Ward Burton 2002

T

TN-Ward-Fan

By the skin of his teeth, the Daytona 500 champion finishes in the money. Is it the curse? Is it the fact that Ward is a second tier driver anyway? No doubt that race fell in his lap, but he had a couple others slip through his fingers too.

I'll be the first to admit that, at this stage of his career, Ward is not a serious threat to win a championship. Not in the forseeable future either. But I do believe that he and the 22 team will be better than 25th next year. I'd say a top 15 is within their grasp. I think Frankie Stoddard will be worth 3 to 5 points positions. I think what they learned this season is worth another 2 spots. Racing luck also plays a part. Realistically, 2 or 3 wins would be where I would expect them to be next season. Top 5s, maybe 8 to 10, top 20s more like 20 to 25. But maybe I'm wearing yellow and black tinted glasses.

Comments? Anyone? Anyone?

Having new teammates might help too.

I think finishing in the top 15 is quite possible for next year.

I do believe that Ward is a good driver. He wouldn't be where he is if he weren't. In all honesty, I believe that Bill Davis and his teams are not top quality teams, but second best at the most. I think that if Ward were to secure a ride in one of the top teams, he would be right up there with the rest of the best.

BTW, have you heard John Boy and Billy's ditty on Ward and Rap? It's a hoot and Billy does a great Ward.

I think Ward should have been in the top-15 in points this year, except he had some of the worst luck known to mankind. For every top-10 finish, there'd be at least one race where he was contendning for a top-5/top-10, only to have an engine give out, or get caught in a wreck not of his doing. Then there was a scab of races where he'd be one of the first cars out because of one of those problems. Ward hasn't lost anything, and he's driving a top-notch car, he just can't buy a break.

With some better luck, a top-15 in points should be easily attainable next year, and maybe even a run at the top-10. I'd say 2 more wins, a half-dozen top-5s, and 15-20 top-10s are reachable, and enough to be up there wiith the elite. Just look at Rusty: 0-7-17, and 7th in points. I don't see why Ward can't do that too.

Yeah, I heard that a couple of weeks ago. Almost slammed into a horse trailer I was behind on the way to work, I was laughing so hard.

Word to ya momma and them...

I look for Ward to have a very good run at making the top ten next season.

Seems the car was at times much better than in years past and much better more often. If the team can chase away some of the mechanical gremlins which bit them this and work hard to avoid those occassions such as the last race at Rockingham the luck will take care of itself.

I believe the addition of Stoddard will help with those things within the teams control.

If he could qualify towards the front more often, the chance of him being in all the accidents would greatly decrease. He just hangs back there with the wrong crowd.

as long as they keep the equip. good, ward should have a stellar year next year. nobody can have that much bad luck 2 years in a row. bd racing has always been a champ caliber team with good drivers. now its time to show it in the cup series. maybe hs can pull some info from the busch series?

Originally posted by judas1
maybe hs can pull some info from the busch series?

I doubt it, he runs Pontiacs in the Busch Series.

i am talkin about bill davis and his history of drivers and records.:eek:

Sorry Judas, I missed this question.

Bill Davis has had a couple of very good drivers in BGN, but success has been lukewarm. His best career drivers in BGN were Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon who both had three wins each in near equal numbers of starts. Course we all know it's the car not the driver. That does NOT include this season with Scott Wimmer.

Rather than try and list all the stats go here for all the stats on BDR in both WC and BGN, plus a little history.

Bill Davis Racing History and Stats Link

I am was and still am very happy with Frank Stoddard.The races that I can remember this year when he has Crew Chiefed Ward.........he has put Ward in 5th,10th,12th,16th,19th, and then two uncontrolable problems in races.Next year Ward will be a lot better than this year ( hopefully ).

I really hope you guys are right. Ward deserves some good luck next year and maybe Frankie is that good luck charm that he needed.

Ifn yall keep them theah Bodyines cleah away from um, Wawd'll have hem a heapin good yeah......

ro says keep the bodines away, and ward will be just fine top 5

Yeah Really!!! If you took out Brett Bodine,Todd Bodine, Jeff Green, and Jerry Nadeau........................Ward would always be in the top 10!!:)

lol, jeff green isnt so bad, at least he is still learning and improving, lol:p

Back
Top Bottom