Vinyl records

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
I still have my "showgun" antenna but my oldest TV is still color.
I do remember watching B&W Tv though.
Of course I am only 74.

I had a record player (and still have a ton of vynil records). And a ton of VHS tapes. And a typewriter somewhere. I'm only 29. :p

Silly old people thinking I don't know old technology.

I'm surprised you have vinyls at the age of 29....... I still have between 250 and 300 and bought my last one around the time you were born. ;)

Vynil is actually "in" again. A lot of young people buy vynil records because of the superior sound quality. They sell the newer music on vynil at Best buy.

Yeah, I also own vinyl. When I bought my record player, I asked my dad for his record collection, which he showed me when I was in high school, but he had thrown them out because he thought that they were worthless.

Yeah, I also own vinyl. When I bought my record player, I asked my dad for his record collection, which he showed me when I was in high school, but he had thrown them out because he thought that they were worthless.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My generation is the beneficiary of your generation thinking that vinyl was useless :p

I've found some good albums for really cheap because someone just unloaded them without second thought.
I never thought they were useless....... that's the reason I still have mine..... your dad did..... that's why he pitched his...... other folks sold theirs for pennies on the dollar...... that's where you are getting yours....... you are right...... you are garnering the benefits......... ;)

My favorite vinyl memories was the artwork or photos. Lots of covers were almost a scrap book.
The photography for Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and Martina McBride 1990s CDs were great too. Wouldn't been even better blown up on a vinyl cover.

I bought most of my vinyl albums after college so they are in reasonable shape. And friends gave me their old albums over the years. The local music store says they sell more vinyl albums than CDs. When I looked into converting some albums to MP3 (it's a lot of work), I discovered that CDs were designed to be listened to with headphones, the music is normalized which means the softer parts of a song are amplified and louder parts toned down so the whole song is closer to the same volume. Vinyl isn't normalized, it is designed to play on an audio system so the volume of a song varies more and has higher fidelity. Analog sounds better on an audio system but digital doesn't ware out and is more portable.

I admit I'm a vinyl junkie. Buy it all the time, although a lot of it is used oldies since they don't release as many current songs on vinyl any more. I have approximately 15,000 45s, and about 2000 albums. I also have about 1000 CDs and some cassettes and even some 8-track tapes. But yes, I am a nut for 45s. Even have custom built chests of drawers to hold them and others to hold the albums. I just bought another dozen 45s on eBay yesterday - claim to be new-old stock (unplayed). I caught this bug back when I used to DJ on our college radio station.

Sound quality is subjective, and condition is most important (the quality of your stereo system is pretty important too). I have some albums on both vinyl and CD that people don't have much trouble telling that the vinyl version sounds better... but typically these are CDs that were released not long after CDs became popular. The older CDs were made from tapes equalized for vinyl - today's CD releases are better because they are equalized from the beginning for CD. They upped the bass for vinyl and that makes CDs made from those tapes sound muddy. If your vinyl is scratched up or dirty it's not going to sound good.

Pretty easy to accumulate this much stuff when I've been buying it for over forty years, and a lot of it is pretty cheap used. Which also means my collection is worth a lot more in enjoyment content than in dollar value. Friends "dig it" when we have a party and I play DJ. Often their kids are mesmerized because they didn't even know vinyl exists.

I admit I'm a vinyl junkie. Buy it all the time, although a lot of it is used oldies since they don't release as many current songs on vinyl any more. I have approximately 15,000 45s, and about 2000 albums. I also have about 1000 CDs and some cassettes and even some 8-track tapes. But yes, I am a nut for 45s. Even have custom built chests of drawers to hold them and others to hold the albums. I just bought another dozen 45s on eBay yesterday - claim to be new-old stock (unplayed). I caught this bug back when I used to DJ on our college radio station.

Sound quality is subjective, and condition is most important (the quality of your stereo system is pretty important too). I have some albums on both vinyl and CD that people don't have much trouble telling that the vinyl version sounds better... but typically these are CDs that were released not long after CDs became popular. The older CDs were made from tapes equalized for vinyl - today's CD releases are better because they are equalized from the beginning for CD. They upped the bass for vinyl and that makes CDs made from those tapes sound muddy. If your vinyl is scratched up or dirty it's not going to sound good.

Pretty easy to accumulate this much stuff when I've been buying it for over forty years, and a lot of it is pretty cheap used. Which also means my collection is worth a lot more in enjoyment content than in dollar value. Friends "dig it" when we have a party and I play DJ. Often their kids are mesmerized because they didn't even know vinyl exists.
Very cool man.

I had a record player (and still have a ton of vynil records). And a ton of VHS tapes. And a typewriter somewhere. I'm only 29. :p

Saw on the news today that cassette tapes are making a rapid comeback also. I always liked them better anyway, but don't have any players anymore, although I THINK I have some of the tapes.

Saw on the news today that cassette tapes are making a rapid comeback also. I always liked them better anyway, but don't have any players anymore, although I THINK I have some of the tapes.
My wife has boxes and boxes and boxes of old cassette tapes. Probably 300 or more. She says she's keeping them as long as I keep my old NASCAR vcr tapes. I guess none of them are going anywhere. I got my grandpas vcr NASCAR tapes. Probably 85% of all races from 1985-2000 or so. Quite a few of them. I'll never let them go.

I am an analog man in a digital world brother. Not just because of the technology of it. When it comes to vinyl in particular, I love the sound. Digital clips the highs and lows

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Full on cassette collection.

The Spinners, Isley Brothers, Parliament, The O Jays, The Temptations...

I need to buy a new cassette player though.

I am an analog man in a digital world brother. Not just because of the technology of it. When it comes to vinyl in particular, I love the sound. Digital clips the highs and lows

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
I hear you, man. Although technically the world is analog and the "digital world" is artificial...
Audio is analog. To digitize it a computer has to take samples because storing and processing all of an analog audio signal is impractical. You end up with distortion - the original rounded analog signals look like up and down staircases after being digitized. During playback the computer tries to smooth over those stair steps using essentially what are educated guesses.
The questions are: can you really hear the distortion? Do you care?
If the sampling is increased the distortion lowers - modern digitizing systems have gotten pretty good. Plus the digital system can figure out which signals represent noise that isn't supposed to be part of the music, and can filter them out by merely refusing to pass them on to the speakers.
Analog recordings have limitations too. You can only recreate so much of an analog wave in the limited space of a record groove or tape width. Music has a huge dynamic range that is difficult for a phonograph needle to fully respond to, or for a tape head to react to recorded magnetic fields...
But I still like the sound on vinyl better. Maybe because I grew up with it and got used to it.

BTW, I recorded a bunch of records just last week onto cassette tapes. Needed to do a show outdoors, and turntables don't work well if there's any breeze let alone wind. I have well over 100 cassettes that I've recorded over the years, but I own few commercially recorded cassettes - never really cared for their sound and they tended to be unreliable for me. But that might just be me...

I got a **** pot full of Vinyl.

VINYL.png

Back
Top Bottom