TV Alert, Global Rallycross Live Today

Was this part of the x games coverage today? If so, phew.. I think it's recorded..

Washington DC Global Rallycross Live 2PM Sunday on NBC. I was there today, will be there tomorrow. Should be good

ah, thats too bad. its a pretty cool event. first time i've checked them out in person.

Don't know if it is the car, or the competition has gotten stiffer for Foust. Piquet the kicker is in the main.

Kristen Kenney :wub::growl:
hot.gif
drool.gif

Fun event, really liked the track. Great small circuit they made there, I could see 90% or more of the track from my seat. Looking forward to checking out another GRC race some time. I thought they advertise their TV Coverage as live though? I didn't watch the tv broadcast yet, but it obviously cant be live, the main race was all done by 2:14 and their TV time slot was 2-3. I guess they had everything on a slight delay. IMO, there was not a good crowd. Most people there had free passes given out from sponsors, and even counting them, I doubt there were more people there than like an ARCA race at Salem, IN.

Fun event, really liked the track. Great small circuit they made there, I could see 90% or more of the track from my seat. Looking forward to checking out another GRC race some time. I thought they advertise their TV Coverage as live though? I didn't watch the tv broadcast yet, but it obviously cant be live, the main race was all done by 2:14 and their TV time slot was 2-3. I guess they had everything on a slight delay. IMO, there was not a good crowd. Most people there had free passes given out from sponsors, and even counting them, I doubt there were more people there than like an ARCA race at Salem, IN.

Kindof a bummer, an awesome brand of racing but I personally don't see it surviving in the states. I've always wanted to make it to X-Games LA to see rx.... More-so now since it's actually part of a championship series..

Well I think it is a sign of the times and it fills a niche. If it is run well it will survive I think. They race on parking lots a lot. don't have to maintain a racetrack and with TV coverage for some of it and also going to other countries and racing different brands, the fan base might be large enough to make it viable. Lots of the younger urban crowd drive those kind of cars. I noticed a VW add during the race. in a city, two guys acting like they were rallying in the inner city.

Well I think it is a sign of the times and it fills a niche. If it is run well it will survive I think. They race on parking lots a lot. don't have to maintain a racetrack and with TV coverage for some of it and also going to other countries and racing different brands, the fan base might be large enough to make it viable. Lots of the younger urban crowd drive those kind of cars. I noticed a VW add during the race. in a city, two guys acting like they were rallying in the inner city.

They don't have to maintain a track throughout the year, although the track itself was pretty impressive, it definitely took a lot of time and effort to put it together. I'm sure that was a lot of money to spend for just 2 days of use. And i'm guessing the series was renting the parking lot from the soccer stadium? Not sure.

The thing they have going for them is a lot of really good sponsor support. Red Bull was really into it. Red Bull signage everywhere, they had some nice temporary towers assembled that looked great with all the red bull signage on it. Insane amounts of free red bull was given out. I'm sure Red Bull, Royal Purple, Volkswagen and some of the other major sponsors are putting a lot of money into the series. That TV deal on NBC can't be cheap. I mentioned most of the tickets were freebies, and yeah, there were many nice hospitality areas set up for VW and a few other companies. Hopefully Red Bull and some of the other big sponsors will stay on for many years.

They do a good job making it fan friendly too. The paddock is completely open for everyone, they had an autograph session both days. I've only started following this series recently and I love it. And, as with any race, its much much more enjoyable being there than it will ever be on tv. Great experience, check it out if they are in your region. I'll probably be going again when they stop in Detroit later in the summer.

When he gets ahold of the new beetle things should improve IMO

Both VWs (Foust and Speed) had problems Saturday, neither ran in the races on Saturday (which forced them both to start last in their heats on Sunday). They both had to change engines before Sunday.

Both VWs (Foust and Speed) had problems Saturday, neither ran in the races on Saturday (which forced them both to start last in their heats on Sunday). They both had to change engines before Sunday.
Speed is leading it all with a pretty fair lead in a V dub, but man what a string of hungry Fords behind him. Piquet in second probably a good drawing card when they go south.

Speed is leading it all with a pretty fair lead in a V dub, but man what a string of hungry Fords behind him. Piquet in second probably a good drawing card when they go south.

When they go south? Charlotte? Daytona? Barbados was their only international race this year. I think they did have a race in Brazil last year though. Scott Speed is leading Piquet by 1 point now

Found this article http://www.wtop.com/351/3649713/Red-Bull-Volkswagen-bet-on-motorsports-in-DC

The event drew a two-day total of more than 10,000 spectators, which may not sound like many, but given that it was a first-time event and reached the fans it was created for, Mayer considered it a success.
"From our perspective it went extremely well," he says, especially of the Sunday crowd, which he says maxed out the capacity they'd agreed on with fire officials. "That, for us, was a home run."

Approx 5,000 a day(sunday did have a bigger crowd, but not by a huge amount), that seems about like what ARCA gets for some of their short track events, except most people purchased tickets for those, most of them at GRC were free from sponsors. I like the series but that really doesnt sound great. But if the sponsors are putting enough $$$ into it, maybe its making a profit. Thats all that matters.

When they go south? Charlotte? Daytona? Barbados was their only international race this year. I think they did have a race in Brazil last year though. Scott Speed is leading Piquet by 1 point now

Guess the red bull website is off, it is Showing Speed ahead of Piquet by 27 points in the drivers championship.

Guess the red bull website is off, it is Showing Speed ahead of Piquet by 27 points in the drivers championship.

There is an article that shows the unofficial points with Speed ahead by 1 point. I watched the tv broadcast yesterday and it showed that as well. The points you are seeing must be from before the DC round.

yeah must be. I found what you are saying on the same redbull website I was looking at, they haven't updated the standings, but the article has Piquet only one point down now.

Foust was last in points coming into this race, they seem quite eager to recieve the new car

Foust was last in points coming into this race, they seem quite eager to recieve the new car

Don't know if you watched the races from Barbados and Austin but he did flip during his heat races during both events. So it wasn't a problem with the car that caused him to be so low in points. Just big on track incidents.

I'm at the track, heats were really good yesterday. Should be a good show this afternoon

Back
Top Bottom