What constitutes a "good race" in your eyes?

I'd like to see a full length race without pitting under a yellow flag. Is that asking too much?

And I'd like to see a race with Motorcycles instead of stock cars, but I know better than to ask for fundamental changes to the rules of the racing going back 70 years.

Side by side racing, multi-groove tracks, a race where green flag pit stops and strategy comes into play. Maybe a little bit of trading paint among the drivers. A battle for the win towards the end of the race.

Anything before the Chase and race manipulation began. I didn’t care if the leader was 20 laps ahead, at least you knew it was real.
I love this post so much. Every race was a playoff race, every race was important. and no stages either, each race played out organically. But to answer the question I guess me not feeling like I could DVR the race and skipping through later like I do now, so I guess in a roundabout way to answer..... Youtube a race from Wilkesboro, Rockingham, Old Bristol or Daytona before the restrictor plates. Bad @ss racing there.

Last edited:
I love this post so much. Every race was a playoff race, every race was important. and no stages either, each race played out organically. But to answer the question I guess me not feeling like I could DVR the race and skipping through later like I do now.
Which races are unimportant now?

Pocono, Kansas spring race, New Hampshire... (Joking) Well I would venture to say IMO that theres more of an emphasis placed on the last 10 races obviously because of the playoffs than the first 26 win and your in. I felt like before every race determined the Championship and now its just condensed into a 9 race playoff 1 race winner take all. Just never made sense to me

Pocono, Kansas spring race, New Hampshire... (Joking) Well I would venture to say IMO that theres more of an emphasis placed on the last 10 races obviously because of the playoffs than the first 26 win and your in. I felt like before every race determined the Championship and now its just condensed into a 9 race playoff 1 race winner take all. Just never made sense to me
Perhaps the broadcasters overdo it ... I don't know.

In the past, some championships were concluded before the season ended. Would you say the remaining races were unimportant? I'd say ... only to the recently crowned champion. People race to win races ... be the best for a week. That's really all there is to it. It often seems to me that some fans might be looking for something that isn't there.

Perhaps the broadcasters overdo it ... I don't know. ...
Some folks have a hard time separating the race itself from the TV coverage. I understand that can be difficult when TV is the only option you have, esp. for those unfortunate enough to have never been to a live race at any level. But I've watched recordings of races I attended and sometimes wonder if they were two different events. What TV covered (and I'm talking about all networks) and what I thought was worth watching were often very different things.

Perhaps the broadcasters overdo it ... I don't know.

In the past, some championships were concluded before the season ended. Would you say the remaining races were unimportant? I'd say ... only to the recently crowned champion. People race to win races ... be the best for a week. That's really all there is to it. It often seems to me that some fans might be looking for something that isn't there.
ah I see your point of view and I never looked at it that way to be honest. For me even if the championship was locked up early there was always another points battle going on in terms of the final standings like "Oh well this driver is trying to finish in the top 3 and is only 75 points out" or this "this driver is trying to finish top 10 for first time in his career can he hang on?" those battles always kept my attention because I knew how much of a big deal it was to finish in the top 10 because the payout/money was publicized and a big deal back then. But I never thought of it in your way and I have to say I wouldnt be opposed to coming around on that type of thinking.

Some folks have a hard time separating the race itself from the TV coverage. I understand that can be difficult when TV is the only option you have, esp. for those unfortunate enough to have never been to a live race at any level. But I've watched recordings of races I attended and sometimes wonder if they were two different events. What TV covered (and I'm talking about all networks) and what I thought was worth watching were often very different things.
I myself love the MRN radio APP

ah I see your point of view and I never looked at it that way to be honest. For me even if the championship was locked up early there was always another points battle going on in terms of the final standings like "Oh well this driver is trying to finish in the top 3 and is only 75 points out" or this "this driver is trying to finish top 10 for first time in his career can he hang on?" those battles always kept my attention because I knew how much of a big deal it was to finish in the top 10 because the payout/money was publicized and a big deal back then. But I never thought of it in your way and I have to say I wouldnt be opposed to coming around on that type of thinking.
5th is better than 6th race by race and at season's end ... on the resume and at the bank.

Pocono, Kansas spring race, New Hampshire...
Snappy, perhaps you should ask Kansas winner Truex and Pocono winner KyBusch whether those races are unimportant. I think they would tell you emphatically that those wins are part of the reason they stand at the top of the field despite the points reset last Sunday.

That's not a problem with the race, that's a problem with the TV coverage.

And that's not what make a good race, it's what doesn't make a bad one.
Charlie, what makes a good race is my viewing pleasure. If the TV coverage is bad it isn't going to be a good race to me. I'm tired of the directors using all 90 different cameras at the track in 2 laps. It makes it difficult to discern who is winning, and what the heck is going on. Hope that helps you better understand my point of view.

Charlie, what makes a good race is my viewing pleasure. If the TV coverage is bad it isn't going to be a good race to me. I'm tired of the directors using all 90 different cameras at the track in 2 laps. It makes it difficult to discern who is winning, and what the heck is going on. Hope that helps you better understand my point of view.
Okay, now I know your criteria. Thanks. I think most coverage could be much better. The director needs to get out of the truck, sit in the stands, watch the PEOPLE and see what THEY'RE watching. It's rarely the top 5 all the time. :rolleyes:

No fake manufactured drama. Just drivers racing side by side, rubbing fenders, beating and banging and going all out to beat their competitors. I'm not opposed to seeing a dominant car and team stink up the show if it means an organic result.

That said, one or two cars being so much better than the rest of the field, every single week, that the only way to "shake it up" is throwing a caution with 5 to go for a puff of smoke, is getting old. The current product has gotten stale. The media over-sensationalizing the ridiculous "playoff" lottery doesn't help matters.

Well said.

Today when I was visiting one of my customers, I noticed he had a Dale Jr. #8 coffee mug on his desk. I asked if he was a NASCAR fan....he says he "used to be." Says back in the 90's he would turn down double time ($$$) to stay at home on Sundays so he could watch NASCAR. That's how much he loved it. What changed? "Cant stand the TV broadcasts anymore, they are all annoying and they never shut the hell up. That's the main reason." Said he stopped watching regularly in 2004 when the Chase was introduced. Stopped going to Bristol every year. He says he still tries to watch a race or two every year just for the hell of it, but usually gives up after 5-10 minutes because he finds the broadcasters so annoying. He doesn't even feel like going to Bristol anymore because he hates all the added gimmicks and hates that there are "only three dominant teams" now, but that's another story.

My point is that the TV broadcast has a huge effect, and is often overlooked when we talk about "where have all the fans gone"

Snappy, perhaps you should ask Kansas winner Truex and Pocono winner KyBusch whether those races are unimportant. I think they would tell you emphatically that those wins are part of the reason they stand at the top of the field despite the points reset last Sunday.
Oh I was joking, about those races they were just the first 3 tracks that came to my mind, sorry if I offended. With this format of win and get in the races are way more important especially with the Stage points. But sorry the one race winner take all I’ll never get behind which in a way negates the importance of each individual race.

Back
Top Bottom