Western Cutlery Knives

@Johali
Just received my Old Hickory knives. I’m pretty happy with them. These will work well for what I need them to do.
The middle one that you pointed out is what I bought, 6 of them.
:)

@Johali
Just received my Old Hickory knives. I’m pretty happy with them. These will work well for what I need them to do.
The middle one that you pointed out is what I bought, 6 of them.
:)
6 should last you a few years. Damn good knives for just about anything.

Took some time to sharpen my Benchmade knives tonight. It’s incredible how sharp you can get these things. I use DMT stones, usually just the green one unless I want to shape.
Scary sharp.

My Mini Crooked River had an uneven grind from the factory. I took the time last night to correct the edge. I’ve been sharpening now for two days. It’s pretty close.

My Mini Crooked River had an uneven grind from the factory. I took the time last night to correct the edge. I’ve been sharpening now for two days. It’s pretty close.
I've bought a couple of knives like that and you're right, It's a helluva job to straighten out but worth it.

I really still don’t have it right but the edge is more even.
One side is still sharper than the other but it’s closer.

Spent two hours on the phone with my sharpening coach. I’m not sure if I’m any farther ahead. My 980 Turret is wicked but still so far off.

Pictures please :)
It is a ‘53-‘55 Model 12-11 Smithsonian Bowie
0F0BA79A-459B-4C0A-B6D7-0AF026AAA97D.jpeg

I wound up throwing the Old Hickory knives in the trash can this morning.
They discolor at the the sight of water, too hard to sharpen and don’t hold an edge.
CCBE7F33-0A78-49D5-9DD3-CCAA0DAD2E8F.jpeg

I’m going to buy some stainless non-serrated knives from maybe Wusthof or Henckels for the purpose of table steak knives. A lot more expensive but I think I’ll like them.

My sharpening coach died. I’m not sure I’ve taken the time to process the loss or even accepted it yet.
I think about it every time I reach for any of my knives.

Back
Top Bottom