What Was Your First Computer?

C

cutiepie24

my first computer I got at a garage sale for 40 dollars, all it did was DOS...had spanish and religious software on it......something to play with..
my second computer got for 500 dollars at a computer store..had 3.1 (remember that)
then we went big time.........paid 3,000 (yes three thousand dollars) for a compaq presario at costco..piece of junk.......don't ask.....that was the computer I went online with...
then I got a HP.....for 800 dollars after the compaq went......
now I am on the best computer I have ever owned........it is home built and made by my honey DE........he is so smart.......so good at this........don't ask me what it has, ask him, but it has a lot.......
anyway thats it............but did see a clear case i liked at the computer show, but we are gonna wait till they come down in price...150 dollars for one.:(

Well, Im still on my first and original PC. Not bad for 2500 at Gateway Country in Erie PA. I also bought my first and original printer and scanner there, included in the 2500. Top of the line when I bought it, now I refer to it as a piece of junk.

Originally posted by cutiepie24
my first computer I got at a garage sale for 40 dollars, all it did was DOS...had spanish and religious software on it......something to play with..
my second computer got for 500 dollars at a computer store..had 3.1 (remember that)
then we went big time.........paid 3,000 (yes three thousand dollars) for a compaq presario at costco..piece of junk.......don't ask.....that was the computer I went online with...
then I got a HP.....for 800 dollars after the compaq went......
now I am on the best computer I have ever owned........it is home built and made by my honey DE........he is so smart.......so good at this........don't ask me what it has, ask him, but it has a lot.......
anyway thats it............but did see a clear case i liked at the computer show, but we are gonna wait till they come down in price...150 dollars for one.:(

AMD Athelon 1.2 gig, 256 megs SDRAM, nVidia Gforce2 video, Soundblaster 5.1, Dlink NIC, 4 USB ports, LG 10x4x32 CD-RW, her old HP 40x CD-ROM, Win ME and a bunch of software that I have no idea what all she has installed/uninstalled. A fancy blue and ivory mid-tower with 400 watt power supply, four cooling fans (she's got an AMD, you know:) ). Cheapy keyboard, wireless mouse, webcam, headphones,.......hummmmmm, I don't know what else.:D She's got a good rig.

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99a. The one you connected to your tv and had to program everything into it....using TI BASIC. You saved your stuff on audio cassette and had to load it each time you started.
Second was an Amstrad PC (European computer company) with the newest 8086 cpu......boy was it fast at 10 mhz!!
Third was a Packard Bell 80386. Super fast at 25 mhz. And I had so much ram I was beside myself........512 k!! I upgraded to 1 meg but the damned thing never worked the same after that!!:)
Fourth was one my daughter's boy friend built for me. Pentium mmx 200. I had 32 megs ram and a 33.6 k modem. I was you know what in tall cotton with that one!!
Fifth was one I built (I figured some snot nosed kid just out of high school could build one so could I:) ). 400 mhz Celeron with the best video out......Diamond Viper!!:D But, I ran out of expansion slots for toys.:(
Now to this one. Homebuilt P4 1.5 gig, 512 DDR ram, nVidia Gforce2 400mx, Soundblaster 5.1, Creative 10x4x32 CD-RW, some off brand DVD-ROM, Dlink NIC, and a bunch of stuff from old computer.
I got the itch..........so maybe soon I'll have the seventh to tell you about.:D

Actually, my first computer was a COMMADOR, one of those things you hooked up to your tv. Than I bought a computer from my school for $100.00 and berely ever used it. Than I just bought this one a year ago. I had my cousin build it for me for cheaper than what you can buy an HP for.

A Mac Model 01 with a 5meg external hard drive. The thing must be 15 years old by now and it still works just fine.

ahh for the joys of a 1200 baud modem:)

My first was a commodor 64. Got it when I was a kid, all it was good for was games.

My first was a dos only computer very rarely played on it. Went through a period where I never touch a computer unless at work. Then my daughter started bugging me and wanted one, bought her an emachines (ok computer it now is at TWF mom's house she uses it) Then we have this one a homebuilt one that has all the bells and whistles we need ( a friend and I built). I would like to build another one but buying a house and other things are more important right now.

