Welcome back, Ray

T

The_Mad_Hatter

Evernham says he'll build a Chevy, compare notes
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

HAMPTON, Ga. - Winston Cup car owner Ray Evernham plans to build a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo in an effort to help his Dodge operation become more competitive.

"I feel like we have good equipment, but we're getting ready to build a Chevy so we can see what the difference is," Evernham said Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Through three races, Evernham's drivers, Jeremy Mayfield and Bill Elliott, are 24th and 31st in points, respectively. Mayfield has the only top-10 finish between them, an eighth at Daytona.

"What you can do by looking at someone else's car is better know and understand what they have and then find out where your car is better or worse," Evernham said.

"If you feel their nose is a little better, you work on front downforce. Everyone says, 'I'm maxed out.' But it seems you can find a little bit more if you work hard enough."

Evernham said his organization built a General Motors engine to use as comparison before Dodge debuted in 2001 and hopes to find similar benefits in building the Chevrolet.

Kirby and Evernham? hearing that Stuart Kirby [has run in ARCA, Busch and Cup] will test for Evernham Motorsports next week and could run a few races with the team this year and may run an A-B-C schedule [like Ryan Newman did with Penske in 2001]. A=ARCA, B=Busch and C=Cup.(3-7-2003)

Good idea on Ray's part to build the car, other owners have done this in the past.

Doubt the two stories, Kirby and the Chevy, are related. It would very much surprise me if Dodge let Ray actually run a Chevy in any series.

I was just posting that here instead of posting a new thread!

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Mar 7 2003, 11:27 AM
Good idea on Ray's part to build the car, other owners have done this in the past.

Doubt the two stories, Kirby and the Chevy, are related. It would very much surprise me if Dodge let Ray actually run a Chevy in any series.
Alright then, you had me confused. I was thinking Kirby was going to drive a chevy sponsored by Dodge. How weird?

Back
Top Bottom