was it me or...

N

NateDogg

did the halftime show really suck. Shania was allright but she wasn't even singing. No Doubt and Sting? that was absolutly horrible, damn.

Shania is so fine she could stand up there and clean her fingernails and it would be fine with me.

Didn't even watch it. Spent halftime perfecting my Rich Gannon voodoo doll.

Not very good. I actually ened up wacthign the game(sorta) I had the TV on and was on the computer playign games.

yeah it was good tell Shania went in the croud and got messed up. it allmost sounded like she was singing tell you here the music and say you laph :(

so i must have missed it to......damn:rolleyes:

I thought hte ABC production of the Super Bowl was below par, the half time show really sucked. I hate it when stuff is lip sinked like it was. To me that is just another excuse to make tons of money at the fans expense. Shanias' image is defiently changeing, i remember when she was much more conservative, and when she was like that i thought she was a lot sexier. Now she looks like all the rest of the MTV idiots.

I'm not sure what look that No Doubt chick was going for, but I think she missed it.:rolleyes:

Shania's a sham. She married one of the more prominent producers in music, Robert John "Mutt" Lange. The man who brought us Def Leppard, Back In Black, and dozens more from the hard rock era. She's Canadian, married to a metalhead...and she's gonna invade Nashville?! Yeah, right. NOW maybe her "new" sound and look make some sense. No one else ever noticed that the verse to "Honey I'm Home" is identical to Def Leppard's "Make Love Like A Man"? Gee, wonder how THAT happened...

Shania's a waste of good organs IMO.

So we are safe in saying you don't care for her much TW?:D My wife calls her Shania Twang,who came to Nashville on her puddintang.:D

It's obvious she sin't country. I could care less about her music, she looks fine doing whatever it is she's doing.

Seems there was an article in PEOPLE magazine about Shania several weeks ago and she stated she hated performing. From the looks of what she didn't have on she is quite an exhibitionist for someone who hates to perform.

But, I said it before and I'll say it again, todays "country" singers are not "country" singers 'cause "country music" ain't country music anymore and hasn't been for almost twenty years.

As for Canadiens being country singers, K.D. Lang does a pretty good job, but she is in the minority and Anne Murray can cross over to just about anything. They are two very talented Canadiens. JMHO !!!!!! :)

I didn't know that the only area in the world where their is "country" is in the southeastern United States. :eek:

I better notify the 5 generations of family that own a 700 acre dairy farm in the northernmost tip of Vermont that they're "cityfolk". :)

Originally posted by nascarwoman
There must have been a half yard of material in that thing at most. Nate, you must be a minimalist.;)

that works for me ;)

Originally posted by Mopardh9
I thought hte ABC production of the Super Bowl was below par

The whole super bowl in general? No way! ABC has Madden. That guy is the best, tells it how it is. Like to see him do a nascar race, hehe.

I had to agree with most of this article.

Not Enough Football Being
Played During Super Bowl
Too Much 'Other' Stuff Going On

By JOHN FEINSTEIN
AOL Exclusive

Has Bon Jovi stopped singing yet?

Did anyone on the East Coast stay up late enough to find out who was voted the Super Bowl MVP?

Is Paul Tagliabue the least bit concerned that his (allegedly) very best referee couldn't tell which was the home team and which was the visiting team during the coin toss? (It may have had something to do with the two teams sending out a total of TEN captains).

Celine Dion?

And finally, I know this really doesn't matter any more than any of my other questions but exactly what was Rich Gannon thinking on the last play of the game? If he wants to take a knee and end the torture, fine. If he wants to throw deep and try for a consolation score, fine. But what exactly was the point of throwing a ball that, as the result proved, had a much better chance of ending up in Tampa Bay's end zone than in Oakland's?

Those were just a few of the irrelevancies that bounced through my mind Sunday night watching what Washington Post TV critic Tom Shales so aptly called, "Super Sell XXXVII."

There was a football game spliced in there somewhere, one that had a lot of story lines, a number of twists and turns and, briefly, looked as if it might produce the most remarkable comeback in football history.

The game was far more intriguing than the 48-21 final score indicated. That's not always the case at the Super Bowl but what becomes more and more bothersome with each passing year is the difficulty of actually FINDING the game amidst the morass of hype and musical numbers and commercials.

It seems to me that's the great irony of the National Football League: it has a proven product, one that makes more money than any professional sport on the planet and yet the league is completely unwilling to let its crown jewel stand on its own merit.

Maybe Tagliabue, who ought to tithe at least 50 percent of his enormous annual salary to Pete Rozelle's estate for creating the economic system that allows the league to flourish in spite of consistently poor officiating; continuing neglect of the issue of minority hiring to positions of true authority; and a bloated season (which will be worse next year when the league returns to the god-awful week off before the Super Bowl, creating a Feb. 1 finish, just in time for spring training) should hire James Carville to remind him, "It's the game stupid!"

Of course that won't happen. One of the things about being King of the Sports World is you can pretty much do as you please and the ratings and the dollars will still roll in.

The top ticket for Super Bowl I in Los Angeles cost $12. This year it was $500. Even so, scalpers were apparently getting three and four thousand dollars for a prime ticket before the game. The price of a Super Bowl commercial goes up every year, the economy be damned, because Super Bowl commercials have become a franchise unto themselves.

Of all the insults to one's senses and sensibility, the absolute worst had to be Bon Jovi performing BEFORE the presentation of the trophy and long before the announcement of the MVP, his number surrounded by canned, pre-taped interviews with the Bucs about what it would mean to win a Super Bowl. Oh please. The NFL tells us kickoff will be at 6:18PM ET and then starts 10 minutes late. If you want to start at 6:30 start at 6:30, but don't go around acting as if you know what you're doing with this 6:18 myth.

