Unwanted Live Messaging From NASCAR.com

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
Contributor
Recently, I've started receiving live, real-time messaging from NASCAR.com in boxes in the right hand lower corner of my browser and which I don't care to receive. For example, I had DVR'd the Xfinity race yesterday from Chicago and had not yet had a chance to watch it.

Before watching the race, I received a live message from NASCAR.com on my computer however saying that the 20 car had been disqualified after the race for failing inspection. Since I had not yet watched the race, I was beyond annoyed at having that information displayed in front of me without my permission and without having NASCAR.com open or loaded anywhere in my browser.

This was not the same as having something from NASCAR emailed to me....I've given permission for that beforehand and since I am on the Fan Council, I frequently received emails from NASCAR with no problem. Real time messaging is another story however. I have given no permission for that that I am aware of.

This is not the first time this has happened with NASCAR.com. Does anyone know of a browser setting or extension I can use to keep this from happening? I mainly use Firefox browser with the "Noscript" extension. I've gone ahead and blocked Javascript from NASCAR.com with "Noscript".

I can't find any settings on the website itself to keep this from happening but I've also gone ahead and sent a site feedback message about this to NASCAR.com website as well. I'm not sure if any of these actions are sufficient to keep this from happening in the future however.

have you enabled notifications from NASCAR.com?
If so, disable.

Thanks for your response.

I've never created a profile on NASCAR.com thus no way to disable notifications. I do have a profile on nascarfancouncil.com but there is no way to disable any notifications from there. I also don't think that's where the messages are coming from however.

I decided that the site must be sending the messages to site visitors. I have gone ahead and removed all cookies from NASCAR.com and blocked it from placing any new cookies on my system. We'll see what that does, I guess.

More than likely just a “new article” or “breaking news” alert.

NASCAR marketing team has no regard for spoilers. All of their video titles for highlights are riddled with spoilers.

If you're using Windows 10, you can go to settings/system/notifications & actions and turn notifications off.

Thanks. I had just found that. They are called "Push" messages in Firefox. I went into the settings and discovered that NASCAR.com was set to "allow". I set it to "block" and that should solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom