're just in the teens, it really wouldn't be that big a deal, but they would have decent car count again, first time since '96.

oh has it decreased? I actually hadn't looked at it, but i thought they were still in the 20's, with not that many tracks (or track layouts) shared between the 2.

Nope, Magnethead, Eagle1 is right on that. As a matter of fact, during off season for IRL and Champ lots of the drivers drive in the A-1 series.
Some good racing there too.

I think if IRL and Champ merger i would like to see 1/4 to 1/3 ovals and the rest road and temp street... if you want ovals watch nascar, but that is boring, it may have more passing but nascar is kind fo a dead end sport IMO, not a ton of talent, just lots of money as PT said before going back to champ.

Hmmm i'd like to see 3 of the top F1 drivers come to Cup and run Infineon. Give them say 3 weeks practice in a Cup car, i would bet they don't finish in the top 10. There is a ton of talent in Nascar, you obviously are very biased towards F1, which is understandable. F1 has a loyal fan base worldwide, bigger than Nascar i'm sure, but look at how technically advanced those cars are, those cars cost much more to build than a Cup car. I watch F1 once in awhile because it amazes me how fast those cars are with their incredible downforce. For actuall racing , i much prefer Nascar, at least i can see 10-20 lead changes that are not just from pit stop cycles. I watched an F1 race last year, can't remember which one it was, might of been Monanco. There was 1 lead change all race, that's not racing IMO.

Like I said, it was the wee hours of the morning, so I was trying to fall asleep and must have misunderstood.
Nice discussion tho! ;)

Mopardh9 said:
Hmmm i'd like to see 3 of the top F1 drivers come to Cup and run Infineon. Give them say 3 weeks practice in a Cup car, i would bet they don't finish in the top 10. There is a ton of talent in Nascar, you obviously are very biased towards F1, which is understandable. F1 has a loyal fan base worldwide, bigger than Nascar i'm sure, but look at how technically advanced those cars are, those cars cost much more to build than a Cup car. I watch F1 once in awhile because it amazes me how fast those cars are with their incredible downforce. For actuall racing , i much prefer Nascar, at least i can see 10-20 lead changes that are not just from pit stop cycles. I watched an F1 race last year, can't remember which one it was, might of been Monanco. There was 1 lead change all race, that's not racing IMO.
I think you mis understand me friend.

Consdier the varying driver inputs on a single lap of racing, F1 with 8-12 corners, Vs. Nascar with 3-4 corners all th same direction. Also consider what Paul Tracy had to say about the disparity in cup racing, the massive differences in cost between the winners and the back of the pack. I am not Biased TOWARDS F1, I enjoy F1 but the most fun racing to watch in my opinion is the touring cars (Lemans, Daytona prototypes, speed GT/touring car).

In nascar the lead changes are meaningless though, you draft by me, then I am in your draft and get you right back, if i pull out a 5 second lead I am off the draft and easily catchable.

I also do think a F1 driver could finish top 10 with a months experiance in a cup car. It would have ot be the right driver for sure, but I do not think anyone in nascar could finish top 10 in the first year of an F1 schedual.

Nascar, craftsman truck, arca, they all fee eachother, and THATS IT... Champ, Indy car, F1, daytona protypes... they all switch drives, sure you wont see a lemans driver in f1 but there are current champ drivers that WERE in F1 that now run DP on some weekends....

If you took the top 5 from WRC, CHAMP, F1, Rolex, NASCAR, TOP fuel, and motorcyles and had them race 5 races all toegehter in each of the respective cars/tracks I would bet MY car that NASCAR is in the bottom half and F1 and WRC and CHAMP arei n the top half.

But thats just my .02 bench racing talking too ;)

Mopardh9 said:

Sheet metal body vs fiberglass/carbon-Fiber monocoque
350 CI V-8 naturally aspirated (9000 RPM redline) vs 2.4L V-8 (19,000 RPM redline)
4 speed H-gate transmission vs 7 speed electronic sequential transmission
Basic 2 button steering wheel vs advanced steering wheel with built in LCD display and controls

yea i'd say you're right, mopar.

