What short track should be added to schedule in 2021 to hide empty seats?

4tires17gals

Team Owner
I vote for Louisville. That was a great triangle with many challenges corners.

Tracks just need to find that "happy medium" when it come to seating capacity. Watching numerous Youtube races during real rise of the sport, late 80's/early 90's, there were empty seats at various tracks. So it's not like having unsold seats is a sign of struggle. Michigan, Bristol, Pocono, Dover, Richmond and Charlotte seemed like the places that were always packed back then. Pocono and Michigan did not have a lot of seats back then despite their size.

Michigan is the track which should draw better imo. I absolutely loved my trips there in 2003 and 2004. It's such a cool track/location and has a ton of history relative to American Motorsports. The sight lines are excellent and ticket prices have always been reasonable imo. I know the Michigan economy has taken a large hit but Brooklyn is accessible to a large swath of people outside of the state.

NASCAR is still a really great event to attend. I'll get to at least 3 races this year for less than $200 in ticket costs. That's a great value imo. The overall experience at the track is what keeps me very much interested in the sport. Watching a race on tv is, was and always will be hit or miss. Attending a race live is almost always great. I've been to a few clunkers/Monday race rainouts but the bad is easily outweighed by the good.

I vote for a short track or road course in the Denver area. That market has shown great support to the 78 and it would be a great way to grow the sport.

I think a short track would work in the Seattle area too. If rain becomes an issue, a short track is easier to dry!

Bascially, any new tracks added to the schedule need to be short tracks or road courses. The 1.5 mile cookie cutter is dead and technology is over running (has already over run?) the superspeedway.

I 2nd Eldora. That would be awesome. VIR isn't far from me. I'd like to see them run that road course.

For purely selfish reasons (I live less than 25 min away,) I would've loved to attend races at the proposed short track in Staten Island. I think that would've worked had NASCAR gone through with it.

Adding a short track to hide empty seats at other race tracks.................................:eek:.........................

I think removing seating sections is what is commonly done to hide empty seats, not adding a different race track to the schedule .

I am not sure how adding a short track is going to solve the empty seats at the other tracks, unless I am missing something.

I suppose North Wilkesboro would be like them admitting how wrong they have been

I vote for a short track or road course in the Denver area. That market has shown great support to the 78 and it would be a great way to grow the sport.

Pikes peak is so run down. They would need to sink a fortune into it to get that place in order. I'm not aware of any other existing tracks within a few hours drive of Denver that could make it work. Building new would be awesome tho.

Tracks just need to find that "happy medium" when it come to seating capacity. Watching numerous Youtube races during real rise of the sport, late 80's/early 90's, there were empty seats at various tracks. So it's not like having unsold seats is a sign of struggle. Michigan, Bristol, Pocono, Dover, Richmond and Charlotte seemed like the places that were always packed back then. Pocono and Michigan did not have a lot of seats back then despite their size.

Michigan is the track which should draw better imo. I absolutely loved my trips there in 2003 and 2004. It's such a cool track/location and has a ton of history relative to American Motorsports. The sight lines are excellent and ticket prices have always been reasonable imo. I know the Michigan economy has taken a large hit but Brooklyn is accessible to a large swath of people outside of the state.

NASCAR is still a really great event to attend. I'll get to at least 3 races this year for less than $200 in ticket costs. That's a great value imo. The overall experience at the track is what keeps me very much interested in the sport. Watching a race on tv is, was and always will be hit or miss. Attending a race live is almost always great. I've been to a few clunkers/Monday race rainouts but the bad is easily outweighed by the good.

Surprisingly, the race at June race this year was PACKED, even though last year was the worst year ever going to the track in the 10 years I've gone to races (the terrible rain delays in June and the high-downforce package in August). I just hope the August race sells out.

Surprisingly, the race at June race this year was PACKED, even though last year was the worst year ever going to the track in the 10 years I've gone to races (the terrible rain delays in June and the high-downforce package in August). I just hope the August race sells out.

I was still disappointed with the crowd in June. I rechecked some highlights on Youtube and there were a lot of empty seats. I'd like to think the August race will be a little better attended. It is a week later than usual this year. Hopefully everyone's attention hasn't switched over to football. I went to the August race in 2003 and 2004 and absolutely loved it despite the brutal heat both years. I'm going to toss around going out until after the Pocono race. If I feel compelled to go to another race Michigan is high on my list.

I've also though about NHIS and Dover. I haven't been to Dover since 2010 . That ended a run of attending every race there from September 1990 until 2010. My issue with Dover is the so-so racing . I've seen some real clunkers downs there. I love New England so NHIS is intriguing. Plus, late September is a great time of year to play golf up there.

Darlington would be super cool but getting off work Labor Day weekend in the golf industry is not easy.

Pikes peak is so run down. They would need to sink a fortune into it to get that place in order. I'm not aware of any other existing tracks within a few hours drive of Denver that could make it work. Building new would be awesome tho.

Likewise with Nazareth Speedway. I can't believe what ISC allowed to happen to that track. It was such a fun, unique place.

I really wish Penske kept his interests in tracks. He was smart by getting out when he did but having another prominent owner with his smarts wouldn't hurt....

