what an exciting night....NOT

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Here is tonight in a nutshell.

First car to leave the starting line- gets 60 feet and axles locks up. Takes 15 minutes to get car on dolleys and pulled off track

Second car to leave the starting line- I forget what happened, but he broke too, took another 15 minutes to get him towed off.

5 minutes later- another car spews the bad smoke. We're down for another 15 minutes

We go up to staging lanes

Somebody else breaks

We make our pass- 5.68 @ 118.

Get back to pit- undo the changes we made, put the fast tuneup back in

Oh, look, somebody broke- Melissa is on the PA asking for a fuel pump (she broke a lifter last week)

Go back to lanes- make pass- 5.619 @ 120.

get back to pit- play with the injector nozzles to balance EGT's, and take some ignition timing out

Go back up for 3rd time trial

Computer system gets a kink in it. We sit for a good 15 minutes.

Make pass. 5.614 @ 120

play with injector nozzles some more

Had a threat of rain, it dodged us, but water grains went sky high

First round super pro- dad pulls a .102 reaction time, other guy red-lights. We go 61 on a 60 dial (randomly guessing)

get back- downtrack was sketchy loose, but no changes

First round quick door- only 15 cars make the field. They pull our card, we go up, but they stop us after the burnouts- the guy they pulled with us was the pole sitter, and should have gotten the bye. So they push him off, and try to figure out who to send up next to us. Up comes Melissa- in daddy's car. Get dial-ins oriented, dad does a second burnout. I measure the tire temp, knowing he over-drove the second burnout. 147 degrees on the tread. I already know it's a dead pass.

Melissa tree's dad with a .009, she's dead-4 we're dead-8.

Go back to pit, play with data.

About 5 minutes before we're set to get called to the lanes for super pro round 2, we discover the dial-in board is MIA. So I haul azz on the bike looking up and down the return road for the board, can't find it. @ minutes to the call. I haul more azz up to the tower- I'm in 3rd and 7th gears (21st- the highest) and go to stop....right as the ground goes from concrete to dirt. Front wheel digs in, and I'm airborne over the bars. (I had noticed the rear bakes weren't doing much earlier in the day) :owquitit:

So I fly over the bars, people from the lanes are looking at me like "WTF just happened", I say I'm alright, but lay there for a good 15 seconds. Dust it off, get up, go to the nearest track worker, have him call up to the tower to have them PA for our dial-board.

Get back to bike, pick it up and get on- it hurts to hold the left handlebar. I look at hand, and it's COVERED in blood. Ignore it, ride back to pit one handed, not the first time (Carrying a 20 pound porta-pressor in one hand while controlling the bike with the other is definitely a helpful skill to know).

Get back to pit, hit the tires with air, back dad out of our stall, grab a shop towl and wrap it around my hand, have friend 2 pits over wrap it in duct tape, get back on bike. Realize rear brake lever is broken (not like it was doing much....), go up to staging lanes, dragging feet Flintstone-style to stop.

Run to the car, our card is already drawn, but thankfully the other guy isn't suited, nor was dad. I set the tire pressure while dad suits up, ignorant of my left hand still bleeding.

Make the run, dad goes .005 red on the tree.

Girl comes up and says where our dial board is. I ride back to pit. start data processing, while dad takes the bike (slightly miffed that the WRONG brakes work and the right ones don't now) and gets the board.

Load everything up (still ignorant of my bleeding hand), get home, unload essentials, and start the cleaning process for my hand.

So I'm temporarily typing with only the index finger on my left hand....

Left palm is just now starting to hurt
Left wrist hurts
Right wrist hurts
left hip hurts
left heel hurts

I landed on my left side, obviously....

[youtube]forOA-uTD3Y[/youtube]

[youtube]h-gsAx3FSq8[/youtube]

That doesn't sound like a good time to be a first time visitor to the track either :(

But hey, some days just be like that. Those day make you appreciate the good days a whole lot more.

That doesn't sound like a good time to be a first time visitor to the track either :(

But hey, some days just be like that. Those day make you appreciate the good days a whole lot more.
It's our home track, but there were some new people there- it was the last race of the season. All the regulars were breaking (their cars are worn out...) but those of us that were taking weekends off in the summer, we had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom