Ward May be Getting a Penalty...

A

Awesome_Bill

From Jayski

Penalty Likely for Ward: #22-Ward Burton and his crew chief, Tommy Baldwin, were called to the NASCAR hauler following Saturday night's Sharpie 500, where Burton was admonished for his on track demonstration following his wreck Lap 404. Burton was hit by Dale Earnhardt Jr. and wrecked in Turn 3. Once he got out of his #22 Dodge, Burton waited on the track for Earnhardt Jr. to come around and threw his heel shields at Earnhardt Jr.'s # 8 Chevrolet. Kevin Triplett, NASCAR's managing director of business operations, said a penalty would likely be forthcoming this week regarding Burton's behavior. "Junior just didn't take his time," Burton said. "We'd been giving and taking out there all day. I've got some really good words for him that I can't say." Earnhardt Jr. said the wreck wasn't intentional. "I don't really keep it no secret when I wreck somebody. I don't do it that often. Hopefully for sure Ward knows that that wasn't intentional," Earnhardt Jr. said.(ThatsRacin.com)(8-25-2002)

Im sure your gonna love that TNward. I cant belive that Middle finger Jimmie is getting a penaty though...

Once NASCAR fined Sadler for throwing his helmet, they kinda have to stick to their own precedent.

An obscene gesture may bring a penalty as well, but mebbe not.

IMHO there should be no penalties for these relatively mild demonstrations by the drivers. Now if someone throws a hammer through another drivers windshield or something like that, it would be different story altogether! :D

But If I remember correctly, Ward did day he wished he had something else to shoot at the 8. Boy, he was really pissed.

I must have missed that, I didn't see a middle finger. But he might not get a penalty since he didn't go down on to the track to display it. Sorta like Sadler hitting the ambulence and waving at his opponent.
I figured Ward would probably be up for a fine. When he climbed out of the car I said to myself "don't do it Ward". I remember from last year when he threw his helmet at Nadeau. Well I know what Jr. said in his in car communication. But if you watch all of the race you can pretty much see that Jr. was shoving weight around out there, Mikey even received some of it. Maybe that wasn't intentional either. ;)

Robby deserved that finger and Jimmie deserves a fine for it.

Believe me, Ward wasn't talking about a finger, he was talking artillary.... bullets. hehehe

I agree with HS on this. I think things are getting too technical. As long as the drivers don't bodily attack each other I don't see anything wrong with showing alittle emotion. Fans are always saying how they think the drivers are becoming NASCAR robots, so what if a driver gets out and shows his displeasure about something. Showing the middle finger is a trademark between drivers, has been for many years. But he'll probably get a fine for it. One day we will have all the drivers putting on happy faces even after they have been put into the wall. They will jump out of the car and say that's alright, you go on and win the race, I'm pulling for you man. Good grief.

Well Ward was upset and rightfully so. A lot of times the drivers will make comments like this in the heat of the moment. Ward's a good guy. He's not one of those drivers that are out there causing problems for other drivers all the time. Tomorrow is a new day, drivers will say things in the heat of the moment and later on things will mellow out.

I know what Ward was talking about, I have heard that he is quite a good hunter :)

Originally posted by gordon24fan
I know what Ward was talking about, I have heard that he is quite a good hunter :)

And I bet Ward knows a good taxidermist too....

Back
Top Bottom