Berlin raceway in Marne Michigan. Rockingham, Hickory, and North Wilksboro. Dump most of the 1.5 milers. Add another road course, a different one.like MID-OHIO SPORTS CAR COURSE
And one figure "8" track.

1/2 the race counter clockwise and 1/2 the race clockwise or a dog leg race track 5 lefts and one right turn Ha

Thread is deteriorating nicely.

And it's well-deserved.

Has any of the powers that be ever squashed the idea of cup cars running at Eldora? Or even the Busch series? (Ik its xfinity but Busch series sounds better)

Has any of the powers that be ever squashed the idea of cup cars running at Eldora? Or even the Busch series? (Ik its xfinity but Busch series sounds better)
Now two years old, this was said about the possibility.....

NASCAR Executive Vice President Steve O'Donnell said there have been no discussions about adding another major NASCAR race at Eldora. "We haven't had any discussions with Tony beyond that (truck race)," O'Donnell said. "I wouldn't rule out looking at potential other venues for trucks, but I think for the most part, we want to keep the uniqueness of that event. It has been really successful. They have done a great job for us. They set the bar very high. But we like where we're at right now with it." The Eldora event is a successful weeknight event. Whether that success could translate to a Cup race on a weeknight remains to be seen. Both the track and television partner would have to be prepared for it, and so far NASCAR has not had a track want a weeknight prime-time event that it could then pitch to the networks. The truck race at Eldora was the biggest sports cable event of Wednesday night, giving Fox Sports 1 a rare evening win over ESPN. "One of the challenges with most of the venues, especially on the Cup side, is big camping unlike other sports, so that presents a challenge," O'Donnell said. "It is something we have discussed with promoters. But we just aren't there from a logistics standpoint to be able to pull it off. But it has worked for the trucks. That is something going forward you could see us take a bigger look at with some other venues that have interest."

Now two years old, this was said about the possibility.....

NASCAR Executive Vice President Steve O'Donnell said there have been no discussions about adding another major NASCAR race at Eldora. "We haven't had any discussions with Tony beyond that (truck race)," O'Donnell said. "I wouldn't rule out looking at potential other venues for trucks, but I think for the most part, we want to keep the uniqueness of that event. It has been really successful. They have done a great job for us. They set the bar very high. But we like where we're at right now with it." The Eldora event is a successful weeknight event. Whether that success could translate to a Cup race on a weeknight remains to be seen. Both the track and television partner would have to be prepared for it, and so far NASCAR has not had a track want a weeknight prime-time event that it could then pitch to the networks. The truck race at Eldora was the biggest sports cable event of Wednesday night, giving Fox Sports 1 a rare evening win over ESPN. "One of the challenges with most of the venues, especially on the Cup side, is big camping unlike other sports, so that presents a challenge," O'Donnell said. "It is something we have discussed with promoters. But we just aren't there from a logistics standpoint to be able to pull it off. But it has worked for the trucks. That is something going forward you could see us take a bigger look at with some other venues that have interest."
Thanks dpk

The one nearest my home. Naturaly

What short track should be added to schedule in 2021 to hide empty seats?

MY KIND OF THREAD!!!!!! :bounce:

Let's start off with Winchester Speedway. Then, add in Evergreen Speedway for the Pacific Northwest fans. From there, we can bring in Five Flags, South Boston, Stafford, Slinger, Greenville-Pickens, Motor Mile, Kern County Raceway Park, Nashville Fairgrounds, Tucson and Colorado National. :)

MY KIND OF THREAD!!!!!! :bounce:

Let's start off with Winchester Speedway. Then, add in Evergreen Speedway for the Pacific Northwest fans. From there, we can bring in Five Flags, South Boston, Stafford, Slinger, Greenville-Pickens, Motor Mile, Kern County Raceway Park, Nashville Fairgrounds, Tucson and Colorado National. :)
My understanding ( and I would love more info) is that there is a substantial franchise fee that comes with hosting one of these events. This fee alone would be more than any of these tracks could afford ( without attracting a major corporate sponsor) . Add to that the track improvements that Nascar mandate ( soft walls for one) , more seating and parking , ingress and egress ,media facilities , etc., etc. I highly doubt any of the tracks would be interested. What do you think ? Is there anything in it for the tracks?

My understanding ( and I would love more info) is that there is a substantial franchise fee that comes with hosting one of these events. This fee alone would be more than any of these tracks could afford ( without attracting a major corporate sponsor) . Add to that the track improvements that Nascar mandate ( soft walls for one) , more seating and parking , ingress and egress ,media facilities , etc., etc. I highly doubt any of the tracks would be interested. What do you think ? Is there anything in it for the tracks?
Speedway Motorsports is a publicly traded company. Their financials are available online.

Last time I looked, sanctioning fees payable to NASCAR averaged around $1.2 million per event and tracks earned an average of $10 million from the TV deal for those same races. Add ticket, concession, suite rentals / catering, event and other track sponsorships, etc to that figure.

Here's some light reading ... the document is out of date but was the best I could find:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1017673/000119312509232799/dex101.htm

Send them to this side of the water for one race!
You'd need to send some big trailers and those funny commentators too
Also some of these funny American adverts that in watching right now!
Play the American national anthem just to see the crowds reaction too!

Back
Top Bottom