Virus Question

G

gordon24fan

I was running a search for a file on my computer and a window popped up and it said that I had a virus with a name something like trojan. It told me to run a virus scan but when I did the scan nothing showed up. What should I do?

I'm doing some research on this for ya...I'll let you know what I come up with...hang tight.

Best bet at this point is to remove that file, as it is a trojan.

1) Delete the folder motivftp in the C:program files directory.

2) Delete the folder HACK`ASS MOTIV FTP in C:WindowsStartMenuPrograms.

3) Scan your system with your antivirus and delete all files detected as TROJ_MOTIVFTP.12.

It is not a hoax, He's talking about "troj_motivftp.12" not 3b.

And Norton had no info on this trojan.

Originally posted by paul
It is not a hoax, He's talking about "troj_motivftp.12" not 3b.

And Norton had no info on this trojan.

I hear ya Paul, and in fact I have uninstalled my Norton and replaced it with McAfee. The Norton SystemWorks was just way too cumbersome and used up way too much disc space on my little laptop.

Use AVG from grisoft.com......it's a freebie for home use with regular updates etc.....have yet to have a problem.

Ran for years in poor boy mode with no anti-v stuff at all. That be a pain let me tell ya, but it's not that hard to do if ya know what to look out for.

I've never ran an anti-virus software or a firewall.

Never been "hacked" or gotten any virii.

How do you know if you've never checked for a virus? :satisfied

:)

Because I know what to look for, I know every single application running on my system, I know exactly what they do and I examine everything that goes on my pc very closely.

That's pretty impressive. :)

I do the same, but wouldn't dare go without Norton Utilities. It's like having unprotected sex. You might get away with it, but why take a chance. ;)

There's nothing a virus can't do to a computer that I can't undo by hand.

Norton and what not are just flashy front ends. :)

So, when your computer crashes, you investigate, get rid of the virus, then move on? I would love to know how exactly you go about doing this. I'd like to impress some people I know. ;)

Find the virus, open it, look at the code, see what files it affects, open affected files, fix affected files, delete virus.

Now for the million dollar question...

How do you find the virus unless you're looking for a specific one? There are at least hundreds of thousands of them. Do you know them all so well that you recognize all of their symptoms? That's amazing, to say the least!

I know you're telling the truth, but I find it awfully hard to believe that your computer has never been infected with a virus.

It's never been infected with a virus.

I don't open attachments in emails, and I don't just click on every single link on the net.

As I said, I know every single application that's running. If something is running that shouldn't be, I check it out.

Sooo...this virus-fighting technique of yours is really only theoretical?

I don't get it. How do you know you've never gotten a virus if you've never scanned for one? A boot sector virus, for instance, wouldn't just present itself as a running application in Windows. You'd really have to be looking for it.

I'm about as careful as one can be where this stuff is concerned -- I don't open strange emails or attachments, don't go to weirdo sites on the net -- but my computer does get the occasional virus. Nothing huge that would force me to reformat, though. Floppy disks are particularly prone. And this is with an anti-virus program always running in the background!

I continue to be amazed... :)

One time I did't use my Trojan,And I picked up a virus.My hard drive was messed up for a week.:p

Originally posted by abooja
Sooo...this virus-fighting technique of yours is really only theoretical?

How so?

I don't get it. How do you know you've never gotten a virus if you've never scanned for one?

Because my system runs in perfect working order, and my comp has never had any symptoms of a virus. Am I to just assume that I have the flu regardless of whether or not I'm sick in bed?

A boot sector virus, for instance, wouldn't just present itself as a running application in Windows. You'd really have to be looking for it.

Maybe you should make your own boot floppies, and you won't run into that problem.

Besides, I can check system memory myself and see if the numbers are wrong...which would point to a possible BSV. Why have some third party app do it for me?

I continue to be amazed... :)

No need to be amazed...

Well, how do you fight a virus if you've never had one? :)

Because my system runs in perfect working order, and my comp has never had any symptoms of a virus. Am I to just assume that I have the flu regardless of whether or not I'm sick in bed?

It's not quite that simple. "You cannot assume that your computer is virus free just because it seems fine...A virus does not have to do damage to be a virus". -- That's from a well respected A+ Certification book.

Maybe you should make your own boot floppies, and you won't run into that problem.

I do make my own boot floppies. It doesn't happen with them, just the occasional random floppy that gets transported from here to work, or that I've borrowed from someone. These days, I won't even use a floppy if I haven't first scanned it.

Besides, I can check system memory myself and see if the numbers are wrong...which would point to a possible BSV. Why have some third party app do it for me?

Because it's a heckuva lot easier? When I'm using a computer -- or doing anything, for that matter -- I want to get things done and move on. I can't be bogged down with manually and visually checking for viruses every five minutes. If I didn't have Norton, I'd be extremely paranoid that every little glitch was a potential virus.

How do you check for viruses in emails and such? How do you know I didn't include a virus with those photos I sent you a few months back? I didn't, of course, but I could have.

Don't take this the wrong way, Paul. Just lookin' out for you... :)

I'm not amazed at all Paul.....got a pooter geek for a son who locked down the Santa Barbara School Districts mainframe when his CS teach said he couldn't even get close it. Not bad for a 13 year old at the time.....and boy did he get in trouble over that one.

Untill I ran in to AVG I tried a few demos but never had the power to use them till I put this machine together.

Thanks a lot Paul:) I deleted the file and now when I search for files I get no pop-up saying a virus is found.

Back
Top Bottom