Of course no one could have known, I suppose, that Celine Dion would take 15 minutes to sing 'God Bless America.' Did anyone get an official count on how many times she repeated those three words? The song is inspiring when sung correctly (if you caught the Irish tenor the Yankees began using after 9-11 you know what I'm talking about) but, like anything, becomes oppressive when the performer turns it into an Ode to Herself.

On the other hand, the Dixie Chicks can come to my house and sing the National Anthem (or anything else) anytime they want. They looked great and sounded great and didn't over-hype the song. The just sang it beautifully.

Can't give you a review of halftime; I was putting my kids to bed. I can tell you this: it took almost 40 minutes and I was back in time for kickoff.

The Bon Jovi deal though was insulting, not because of anything they did but because of WHEN they did it. You wait a little less than four hours for a game to end; you're exhausted, you have to work in the morning, all you want to do is hear from the coaches, a couple players and find out the MVP -- especially in this case when a dozen different players could have been safety Dexter Jackson and walked away with the trophy.

But NO, we had to wait and wait, wade through a few more commercials and then listen to Malcolm Glazer prattle on about great players, great fans, yada-yada.

All original thoughts. (Note to Tags: why don't you get the owners together during the week and recommend they simply say, "Thank you, this is a proud moment," and get off the stage before they confirm everyone's suspicions about them. Good God, where are the Rooneys when you need them.)

Speaking of the commercials, was I the only one who found them disappointing? You expect a few of them to be dumb -- the runaway truck was moronic, as were a couple of the beer spots -- but you also expect at least one or two to be memorable. Right now, nothing comes to mind, certainly nothing as good as the hidden camera Pepsi commercial a few years back or even the massively expensive Britney Spears and Michael Jackson extravaganzas.

The Michael Jordan vs. Michael Jordan was pretty good, but had been seen before and had a melancholy feel because watching Jordan slowly fade away in that uniform he's wearing today has certainly been a joyless exercise.

What about THE GAME? The Buccaneers certainly proved themselves more than worthy champions with their complete dominance of the first 42 minutes. They got a little careless up 34-3 and the Raiders deserve credit for not quitting and giving them a few queasy moments when they closed to 34-21.

Oakland fans will wonder -- but they really shouldn't wonder for too long -- if things might have been different had the officials not blown (surprise!) the pass interference call on the Bucs drive right after the blocked punt by the Raiders for a touchdown. The call, on a pass that was a good 3 yards out of bounds, allowed Tampa to kill a potentially critical four minutes.

Even so, you had to think if the Bucs defense had needed to dig in and get a stop in the final minutes, it would have. Bottom line: the better team won and boy are we going to spend a lot of time listening to Warren Sapp gloat the next few months. Did you think ABC had enough reaction shots of him?

In the end, the Super Bowl is always going to be America's biggest, most hyped sports event. It has now reached the point where news organizations send people out to cover the hype. Literally. At one point last week, a reporter from NFL Films was talking to a radio reporter for a piece on media hype while the radio guy was reporting to his host in the studio that he was talking to someone from NFL Films about her piece on media hype. He asked her a question, she asked him one. Football game? What football game?

One wonders, if the NFL decided one year to just play a normal football game -- one National Anthem, one half-time performer who gets off the stage in 15 minutes, NO post-game singing, no prattling owners, kickoff at the scheduled time and throw in some reasonably good officiating -- wouldn't the Super Bowl be more fun for everyone.

The football is terrific. I just wish it wasn't so much work to watch it.

it was all right te commercials sucked to me cept the one with my house and me on it(local one) but shina was nice

No one said you had to be from these parts to be a country singer.

Unfortunately, the self-proclaimed Home of Country Music IS in these parts.

Traditionally, the lion's share of country artists are too. I personally hate country music...always have. So it ain't nothing to me what they promote. It's just comical to see her portray herself as country in the beginning, then dump it when she hits. Bet ya she jumps back on the bandwagon as soon as CD sales start slipping...which won't be long.

Gimme bluegrass any day over that country stuff. REAL musicians playing not for dollars, but out of love of the music.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
REAL musicians playing not for dollars, but out of love of the music.

Ah but there we are back at the root of all the problems. $$$$$ Country music, or what is being billed as such, is guided by the sales of albums (CD's). The late 70's, the industry began to book crossovers and was glad to see those stars hitting it big outside the normal country circles. Sort of like what we are seeing in NASCAR today. The music of today will always be a bit different than the music of yesterday.

Hank Thompson: "I got time for one more round and a six pack to go!" They don't make em like that anymore! :)

I love music in general and I can listen to almost anything---except rap and opera. Country is what I listen to the most. I don't like what some are doing in the name of Country. I love the Dixie Chicks new songs and love Bluegrass. I didn't get to see the halftime show, but doesn't sound like I missed much!:)

Was there anyone else besides my wife who thought Do Doubt was Madonna? Since I was watching the spectacle, I knew it wasn't her, but it sure did remind me of her from her early days.

Rock n' Roll has went that way for me too. Since I've been teaching guitar I've had these kids bringing in crap they want me to teach them. It is like the 80's rock, but without the talent. What ever happened to lyrics you could understand? A singer who had a voice that you could stand to hear? Musicians who could play well enough that they didn't have to have so many effects to cover up their inadequacies?

They are awesome, Warren Haynes from the Allmans.

I'll get you a show in the near future. :)

Thanks Paul. I have been getting stuff from bands like "blurr" etc.

Good. That crap sucks. But deciphering and teaching it pays the bills.:rolleyes:

well, i was almost distracted enough to not notice shanias lip sinking, but did anyone else seem to think that the no doubt chick was really digging sting?

She always dances like that. But there is that whole thing he always bragged about...being able to have sex for 20 hours or something.

Back
Top Bottom