What race are you most looking forward to

One can only hope they draw some new younger fans, but time will tell. There are enough young people around here that you would think they will if they play their cards right.
I haven't seen any fan demographical data in 10 years about how old or young the fan base is. Of course the TV data is going to show an older bunch that doesn't want to or can't go to the races. I don't hear Nascar complaining or Speedway either. They keep buying tracks and redoing others. That's more of a tell than anything IMO.

I haven't seen any fan demographical data in 10 years about how old or young the fan base is. Of course the TV data is going to show an older bunch that doesn't want to or can't go to the races. I don't hear Nascar complaining or Speedway either. They keep buying tracks and redoing others. That's more of a tell than anything IMO.
This article is from 2017 but they've been fighting a rapidly rising age demographic for a handful of years now. Their buying of tracks and such is a strategy of trying to give the sport a shot in the arm and bring people back, not because things are super peachy at the moment. They're basically in a rebuild phase right now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...unger-as-in-drivers-but-older-as-in-fans/amp/

Los Angeles, Daytona, Fontana, Las Vegas, COTA, Martinsville, Bristol Dirt, Talladega, Charlotte, Sonoma, Gateway, Nashville, Pocono, Michigan, Homestead-Miami.

Portland, COTA for Xfinity.

IRP, Knoxville, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma for Trucks.

NASCAR needs to bring back Iowa Speedway for Xfinity & Trucks and go to Williams Grove instead of Knoxville though.

Should never race Knoxville again. That was a farce

Reactions: sdj
No.

Just my opinion, and I like Ice Cube, but I think it's more of a "ties to LA" draw than a "younger audience" draw.
True, so many younger rappers his height was 30 years ago

Plus, Pitbull will be performing pre-race. He will bring some energy to the Coliseum. The NASCAR drivers better bring their A-game because Pitbull and his Pitbull dancers will be a tough act to follow. :D
Pitbull - Get Ready ft. Blake Shelton - YouTube

If you want a PA dirt track for trucks I think Port Royal is the better option

Port Royal is nice, but Williams Grove is like the 3rd biggest/most prestigious dirt race on the WoO schedule and in dirt in general
I'll side with KKFAN91 on this one. I would take the Port over the Grove any day. Yes, the Grove has such a great history, but the Port has established itself as one of the best dirt tracks in the country, IMO.

Plus, Pitbull will be performing pre-race. He will bring some energy to the Coliseum. The NASCAR drivers better bring their A-game because Pitbull and his Pitbull dancers will be a tough act to follow. :D
Okay, if I've never heard anything by Pitbull, what's the Google result I should listen to first? What cut is likely to appeal to my Jimmy Buffett / Meat Loaf / Billy Joel / Weird Al tastes?

Okay, if I've never heard anything by Pitbull, what's the Google result I should listen to first? What cut is likely to appeal to my Jimmy Buffett / Meat Loaf / Billy Joel / Weird Al tastes?
I freaking love all of this. Great job by NASCAR. Somebody asked about ticket sales....I checked the website, and it appears (I am no expert) sales a pretty good. Love this event, and they haven't even fired the engines.

I don't mean for this to be sarcastic in anyway, but I don't think any of them will appeal to you because you have already made it clear in the past that you don't care for the extra activities at a racetrack. If I remember right, you said you want to get to the track and go straight to your seat and watch the race and that if you wanted to see a concert you would go to a concert. And there is nothing wrong with that, but a lot of people do enjoy the extra bang for their buck. This is a special event that NASCAR is investing a lot of money in, but to be truthful I don't think their main target is long time fans like you and me anyway. I also don't think they are targeting teenagers either. They are having this race at a USC college campus stadium in Los Angeles California so who knows maybe they are going for the 20 to 25 age group, or maybe they are trying to enlarge their Hispanic fanbase. As far as why they chose Pitbull that could be for reasons other than trying to attract a certain age group. It could be because he has invested a lot of money in NASCAR. To me it doesn't really matter what their reasoning is or who they are trying to attract... I'm already a longtime fan of NASCAR racing...and I'm a fan of about any kind of music... so I'm going to enjoy the extra entertainment they are going to provide no matter who it is actually intended for. Now I have to figure out where the puppy bowl is going to be at because I don't want to miss that one either. :)

Last edited:
I don't think any of them will appeal to you because you have already made it clear in the past that you don't care for the extra activities at a racetrack.
Okay, you lost me. I'm asking this completely independent of what happens at the track. As you noted, he's already involved in NASCAR. I'm just looking for an introduction to his primary job, something to play that will give me a notion of whether I'd like his stuff. I might ask which of Childress' wines are worth trying, or which of Hendrick's dealerships will screw me over the least.

Puppy Bowl is on Discovery

And the web site says there will indeed be kittens at half time. No mention of Pitbull, although Snoop Dogg and his French Bulldogs will be hosting. @*WEAVER* comment may have been in jest.

Okay, you lost me. I'm asking this completely independent of what happens at the track. As you noted, he's already involved in NASCAR. I'm just looking for an introduction to his primary job, something to play that will give me a notion of whether I'd like his stuff. I might ask which of Childress' wines are worth trying, or which of Hendrick's dealerships will screw me over the least.

