Ward Burton 25 stripes!

H

HardScrabble

Good run for Ward today, just what is it that makes the Burton boys run so good at Darlington??

WARD BURTON (No. 22 Caterpillar Dodge Intrepid R/T)

"From where we started and finishing sixth that was a heck of a comeback. We were really off there at the beginning. We changed all kind of stuff. I hit every wall out there. I didn't get a Darlington stripe. I got 25 and about wrecked it one time. I was just out of control. I'm real happy with it. The guys fixed the car from Bristol. They worked their tails off this week. Obviously it wasn't what we wanted coming to Darlington, but we can't have the best car every time we're here. We'll take a top six and go to Richmond and try to do better up there."

JEFF BURTON --99-- Citgo Taurus (Finished 10th) --

IT SEEMS YOU CAN'T CATCH A BREAK. "Well, we're running well. I went through there the first time and I lost the front tires really bad, like there was oil on the track. So the next time I went through there I slowed down some and I found a groove where I could get through there without a problem. I was watching the two guys in front of me just hauling butt, so I said, 'Well, it must be OK.' The third time I went down through there it just didn't turn at all. You couldn't see it. I mean, I'm not mad at NASCAR. They did their best to get it cleaned up and nobody was complaining about it. We couldn't see it and that's the way it happened. The guys did a great job to keep coming in. We caught cautions just right to keep us in the ballgame. We keep putting cars out there capable of winning a race, we're just not pulling it off."

YOU SEEMED TO HAVE A CAR CAPABLE OF CHALLENGING THE 24, 12 OR 40. "Yeah. I think the track changed a lot. I don't know if we would have been able to keep up with it. It looked like, to me, the track got away from Sterling a little bit and that's why he didn't win. But Sterling and I had the best cars, I thought, for a long time, but once I got in the wall I was done."

Good runs for both the Burton bros. They really are great at that Track...

Ward was as bad as a driver can get early, then they found it, just a little too late. Darlington is the only track on the circuit I ever pick him to win at. I really thought Jeff Burton had 'em covered there for a while, but Gordon drove a great race and had the car to beat today.

Back
Top Bottom