Twisted fate.....

97forever

Team Owner
About a fraction of an inch and Tim Steele could have owned NASCAR.One little opportunity,one little rotation of the earth or a solar flare and it could have been 4X champion Tim Steele by now.

Tim is only 35 years old today and though he bravely and optimistically struggles on.....his shot at the big time is effectively over.While watching the arca race during the rain delay today that became painfully clear.Don't get me wrong,I dont personally know Tim.Couldn't tell you from a personal standpoint.Just know what I have been told.

I have been lucky enough to hang around Hueytown and sit in on some of Bobby Allison's tales of races and glory.And according to Bobby,well HE is the best ever.Red Farmer is 'close to as good'...and Tim Steele?Tim Steele once drove for Bobby.And could have been as good.85 WC wins good.

A lot of folks of the 'since-Gordon' era have never heard of this stock car driver.What a shame that is.A real brief thumbnail of his ASA-ARCA record is astonishing though.After starting his career at age 5 racing of all things motorcycles on ice,against 14 year olds...he won.Right out of the gate.From ages 16-18 Tim won ROTY honors in NAMRA mini-champ cars and two consectutive championships in those cars.

He hit ASA at 21 years old and beat Ted Musgrave,Bob Senneker and Scott Hansen in his 17th start.But thats just ASA right?At the age of 24 at the winchester400 Nascar all-pro series he raced against three up and coming Nascar youngsters:Bobby Labonte,Kenny Wallace and Jeff Gordon.Along with a full field of guys like Butch Miller.Tim won handily,beating NASCAR's future superstars in a series he as well as they were only part-time in.

And ARCA?Davey Allison advised Tim that the fast way to get 'noticed' would be to shoot for ARCA ROTY honors.Tim did.And at the end of that season,his ROTY was safe as he was the Champion that year.In his rookie year.

His nick name 'the man of Steele' was born here.By the time this 2003 ARCA season started he had 135 career starts,41 wins,including three straight at Talledega.

But Talledega was rough on Tim.Smacking him up in october 1999 and landing him in a Birmingham hospital with mild brain damage.And that was just the start.His CTS start,where he won a pole and led at nashville,was ended by this accident.And then the pain killers came along.And the addiction to them.And several aborted ARCA starts...all attempts to get back in form.And all failures.Tim Steele has still run good from time to time...still much better than average.But seeing him after his wreck at Nashville and the interview was not pretty for Tim fans.Everything from his talk to his walk is different.Impaired is the word that comes to mind.

And that is just a crying shame for the driver who could have likely been one of the best ever.

Sorry to seem depressing but it's just a sad story really.A lot of IF's involved in the Tim Steele story.If only the wreck didn't happen,If only Bobby would have had sponsorship,etc. :(

Just a bummer.

I remember the incident and how he ran before. Brilliant driver.

I remember Tim's name from when I was little, it's sad to see what happened to him.

I followed Tim for a long time, always thinking he would be one of "the greats." It's really a shame.
-Rich

Another driver who comes to mind and fits the Tim Steele mold, sans the pain killer adiction and daddy's money, was Mike Alexander. This was another driver who had the talent and showed muscle on all track configurations.

Tim Steele was a very good driver before his accident.
As a driver, Bobby Allison IS one of the "greats', in that there should be no question.
Bobby Allison is a perfect example of someone who is far above average in one profession and way out of thier element in another. His overall business accumen sucked and the end result was the loss of everything accumulated in his racing history. Given a full-time opportunity with another race team the prospect for Tim Steele might have been different. As I recall, Steele's accomplishments in the NWCS races run were not especially notable but memory fade and no books to reference take a toll when trying to recall obscure specifics. A refresher course might be in order.

Mike Alexander raced as a protege to Allison in the eighties, taking, if I recall correctly, Bobby Hillin's seat in the STAVOLA (note I got it right this time) Brothers car, showing great promise. Until his head injury. :mellow:

Mike Alexander,along with Chuck Bown(remember the Bown brothers?)both actually suffered the same mis-fortune as Steele.Good point.

And Bobby was a much better driver than business man...no question there either.However in fairness the loss of both son's in a 13 month period may have made it a bit tough to put a lot of priority on his business assets.Anyway you look at it,the Bobby Allison story is pretty grim too.Bobby is on the road to personal recovery since he and Judy re-united at least.They are great folks and I wish them the best.

Steele's truck record was both irregular,underfinanced and less than it should have been.And it bears noting,occured the same season his big wreck occured.Obviously a factor.

And one more observation:
'Daddy's money' applies to a lot of current and past racers from Richard Petty to most of the Earnhardts,among many,many others.I don't hold that against Tim....daddy wasn't on the motorcycle at age 5.The addiction to pain killers is another matter and really what put the end to Steele's career.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 7 2003, 03:51 PM
And ARCA?Davey Allison advised Tim that the fast way to get 'noticed' would be to shoot for ARCA ROTY honors.Tim did.And at the end of that season,his ROTY was safe as he was the Champion that year.In his rookie year.
This part reminded me of a WI driver I really like...Johnny Sauter. He won ROTY & the ASA championship the same year. His rookie seaso in the Busch series was pretty good too...finished 15th in points & won a race at Chicagoland. (I was there too :)) Don't know what Childress thought he did wrong to have him split seat time with Harvick this year, or maybe it's what Kevin didn't do last year in WC? Not sure, but thanks go out to Mike Curb for stepping up and racing Johhny in the #43 when he isn't in the #21.

P.S. Johhny got 'punted' by the kid in #1 last night :angry:

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Jun 8 2003, 05:43 PM
17Fan [don't know what Childress thought he did wrong to have him split seat time with Harvick this year, or maybe it's what Kevin didn't do last year in WC? Not sure, but thanks go out to Mike Curb for stepping up and racing Johhny in the #43 when he isn't in the #21.
P.S. Johhny got 'punted' by the kid in #1 last night :angry:
Once again I must depend on a fragile memory bank, but I do not think Childress has anything to do with that team. It is owned by Harvick and his deal in securing a high dollar sponsor is for the car to attempt to qualify and race in all Busch events. It also includes having Harvick in the driver seat at specified events with an approved by the sponsor driver to fill in the events where Harvick does not drive.

I had the chance to see Tim Steele run away with a few at Talladega back in the mid-nineties. He always had a good car there. He was one of the few who could drive away from a pack of cars there by himself.

Originally posted by Whizzer@Jun 9 2003, 07:33 AM
Once again I must depend on a fragile memory bank, but I do not think Childress has anything to do with that team. It is owned by Harvick and his deal in securing a high dollar sponsor is for the car to attempt to qualify and  race in all Busch events. It also includes having Harvick in the driver seat at specified events with an approved by the sponsor driver to fill in the events where Harvick does not drive.
This a link to the team charts at BGN racing's site. Richard Childress is listed as the owner. Also, they show Johhny & Kevin with the Payday car at Richard's web site too. www.rcrracing.com

http://www.bgnracing.com/2003/team_chart_03.htm

WHEW !! Sure glad I covered my arse with the safety valves of, "do not think Childress has anything to do with the car" ( something I failed to do was check to see who was the owner), and as a backup, "depend on a fragile memory bank".

During a broadcast at one of the first Busch races this season, one of the commentators stated, "this is Harvick's team".
A subsequent article in the print media explained the team sponsor wanted Harvick as the driver but the demands of Harvick competing in all Busch races was too demanding and the present situation was a compromise.

The team owner is spelled out in the official list. Thanks 71FAN. :D

Back
Top Bottom