Damn right! I was talking Infineon too, not an Oval track if you look at my previous post. I would be willing to put down a sizeable wager that Jeff Gordon could step into an F-1 car and be competitive after a months practice!

And thats fine, thats 1 driver with varied experiance, but how about allll of nascar V.s. alll of F1, lets face it, the standard for an F1 driver is higher than any other racing series in the world....

Just because the standard, so you say, is higher doesn't mean that Nascar drivers could not whip the tails of F-1 drivers. I like Magnets' idea , put them in Iroc cars on a road course and lets see what happens!!

Yep it does, i remember when Mario ran Iroc, i believe it was during his F-1 days or just after it. He did ok. Here is the link:http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/IROCHISTORY.htm Seems guys like him were very versatile, I think Tony Stewart is very much the AJ Foyt or Mario of our day. I just think that a lot of the Nascar guys could do quite well when matched up against F-1 guys in equally prepared cars.

I think a better comparison would be to put nascar and F1 guys in Daytona Prototypes.... you have to try and pick something equally distant from either's hom track/car.

NO NASACR guy would do well against F1 guys in F1 cars... and i would conceed that F1 guys would struggle with a NASCAR ride as well. But I guess my point is that the F1 series experiance and skills are much better suited to JGTC, WRX, CHAMP, ROLEX, Lemans, Speed GT/Touring, heck NHRA (Standaing starts rule) and almost any other series out there....

AJ Foyt won twice - INDY CAR GUY
Bobby unser - won once - INDY CAR/Rally
Al Unser/Jr won a combind 3 times - INDY CAR GUYS
Andretti - INDY CAR
so 7 of the first 12 IROC series were NON NASCAR guys and non of the NASCAR guys could repeat.

But it has alos been since 1988 that anyone besides a nascar driver has won, go figure with cup cars and circle tracks only that most of the rest of the field never sees, thats a huge advantage to the nascar crowd, hence i dont put much stock in IROC more than filler air time on speed TV.
:)

well IROC has a road course now, and if they accept stewart's offer, a 2007 dirt track.

Now throwing nascar and F1 in DP's would be something...Stewart, both gordons, and maybe kahne would give the F1 guys a run for their money.

Hey I would seriously LOVE to see the top 3 guys from F1, NASCAR, CHAMP, Lemans, IRL, and one of the touring series (thats a 18 car field) each pick 2 tracks fomr their respective series, and race eachothers cars at eachothers series. From NASCAR at datona to F1 and monaco, to Champ and long beach... tell me that would not be badass!

Tenative Schedul
Monaco - F1
Daytona - NASCAR
Road America - Champ car
Motegi - IRL
Infineon - SPeed GT
Mid Ohio- Lemans
Sazuca - F1
Dayton - NASCAR
Long Beach - Champ Car
Watkins GLen - IRL
Laguna Seca - Speed GT
Sebring - Lemans

Thats would be one fun series to see.... way better than IROC

That would be wicked cool! :beerbang: I like the Daytona prototype idea, i love watching those cars run Lemans or The 24hrs of Daytona, I drive my wife crazy because i watch so much of it.

Mopardh9 said:
That would be wicked cool! :beerbang: I like the Daytona prototype idea, i love watching those cars run Lemans or The 24hrs of Daytona, I drive my wife crazy because i watch so much of it.
same here!!!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, now even "I" would warm up to THAT idea!!!!!

Sounds really exciting!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Interesting hearing Jeff Gordons interview during the USGP, basically admitting he couldent find the limits of the car, and admitting he did not currently have the strength to handle a full race in an F1 ride.....

P.S. I am off of these forums, not enough chatter outside of NASCAR, but i had to make my last point, no need to reply....

Back
Top Bottom