First I owned was a CoCo from our friends at Radio Shack, then to a Mac SE, then to as LC and an LCII, which I still use for Quicken. Now got a fine iMac DV and it gets lots of use.

The first couple of computers were my owned by my folks -- an 8086 or 8088 that my mother's high school math teacher colleague built for us. Only ran DOS. I remember typing high school term papers in WordStar on it. Upgrading it to Windows 3.1 was a real thrill, at the time.

Eventually got a Gateway 486 with Windows 3.1, then 95. Had a dot matrix printer for the longest time that I couldn't convince them to heave out the window.

They eventually went on to another computer built by a nice, young Asian gentleman from the neighborhood. It's a PII that's been upgraded way too many times, it's about to explode. I'm trying to talk them into a new Dell.

My first, solely owned computer was a Dell Dimension T600r, with a PIII processor, 20 GB hard drive, 4x DVD-ROM, 56.6k modem, 8 MB ATI Rage Pro video card, a halfway decent Soundblaster card, and Harmon Kardon speakers with subwoofer. I thought it was the greatest computer for the longest time...

Until I built my own! Here are the specs:

Athlon XP 1800+ (not OC'd) processor
Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV, 60 GB hard drive
Plextor PlexWriter 40x24x10x IDE CD-RW
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB video card
Sound Blaster Audigy MP3+ sound card
Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers w/subwoofer
512MB Crucial DDR 2100
OCZ Titanium 1000 Aluminum Case w/ 400 watt power supply
OCZ Goliath w/ Delta 60x38mm CPU fan
Gateway EV700 17" (real crap) monitor

Just built this in February, but it's already considered ancient. Don't think I'll need a faster computer for a really long time, though. :)

Mine was a C64. Used to love writing programs with BASIC...

10 print "hello"
20 GOTO 10

Now I've got a p4 1.8 with 2 gigs of RAM.

I don't know if it was a computer,But it said Fisher Price on it,Ding!Ding!Whack!Whack!Pound!Pound!Kick!Throw!Wow I do that with my Dell,Good educational tool.:D

:D First computer was a Tandy. Bought at Radio Shack. Had Dos. A wooping 4 meg of ram. Ican't remember what else. Finely gave it away. Now Dude I have a Dell.:D :D

"Tiara"? Weren't you just "in love" with "Shannon"?

If I may be so bold, you wouldn't know what love was if it bit you on your left nut.

Originally posted by paul
"Tiara"?  Weren't you just "in love" with "Shannon"?

If I may be so bold, you wouldn't know what love was if it bit you on your left nut.
You gonna be allright Paul?:D

Originally posted by paul
"Tiara"?  Weren't you just "in love" with "Shannon"?

hahhahhaha :D thats the funniest thing I have heard all day........

now who is tiara? any relation to chiara on big brother 3?????????:) :(

My first was a good ol Apple IIc. It had no hard drive and everything ran straight off of the original floppy disks. You know, the ones that were actually floppy.:) It sucked but it served it's purpose back in the day. They make watches these days that would put that computer to shame.

i had two given to me one was a laptop from the 80's and another was just old dirt the one i have now is a hp pavilaion mx50 pretty good but its moody

long story but i will keep it simple..

she is my g/f that likes 2-3 hours from me. we something happand and we never talked for a long time and a few weeks ago she poped back up and asked if we was still going out and i was like yeah i guess so i am going back in my dark hole once again. but the name will be gone soon because it is not working out.

but i relly did and still do love shannon,

Lappy.........you sure throw that word around lightly. I think maybe you might substitute "ik" for "ov"......seems a little more accurate anyway. I really think it's hormones and something other than your brain doing your thinking.:)

C64 that my son gave me when he went away to college in '88. It died in 95 and I didn't get a "real" computer till 2000. It's a used '99 HP laptop and has no accesories. Fine for now.

Lap3, I have to agree with DE. You really have no idea at your age what LOVE is. Take the time to learn to like each other before you proclaim you're in love. Lust is not love. Paul is right too.

Back
Top Bottom