United SportsCar Series

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Who watches this? Looks like a potpourri of cars on the track at once. Similar to the 405 after the accident clears. Convoluted circus of cars. LIke a Mad Max movie.

It has its flaws but it's a fun series to follow. I wish they could balance the DPs and P2s better but the DPs will be gone by 2017 anyways. The GT classes are the best.

yeah wish the GT's had the crowd the trans Am's used to pull and they ran all by themselves, but whatever take what there is. I don't see how they can make them any wider, nobody would be able to get by

Hey, @BobbyFord, you would have liked the SportsCar race at RA today. There was a lot of bumping and banging. I think they were trying to put on a show to rival the Cup cars at the Glen.

Then, after the "main event" there was a GT3 support race and a really wicked crash in Turn 5 involving three cars.

Hey, @BobbyFord, you would have liked the SportsCar race at RA today. There was a lot of bumping and banging. I think they were trying to put on a show to rival the Cup cars at the Glen.

Then, after the "main event" there was a GT3 support race and a really wicked crash in Turn 5 involving three cars.
Sorry, I was out on my jet ski after the Cup race. :)
(These things are a bitch to turn.)

Sorry, I was out on my jet ski after the Cup race. :)
(These things are a bitch to turn.)
One of my buddies has a 1200cc Yamaha WaveRunner. I like it because it's the fastest thing on our local lake and I can smoke all the dumbasses on their rented bull**** SeaDoos out there. Then some a**hole showed up last summer with a turbocharged Honda jetski and kicked my ass.

You'd think some of these guys never watched NHRA pro stock motorcycles, they try to race sitting straight up. :dirtbike:

Got done watching it on DVR. I have to say that was quite a mess with full-course yellows. They may have to change that protocol again.

:XXROFL: Gustavo Yacaman. He's right - BoP was a joke here. P2s weren't even close to the DPs on the straights.

I hate Action Express whining about Wayne Taylor Racing all the time. Fittipaldi came down on Ricky Taylor, pretty clearly. AE race every track like it's Martinsville anyways.

Good battles in PC and GTLM.

Got done watching it on DVR. I have to say that was quite a mess with full-course yellows. They may have to change that protocol again.

Yes, the second half of the race was kind of a mess. Like I said, a lot more bumping and banging than you usually see in a sports car race, I thought.

There was a pretty bad wreck in turn 5 in the untelevised GT3 race after the Tudor main event where everybody races street stock Porsche 911 GT3s. One guy got off the racing line and loose in the marbles coming out of the straightway that includes "Turn" 4 and locked up the tires and collected two other cars. We always sit in Turn 5 for most of the race and they all three hit the tire barriers outside Turn 5 pretty hard. One Porsche drove off, one guy got out of his car and limped to the ambulance and the final guy wouldn't get out of his car for like 10 minutes before he got out under his own power and went to the ambulance. It was pretty scary, especially with the Stewart thing on everybody's mind but all three involved seemed to be okay. Or at least walked away themselves.

That was probably the worst accident there I've seen with my own eyeballs. There have been worse there, even years I've been there, but never happened where I saw them. It was a 45 minute race and it only took about 20 minutes to clean that one up.

Had a chance to head to my first Sports Car race Sunday and I'll say this. I've NEVER really followed anything that wasn't NASCAR/Indy/F1 but I was blown away by how much fun I had. I seriously had no idea it was going to be so interesting.

The multi class racing leads to some crazy things on the track and the differences in cars was really cool. I may not be a "fan" going forward but I'll definitely keep my eye on this series. Plus, there were a lot of former/current big names from Indy and F1 in the field.

Had a chance to head to my first Sports Car race Sunday and I'll say this. I've NEVER really followed anything that wasn't NASCAR/Indy/F1 but I was blown away by how much fun I had. I seriously had no idea it was going to be so interesting.

The multi class racing leads to some crazy things on the track and the differences in cars was really cool. I may not be a "fan" going forward but I'll definitely keep my eye on this series. Plus, there were a lot of former/current big names from Indy and F1 in the field.
Were you at RA? Admit it, that place is beautiful. Either the race track or all the trees and scenery. It's like paradise for a racing fan.

I'm afraid if they get a Cup date they'll cut down all the trees to build more grandstands along the track.

Were you at RA? Admit it, that place is beautiful. Either the race track or all the trees and scenery. It's like paradise for a racing fan.

I'm afraid if they get a Cup date they'll cut down all the trees to build more grandstands along the track.

I have not been to Road America, so not sure how it is there, but IMO some road courses should be cutting down some of their trees..
Sometimes the trees block a lot of the on track action. Went to Barber Motorsports Park for IndyCar and Grand Am, and the visibility there is great, short track, there were 2 sections of the track i couldn't see from the grandstand. One was completely out of view, nothing to do with the trees. The other section would have been completely in view if they would have just cut down a few trees...
I like trees, but not if they get in the way of the race. If i really want to see trees i can go to my local park... I go to the races to watch racing.

I actually think the "main viewing area" at Road America is big enough to allow some bigger grandstands without removing too many trees. I'd put up stands in these areas.

1- High above turn six looking down to the end of the Morraine Sweep and turn five.
2- High above Canada Corner looking up the hill towards turn 14.
3- High above the kink. That's such a cool place to watch a race.
4- Front straightaway and pitlane. I've always been underwhelmed by the bleachers there.

Road America is a little unique because the front stretch is a very unappealing place to watch a race simply because the turn five area, hurry downs, Canada Corner and the Carousel are such AWESOME places to watch from.

I've always thought the best place to watch a race in all of the world is at the restaurant that overlooks the sweep, turn five, turn six, turn 14 and the hill leading up to the front stretch. I'd been going to the Indy races at Road America since the early 90s. No place is better.

Back
Top Bottom