Unpopular Sports Opinions

Johnny G

Team Owner
Like the one in the NASCAR thread but about non motorsports.

Should lead to some fun debate.

I'll start off:

Brett Favre is the most overrated quarterback in NFL history.

I want more fighting in hockey

I agree with most of these, some strongly.

I don’t like Michael Jordan, never have. I haven’t watched one second of The Last Dance and I don’t plan to.

He was every bit as great on the court as he was celebrated to be. Yet I find him a profoundly uninteresting and off putting person, and don't desire to watch it either.

Connecting to that, my unpopular opinion is that I do not enjoy sports documentaries. I know some are very good, but I'm solely a live sports fan. I don't like watching classic games, and I don't care enough about the human interest angles to watch documentaries. What's done is done, I'll read about it, but I get no enjoyment from watching it again.

He was every bit as great on the court as he was celebrated to be. Yet I find him a profoundly uninteresting and off putting person, and don't desire to watch it either.
Yeah, his talent was undeniable, but just watch his Hall of Fame speech to truly appreciate how much of a d-bag he is. He basically used it as a platform to trash everyone and everything that helped him get to where he is.

Like the one in the NASCAR thread but about non motorsports.

Should lead to some fun debate.

I'll start off:

Brett Favre is the most overrated quarterback in NFL history.
BOLD. I watched every Favre game and strongly disagree...I would say he's top-5 greatest.

My unpopular opinion is that the MLB and NBA should have an 80-game regular season and the postseason series should be 3 games each, with both championship series taking place at a neutral site.

BOLD. I watched every Favre game and strongly disagree...I would say he's top-5 greatest.

My unpopular opinion is that the MLB and NBA should have an 80-game regular season and the postseason series should be 3 games each, with both championship series taking place at a neutral site.
Agreed especially considering post Sterling Sharpe's neck injury, he never played with an elite wide receiver. At 40 he made Sidney Rice look like Larry Fitzgerald

Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are both not HOF quarterbacks. Eli ran hot in the playoffs twice with a defensive dominant team to win his rings (incredible short-run performance, fantastic high pressure moments yes, hof worthy no). Rivers bulk statted non-injured his way into big career passing numbers in insignificant situations and a pass happy nfl era, while capping the Charger's potential with his own blunders.

Regarding Favre.

I by no means think he wasnt good. He was. But he wasnt GREAT. Also i understand he was very fun to watch because of his wild sometimes reckless style of play.
I just routinely see him listed as a top 10 of all time and to me theres more than 10 guys i'd put ahead of him.

Regarding Favre.

I by no means think he wasnt good. He was. But he wasnt GREAT. Also i understand he was very fun to watch because of his wild sometimes reckless style of play.
I just routinely see him listed as a top 10 of all time and to me theres more than 10 guys i'd put ahead of him.
The guy won 3 consecutive MVPs and he's just good?

The guy won 3 consecutive MVPs and he's just good?
13-11 career in the playoffs.
30 INTS in 24 playoff games.
Career record for Interceptions.

He was fun to watch.
He had an arm
He was a terrible decision maker.

13-11 career in the playoffs.
30 INTS in 24 playoff games.
Career record for Interceptions.

He was fun to watch.
He had an arm
He was a terrible decision maker.
Not many quarterbacks have 13 playoff wins. I'm pretty sure that's top 5. He also has 44 playoff touchdown passes. You know the only 2 guys with more?

Tom Brady and Joe Montana

Favre didn't play with any HOF receivers and brought his teams to the final four 5 times. He had to go against the Dallas cowboys who were freaking loaded 3 straight years when he was lighting it on fire. Favre was reckless in a couple big situations for sure, but if a top 10-15 quarterback of all time isn't great and just good that's crazy in a 100 year league.

Another point on Favre is most of the time his teams overachieved. In 2007 he definitely choked. And 2009 he threw a terrible interception against the saints, but Adrian Peterson and company were turning the ball over all game, not to mention Favre's ankle was swollen to hell and he took a beating due to bountygate. If that game was played with today's rules or even competent refs there were 5-7 15 yard penalties. Most qbs would have been out.

Also a lot of people don't remember Favre way way outplayed Elway in Superbowl 32,but Terrell Davis went off.

Pete Rose should be in the HoF.

Peyton Manning is way overrated.
I agree with both of these. I think Pete’s done his time, 31 years is long enough.

As for Peyton Manning, for the stats he put up he should have more than two rings, especially considering he was mostly along for the ride on that second one. The defense got the Broncos to the Super Bowl that year and won it for them once they got there.

My final piece of Favre. Promise. Lol .I think in the end he does go down as one of the biggest stars of his era. No doubt. He was a highlight reel both good and bad. I think he was a top 11-15 QB all time where as alot of ppl have him as a possible top 5. Thats what i meant by over rated.

Next:
I agree with the above post. Id voter for pete rose in the HOF. Definitely before id vote for Barry Bonds or Rodger Clemens.

On another baseball note:
The Houston Astros are getting excessively torn to shreds over the sign stealing. Sign stealing has been part of baseball since day 1. The Astros just found a better way to do it. MLB is hitting them so hard because they have lived with 20 years of complaints about how they did NOTHING during the stereoid era.

The Houston Astros are getting excessively torn to shreds over the sign stealing. Sign stealing has been part of baseball since day 1. The Astros just found a better way to do it. MLB is hitting them so hard because they have lived with 20 years of complaints about how they did NOTHING during the stereoid era.
The Astros excessively cheated. What do you mean by torn to shreds? Not one player was punished. MLB fined them 5 million and pretty sure they had no problem paying. They took away a couple draft picks. If you are talking about the fans tearing them to shreds then that"s what happens when you cheat. Fans can be cruel

Pete Rose should be in the HoF.

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Mark McGwire should be as well. Generally, baseball writers are among the most insufferable people in the world with their pretense of moral gatekeeping.

The Astros deserve everything they are getting. Rose deserved a long ban. Cheating should be properly punished when exposed. The Hall of Fame should accurately include the greatest baseball players in history. It isn't the Hall of Most Upstanding.

The Astros excessively cheated. What do you mean by torn to shreds? Not one player was punished. MLB fined them 5 million and pretty sure they had no problem paying. They took away a couple draft picks. If you are talking about the fans tearing them to shreds then that"s what happens when you cheat. Fans can be cruel
By torn to shreds i meant mostly by the media and fans.

Dan Fouts and Air Coryell was the most fun football to watch ever!

Too bad they neglected their defense. :confused:

Sorry to anger their fans, but I do not find watching golf or fishing exciting at all. Worse than watching baseball.

I'll never understand how two of the most boring sports (Golf and Tennis) always have the most prize money.
for tennis I only watch because I play it, before I started playing I didn't get the appeal but now I find it fascinating. probably my favorite sport to watch

golf is probably the same way, most people I know that watch golf have played a good bit

for tennis I only watch because I play it, before I started playing I didn't get the appeal but now I find it fascinating. probably my favorite sport to watch

golf is probably the same way, most people I know that watch golf have played a good bit
True that people who participate in a sport find it appealing to watch too. Effects racing fans too - one way to generate more interest in racing is to get people to go to the track. Ride-along and driver school programs are great for this too. Watching on TV doesn't help much - racing loses too much flavor over television waves.

Back
Top Bottom