Puppy Bowl is on Discovery

And the web site says there will indeed be kittens at half time. No mention of Pitbull, although Snoop Dogg and his French Bulldogs will be hosting. @*WEAVER* comment may have been in jest.
Thanks for that info I thought he was making the puppy bowl up. That is pretty awesome what they are doing for animal adoption shelters.

The next one. But not crazy about some halftime BS. Regardless of who is the entertainment. I tune in for a race. Oh well. I'll have it recorded and blast through that BS to the second section like I normally do to get by commercials.

The next one. But not crazy about some halftime BS. Regardless of who is the entertainment. I tune in for a race. Oh well. I'll have it recorded and blast through that BS to the second section like I normally do to get by commercials.

Yeah, I really don't think anyone cares about the "entertainment" aspect. Anyone going to the race is going for, you know, the RACE, not to see some halfassed concert. And the entertainment isn't attracting non-racing fans to show up or tune in no matter who it is. It's just a little "bonus" experience for those in attendance who would have been going to the race anyway.

It's just a little "bonus" experience for those in attendance who would have been going to the race anyway.
At least, for those that like whoever's being trotted out. There's no surer bet than the national anthem will suck when sung by a 'national recording artist' just there to shill the latest album.

Reactions: sdj
I must have been in a cave, I just saw that they are gonna have heats for the Clash. If they didnt have it already they now have my complete attention. Also with 36 entries I'm assuming this isnt just for pole winners etc... and thats alright by me.

Yeah, I think they are whittling the field down to 20, that should be enough I would think. Lapping backmarkers should be interesting. Body test coming right up.

Yeah, I think they are whittling the field down to 20, that should be enough I would think. Lapping backmarkers should be interesting. Body test coming right up.
I think its 22 with a Provisional for 23rd. The print on the Jayski site is so small its impossible to read who would get that

Looks like the ticket sales are going well for the clash. Most of the lower bowl and second level look almost sold out. Upper Section still has a good bit open. I'm guessing maybe 50,000 will attend. A sellout would be incredible

Looks like the ticket sales are going well for the clash. Most of the lower bowl and second level look almost sold out. Upper Section still has a good bit open. I'm guessing maybe 50,000 will attend. A sellout would be incredible
Interesting. Race fans usually buy the highest tickets first and leave the bottom for last. Maybe this really is reaching some new people who are selecting their seats based on their experiences with other events?

I haven't checked the prices; are the higher seats more expensive, as is typical? If so, maybe non-race fans are buying based on ticket prices alone, and don't get why the lower seats are cheaper; or maybe don't want to overspend on something they're unfamiliar with.

Or maybe they just want a better view of the musical acts ...

Interesting. Race fans usually buy the highest tickets first and leave the bottom for last. Maybe this really is reaching some new people who are selecting their seats based on their experiences with other events?

I haven't checked the prices; are the higher seats more expensive, as is typical? If so, maybe non-race fans are buying based on ticket prices alone, and don't get why the lower seats are cheaper; or maybe don't want to overspend on something they're unfamiliar with.

The lower seats are better purely because its a such a small track with no obstructions in the infield and the prices are higher the lower you go. If you've seen Bowman Gray that will give you a good indicator.

I agree with you here with one weird exception I experienced. A number of years back Darlington prices were pretty high. I remember trying to get a "cheap" ticket down low just to get my butt in the gate. They were all sold out. But there were plenty of $100+ tickets available up high.

I agree with you here with one weird exception I experienced. A number of years back Darlington prices were pretty high. I remember trying to get a "cheap" ticket down low just to get my butt in the gate. They were all sold out. But there were plenty of $100+ tickets available up high.
During the Recession, maybe? Or maybe we're just weird in the Palmetto State ...

Track wasn't the problem. Prep could've been better but every truck race I watched was a wreckfest. The money-to-talent ratio in that series is tilted almost entirely to the money side it seems.
100% disagree. That track had only one lane and passing was nearly impossible with such low speeds. So they just ran right over each other

100% disagree. That track had only one lane and passing was nearly impossible with such low speeds. So they just ran right over each other
It's both imo. The track sucks, the depth of talent in the truck series sucks, it just all made for a disaster.

Trucks used to be the best series in years past and now it's turned into literally watching a bad iRacing lobby.

Trucks is still decent, Crafton, Rhodes, JHN, Zane Smith, Enfinger, Friesen, Moffitt with some other potential are pretty talented, but to be honest it has a little bit of ARCA bled into it.

I’d like to see a few more Truck Series veterans and a few more young early 20 year olds stick around in ARCA instead of jumping to Xfinity or Trucks.

I think NASCAR in general embraced the “youth movement” way too much.

Last edited:
back in the day I would buy the $30 concrete seats on the back stretch at Martinsville
they were sold on race day

first time I did this the race was rained out, on Monday I had my pick of any seat, sat in turn three 3/4 up the grand stands

Where/how will they pit for a flat tire or fix damage?
Well it's a stadium, maybe in the locker room. :whoopee::booya::XXROFL::sarcasm:

Also as far as the topic, mostly looking forward to the Clash, just because it is the first chance to see them in the new cars and because it means racing season is back!

Otherwise I am really curious and looking forward to seeing how Atlanta turns out, be it good or bad. It seems unknown. How much will cars spread out on a long run etc? It could be really good, or it could be really boring. Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom