USAC 2020

Good midget race. Seavey was gone before the GWC, Thorson capitalized. The sprints are running now, Seavey in the catch fence early, thankfully OK.

Justin Grant wins Friday's sprint car feature over Tyler Courtney. Sunshine pulled a questionable slide job on Brody Roa earlier in the race, but Roa would have been smarter to brake and duck under him.

Both sprints and midgets back in action tonight.

Buddy Kofoid wins after a torrid battle with Kyle Larson. Windom flat dumped Stenhouse for 6th place in the final corner to win the championship by a single point over Courtney, who finished third. Not a fan of that, but it was quite a dramatic battle.

This is with regard to Windom driving through Stenhouse on the last lap, and wrecking Kaylee Bryson during the race. Possibly Thomas Messeraull also. He got his championship, which makes him a USAC Triple Crown champion of all three divisions, but he drove like a madman to do it and ruined other drivers' races.

Highlights here, what a show between Kofoid and Larson with young Buddy coming out on top.

It looked like Larson's car laid down for a second when it was down on the bottom of turn three in the last couple of laps. Kofoid was giving Larson all he could handle anyway. Larson pulled some questionable moves IMO and Kofoid had to lift more than once.

It looked like Larson's car laid down for a second when it was down on the bottom of turn three in the last couple of laps. Kofoid was giving Larson all he could handle anyway. Larson pulled some questionable moves IMO and Kofoid had to lift more than once.

A couple of Larson's sliders were definitely right on the edge. Kofoid did a great job keeping his composure and staying in it.

A couple of Larson's sliders were definitely right on the edge. Kofoid did a great job keeping his composure and staying in it.
IDK, anytime the driver behind has to check up to keep them both from wrecking. It's one thing if it was accidental, but Larson was forcing Kofoid to lift or wreck and Kofoid had no choice. Kofoid beat him clean. Heck of a race at any rate.

One mistake for Larson was all it took:
“Whenever you have an exciting race like that, it’s hard to be disappointed about a second,” Larson continued. “I just made a mistake. I thought I could go to the bottom there and just try to change up the rhythm the run and the race there, but I just got in, got to the brakes and stalled, and that cost me. I just hate that I made a mistake there, but I had a lot of fun racing with Buddy.”

Windom is flying up in thin air if he adds his name to that bunch of racers

While Windom hasn’t exactly clinched the title, there are but two races remaining in the 2020 season this Friday and Saturday night, November 20-21 at Merced (Calif.) Speedway, both of which will pay 50 appearance points to all licensed USAC National Midget drivers and teams, regardless of performance, all but ensuring Windom’s series crown.

That places Windom in the enviable position as the point leader entering the Merced events, putting him in the driver’s seat of becoming the seventh member of the Triple Crown club of drivers who’ve won USAC Silver Crown, National Sprint and National Midget driving championships in their career along with Pancho Carter, Tony Stewart, Dave Darland, J.J. Yeley, Jerry Coons Jr. and Tracy Hines.

Quite a battle up front until T-Mez took control about halfway through. Larson came through the B and finished 9th.

Tremendous feature race to finish the USAC season as Tanner Thorson comes out on top over Buddy Kofoid and Tyler Courtney. All three led at different points during the last 5 laps.

For some dumb reason, these last two races at Merced were showup points only events, or the championship battle here would have been great.

Back
Top Bottom