What would the old points system look like right now?

Truex should win the Cup this year under any format, he's been on the best team with the best car all year. It'd be a travesty if he got to into that Game 7 moment in Miami and something broke that he couldnt control like an oil line or had a battery issue that took him out of it. Its not fair really.
all it would take was a slow pit stop at the wrong time in the race, tire cut, you name it. Personally I am waiting for it. Might not be this year, but it will happen with these last couple of versions. The harpies will have a field day, Everybody will be having a field day all up in arms and they will change the format once again and tell us this latest version is the greatest. Sanity could return and the points system becomes less stick n ball like? :idunno:

This was one of my all time favorite look(s) back at the current system vs the non Chase system. It only went on to magnify how ridiculous the Chase Era had become when crowning its champion. Many will disagree but this was a real tough pill to swallow for some of us. :mad:

View attachment 29762

We're 14 years into this format in some form or another and it still seems no more legitimate to me than when it was first introduced but it is what it is.

Where did you find that? Was that on Jayski's or Racing Reference?

Here is how I see it. Truex has been the best team all year long. Fastest cars, etc. In the game 7 race, if he can't get it done, or if he gets beat, he doesn't deserve the championship. If Ricky Stenhouse somehow wins Sunday, makes it to Homestead and wins the title, he also deserves it. And that is that.

The old points format is nothing but fan fiction now. These are the rules, this is how a champion is crowned

The old points format is nothing but fan fiction now. These are the rules, this is how a champion is crowned
I agree whole heartedly but it would be nothing short of a travesty if Truex isn't the champ. I try to shy away from the "well Gordon would have ___ cups if" arguments because like you said, these are the rules we play by. While I don't necessarily agree with or love the format, I still consider Kyle Busch and Harvick legitimate champions because they played by the rules of the game and won.

Here is how I see it. Truex has been the best team all year long. Fastest cars, etc. In the game 7 race, if he can't get it done, or if he gets beat, he doesn't deserve the championship. If Ricky Stenhouse somehow wins Sunday, makes it to Homestead and wins the title, he also deserves it. And that is that.

This disgusting playoff format is a horrible way to determine a champion, so winning by the current rules is meaningless to me.

They still have that up for every race ... uses the current points system without playoff resets. Bottom right of the page.

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2017_Alabama_500/W

Just a quick note that this year's system is definitely not always comparable to the "classic" system because of stage points. 72 of the 101 points Truex is up on Larson is stage points, and Kyle Busch would be within reach as well if stage points were removed.

1. I hate the contrived playoffs, every version used.
2. I hate the chase elimination and the final four idea the most
3. I do like the stage points, I don't care for stopping the race for a blessed interview. But at least it will help to ensure that four of the very best get a shot at Homestead.
4. The playoff resets have also ruined the ability to measure a true championship season, by using a legitimate points table to recalculate a genuine hypothetical. In spite of the stage points the eliminations and resets still creates cases were racing for every position is pointless. I do appreciate the stages for at least minimizing some of that.
5. The idea that everything is manipulated to create a final four race is the most disgusting point.
6. I have never argued that the old points were perfect, they were far from being perfect They were written to help ensure full fields.
But they were at least consistent in the sense that a champion had to perform well for the entire season.
7. Validating the current BS simply because the old had some flaws, is an argument to embrace the mediocre. A losers argument imo, people that do not want to do better, measure with the lowest threshold available.

That being said, the elimination is still entertaining. I just don't like it being used as tool to award the championship. They could still do the thing, and hand out a chase elimination trophy and pay as much as the championship itself pays.
But the championship needs to go to the driver/team that performed best all year.
History needs to record it that way.

3. I do like the stage points, I don't care for stopping the race for a blessed interview. But at least it will help to ensure that four of the very best get a shot at Homestead.
4. The playoff resets have also ruined the ability to measure a true championship season, by using a legitimate points table to recalculate a genuine hypothetical. In spite of the stage points the eliminations and resets still creates cases were racing for every position is pointless. I do appreciate the stages for at least minimizing some of that.
5. The idea that everything is manipulated to create a final four race is the most disgusting point.
6. I have never argued that the old points were perfect, they were far from being perfect They were written to help ensure full fields.
But they were at least consistent in the sense that a champion had to perform well for the entire season.
7. Validating the current BS simply because the old had some flaws, is an argument to embrace the mediocre. A losers argument imo, people that do not want to do better, measure with the lowest threshold available.

That being said, the elimination is still entertaining. I just don't like it being used as tool to award the championship. They could still do the thing, and hand out a chase elimination trophy and pay as much as the championship itself pays.
But the championship needs to go to the driver/team that performed best all year.
Well said! You've typed every single thought that I've ever had about this method of crowning our champion. I agree with every single sentence from the first character typed to the period that concludes it. :cool:

Well said! You've typed every single thought that I've ever had about this method of crowning our champion. I agree with every single sentence from the first character typed to the period that concludes it. :cool:
The only thing missing was a mention of someone winning 35 races only to blow an engine at Homestead, gifting The Cup to Daniker.

The stage ponits was done to screw drivers who perfer lnog green flags who always start at the rear but inch forward like Dale Sr. and Jimmie johnson

I love this post. Applause. Please send to Brian France lol

Excellent post and I mostly agree. I would suggest reconsidering your support for this, or at least reserving judgment. To the extent that the points still matter, I don't think it is fully understood just how significant the stage points are and how severe a change it is to what a 400- or 500-mile race means. My biggest gripe with the way they are structured is how much performance in the first 25% of a race is over-rewarded. I can kinda live with points at halftime, but points at one quarter is just too silly. If somehow the playoffs and eliminations were thrown out, and they went back to a season-long points championship structure, who starts races well would become nearly as meaningful as who finishes them well.

The site in the like I posted usually does all three series at the end of the year. Only have Cup up right now.
Awesome. Hope we get them before the end cause I'm sure we got a chance this season for all 3 to be won by the guy with the best season.

In the absence of the playoff format, the championship would be all but decided with 4 races remaining.

Whatever it would be, wouldn't be as good as what we have now. Eight guys separated by, what, 60 or 65 points? Good heavens.

I'd rather have a credible championship, even if a driver secures it several races early.

Right now, we have a meaningless championship that's awarded to the luckiest driver over 10 races.

Back
Top Bottom