Was that a race ?

Whizzer

Gig'em
Ah yessssssssss!!!! Thank goodness the annual demolition derby is over. The big winner, Jimmie Johnson, forecast by Humpy Wheeler last week, who has predicted winner number nine out of fifteen.

Losers were any car that wrecked.

For the teams and fans of those who had cars torn up, the speculation surrounding the winner becomes a "but if" situation.
The questions are endless with scenarios surrounding "but if" Jeff Gordon hadn't tagged Ward Burton, could Ward have won ?? OR, "but if" Tony hadn't tried his pass where he did................................
"But if" Junior was closer to the front when the Stewart/LaBonte crash took place, could Dale have won the WInston ??? "But if" the re-start hadn't been waved off with Harvick and Busch passing on the right, would anyone have caught Busch ??? "But if" LaBonte had another ten laps could he have caught Johnson ??

The thing about the WInston is the unpredicatility of the event. No one knows who the winner will be until the checkered flag falls on the first place car. "But if" the cars keep wrecking the way they did last night, will the teams still want to be a part of the race?? Is it really worth the risk involved to a team who knows they haven't got a snowballs chance of winning to take the risk of tearing up equipment ??

All in all, many people saw exactly what they wanted to last night, wrecks. Some saw thier favorite drivers get taken out as well as teams they dislike. "But if" there were no wrecks, would the Winston be anywhere near as popular as it is ???
Will the popularity remain if the event is re-located to different tracks each year?? It was tried once, without much success and the sport has grown substantially in recent years so anything is possible, "but if" it doesn't work, then what ???
Ah yes, so many questions and so few answers. Anybody got any thoughts?? :salute:

I liked it quite a bit. The only problem I had in watching it was the breaks between segments that seemed to last forever. Every time I flipped back to watch it, they were on commercial or doing some meaningless stalling between various segments of actual racing. I was watching game 7 of the Mavericks-Kings series and the Indians-A's game at the same time. I had planned to have a bunch of people over to watch The Winston and have a cook-out. It was going to show off my new remodel, but my remodel isn't quite ready to be viewed yet. But back to the subject. I enjoyed the racing a lot when thet were actually racing. The wrecking was just a part of the excitement that is The Winston. I do think it would be cool to see it moved around to various tracks from year to year. Can you imagine it being ran at Bristol, Martinsville or Richmond? It would change the dynamic of the whole event.

I just hope it isn't called "The McRace" next year :bleh:

Jeff Gordon is my 3rd favorite, and that sucked when he spun out Ward! He may be moving down the list...

I think this 'all-star' race is a sham,joke and ridiculous excuse for a real race.Ban it,get rid of it.It pays to wreck,crash and take out your fellow competitors.Just a bad idea and one that has outlived it's time.It needs to go.

Originally posted by 97forever@May 18 2003, 10:32 AM
I think this 'all-star' race is a sham,joke and ridiculous excuse for a real race.Ban it,get rid of it.It pays to wreck,crash and take out your fellow competitors.Just a bad idea and one that has outlived it's time.It needs to go.
Not even to mention drivers getting hurt, jeperdizing(sp?) points race

I got a new format.

The driver who gets the most boos during driver introductions wins $100K.

Every driver that wrecks another driver has to forfit his winnings to the driver he wrecked.

The first wrecked car that can't be fixed gets 1/4 million.

The winner of the million is determined by a FAN vote just like the inverted field vote. Fans get to pick a number from 1 to 14 up to the start of the race.

:p

Originally posted by Bucky Badger+May 18 2003, 12:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bucky Badger @ May 18 2003, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@May 18 2003, 10:32 AM
Not even to mention drivers getting hurt, jeperdizing(sp?) points race [/b][/quote]
I totally agree. Stewart was quoted in the paper as saying he probably won't run The Winston next year beacuse it is too much of a risk, a wreckfest, I think he called it.

Stewart is a big sissy!

If he didn't have his head up his A$$, He would have been out front when the wreck happened. Oh wait a min. Didn't he CAUSE the wreck?

There I said it.

:D

Not sure I agree with the whole Stewart is a Sissy comment...

Sleeper,

Re: Your remark about TS being a big sissy.

Tony is the only driver who has won the championships in all three of USAC's divisions in the same year; Tony has won the IRL championship and is the current NASCAR champion.
I don't believe that very many "sissy's" have won too many races in midgets, sprint cars, or the Silver Crown cars over the years.

I think the message that you and a lot of other fans missed from Tony's comments was that one of the few racers left in NASCAR is telling the world that what you watched last Saturday evening was nothing more than a show for all of those fans who believe all the hype and can't pull out their wallets and give their money to O.B. Smith & Co. fast enough.
That type of show is an open invitation to disaster, injuries and worse.

I guess that you must have a better resume than Tony if you feel you're qualified to be calling him a sissy?

I guess you also missed the interviews with Tony and Terry after the wreck? They both felt it was just one of those racing mishaps; neither driver blaming the other.

Originally posted by boB@May 20 2003, 09:03 AM
Sleeper,

Re: Your remark about TS being a big sissy.

Tony is the only driver who has won the championships in all three of USAC's divisions in the same year; Tony has won the IRL championship and is the current NASCAR champion.
I don't believe that very many "sissy's" have won too many races in midgets, sprint cars, or the Silver Crown cars over the years.

I think the message that you and a lot of other fans missed from Tony's comments was that one of the few racers left in NASCAR is telling the world that what you watched last Saturday evening was nothing more than a show for all of those fans who believe all the hype and can't pull out their wallets and give their money to O.B. Smith & Co. fast enough.
That type of show is an open invitation to disaster, injuries and worse.

I guess that you must have a better resume than Tony if you feel you're qualified to be calling him a sissy?

I guess you also missed the interviews with Tony and Terry after the wreck? They both felt it was just one of those racing mishaps; neither driver blaming the other.
Very well said boB!

As far as I'm concerned Terry Labonte is one of the classiest men in Nascar. He had every right to be mad as he!!, but as always a perfect gentleman. Tony basically said that he started to make it three wide and thought better of it. So to me he basically admitted fault even though it was just one of those racing deals.

TWO RACE CARS CANNOT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY.

Originally posted by bowtie@May 20 2003, 07:56 AM
As far as I'm concerned Terry Labonte is one of the classiest men in Nascar. He had every right to be mad as he!!, but as always a perfect gentleman. Tony basically said that he started to make it three wide and thought better of it. So to me he basically admitted fault even though it was just one of those racing deals.

TWO RACE CARS CANNOT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY.
As his interview tailed off, he did say it was his fault. It was close to a racin deal. Both drivers guess what the other would do based on there spotter's info. and unfortunately for Terry, stewart backed off and got into Terry. Too bad, Stewart had a good car and I would have rather seen him win than Jimmy.

Back
Top Bottom