Unscientific poll about NASCAR car noise

Should NASCAR lower the sound output of cars?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • With all the issues the sport has, why is this in the news?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It really doesn't matter to me. I've been to races where mufflers were required to limit noise and it didn't change anything for me.

Are people really gonna lose their minds if the cars are quieter?

It really doesn't matter to me. I've been to races where mufflers were required to limit noise and it didn't change anything for me.

Are people really gonna lose their minds if the cars are quieter?
Based on the other thread, that appears to be the case.

I believe Waltrip's comments were reactive to Nascar considering this, rather than the other way around. It didn't originate with him IMO.

I voted #3 but wouldn't oppose a slight decibel reduction. I would oppose a major reduction.

I believe Waltrip's comments were reactive to Nascar considering this, rather than the other way around. It didn't originate with him IMO.

I voted #3 but wouldn't oppose a slight decibel reduction. I would oppose a major reduction.
A slight reduction sure, but I dont want them to sound like street cars.

True, but he has always been happy to yes every whim of Nascar.
If Nascar expressed a positively desire to pursue louder cars, he would be in favor of that, too.

NASCAR seems to let any changes they make slip out beforehand as trial balloons so the messengers get slammed first but they probably already have their minds made up about this issue.

I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly here) that residents around Homestead (I believe) were complaining about the noise levels and may have been planning filing suit. Anyone know anything about this?

True, but he has always been happy to yes every whim of Nascar.
If Nascar expressed a positively desire to pursue louder cars, he would be in favor of that, too.
^ I agree.

Another issue is enforcement. I guess teams would be hiring sound engineers by the dozen. I doubt it would be as simple as the decibel test I cheated on back in the 1970s. As part of tech inspection, we had to accelerate past the decibel meter with the throttle pinned in second gear. They were very clever at catching anyone who feathered the throttle. So I gassed it WFO... but in third gear... and no one was the wiser. I doubt that would work at Nascar.

^ I agree.

Another issue is enforcement. I guess teams would be hiring sound engineers by the dozen. I doubt it would be as simple as the decibel test I cheated on back in the 1970s. As part of tech inspection, we had to accelerate past the decibel meter with the throttle pinned in second gear. They were very clever at catching anyone who feathered the throttle. So I gassed it WFO... but in third gear... and no one was the wiser. I doubt that would work at Nascar.

I think Nascar could issue them out like they do the plates. Teams could even show up at with just the headers and end pieces installed at the track, ready for issue.

In some cases mufflers can be seen as a performance enhancement tool. Not sure if Legends cars still run a Borla (sp?) muffler or not, in the 90s that were considered to be advantageous for performance. Some tracks prohibited them as a result, while some required them for noise control.

Back
Top Bottom