What would you change about the Chase format?

I liked the old system, I too have accepted change. From reading the other posts, maybe make the chase 15 or 20 races. Just a thought.

What NASCAR fails to understand is basically every other sport with a playoff HAS to have one due to factors such as inequitable schedule differences and whatnot. Name a sport with a playoff where every single competitor plays every other single competitor at each and every venue an equal amount of times in the regular season. You can't. In MLB, the NFL, the NBA, and every other major sport you can think of you play a large portion of your games against solely divisional or conference opponents, and in the case of MLB and the NFL you can go a few years without ever meeting certain opponents from the opposite conference or league (NL/AL and NFC/AFC). A good comparison for NASCAR is the English Premier League, where all 20 soccer clubs play each of the other 19 teams twice, once at home and once on the road, for a total of 38 games. Whatever team has the most points at the end of the season wins the championship. Simple as that.

What NASCAR fails to understand is basically every other sport with a playoff HAS to have one due to factors such as inequitable schedule differences and whatnot. Name a sport with a playoff where every single competitor plays every other single competitor at each and every venue an equal amount of times in the regular season.
You make an excellent point. For that reason the Chase playoff probably isn't needed, racing isn't like ball and stick sports.

yep FL that is why I like my guess, something to keep the bean counters happy, helps the ratings, gives the talking heads and the networks something to talk about. Doesn't make any sense as far as a competition angle..start over? reset? why are they racing the rest of the season..I get it, so they car start over.o_O

Also, I'd rather someone who is the best all year win the championship, even if he runs away with a missive lead, than someone who hasn't been the best all year win it.

This is actually pretty common in other sports too, especially the NFL. Last year, the Baltimore Ravens were not the best team in football during the regular season, but they got hot at the right time. Ditto for the New York Giants the year before. That year, the Green Bay Packers went 15-1 in the regular season and looked like they were gonna run away with the Lombardi trophy, but then out of nowhere came the 9-7 Giants who ended up winning the whole thing.

This is actually pretty common in other sports too, especially the NFL. Last year, the Baltimore Ravens were not the best team in football during the regular season, but they got hot at the right time. Ditto for the New York Giants the year before. That year, the Green Bay Packers went 15-1 in the regular season and looked like they were gonna run away with the Lombardi trophy, but then out of nowhere came the 9-7 Giants who ended up winning the whole thing.

Just because that's the way it is in other sports doesn't mean that's the way it has to be in NASCAR.

yep FL that is why I like my guess, something to keep the bean counters happy, helps the ratings, gives the talking heads and the networks something to talk about. Doesn't make any sense as far as a competition angle..start over? reset? why are they racing the rest of the season..I get it, so they car start over.o_O

I agree it helps the media. It gives them something to talk about all year long. Would anyone have been talking about Denny Hamlin the last couple of months without the Chase? No.
I have to disagree about the ratings though. They peaked between '04-'06 and have been tanking ever since. I think ratings were a large part of why NASCAR decided to implement it (kinda silly considering it was in its prime in terms of popularity beforehand) and it certainly hasn't worked out.

How about stop tampering with the points system. We had a points system in place for nearly 30 years where every race on the schedule carried the same weight toward the championship. We had to change the idea because a driver won the championship by winning only 1 race despite the fact he finished in the top 10 26 out of 36 races. So they create a points system in which all you have to do is be in the top 10 after 26 of 36 races and then you get a near do over for 10 races. Originally the farther back you finished the 26 races portion you were 5 points behind, then they changed that. It went to a 12 card chase. The they dumbed down the points per race so the guy in last received 1 point and the winner received 43 plus bonus points. They made it so each win in the 26 race season gives you bonus points in the chase and they added two wild card spots into the chase. All of these changes in just 10 seasons when we had a nearly flawless system, where it awarded drivers on consistency through all 36 events in place for 30 years.

How about stop tampering with the points system. We had a points system in place for nearly 30 years where every race on the schedule carried the same weight toward the championship. We had to change the idea because a driver won the championship by winning only 1 race despite the fact he finished in the top 10 26 out of 36 races. So they create a points system in which all you have to do is be in the top 10 after 26 of 36 races and then you get a near do over for 10 races. Originally the farther back you finished the 26 races portion you were 5 points behind, then they changed that. It went to a 12 card chase. The they dumbed down the points per race so the guy in last received 1 point and the winner received 43 plus bonus points. They made it so each win in the 26 race season gives you bonus points in the chase and they added two wild card spots into the chase. All of these changes in just 10 seasons when we had a nearly flawless system, where it awarded drivers on consistency through all 36 events in place for 30 years.

exactly

The only tweeking the old system needed was to award more points to the race winner.

period

If we have to have the blasted thing, replace the Talladega crap-shoot with a road course, and replace one of the cookie-cutters with Darlington (or Rockingham, but that's WAY too much to hope for).

Split the last 10 races between Daytona and Talladega.......

Ok , not really. Lol.
I heard another guy say that a win should be required to make the Chase and I like the idea. Now there is an incentive to win.
My buddy also thought there should be eliminations from the chase after certain rounds akin to NHRA,...again I like the idea.
Maybe drop the guy with the least points after the 3nd, 5th and 7th races. I dunno
The unchasers just keep points racing.

I like the Chase as it makes the last 10 races way more interesting for me.

I don't like the Chase. There's too much emphasis on the championship whereas NASCAR should be a week-by-week sport first and then the points title is secondary. I compare it more to golf in the sense that there are numerous competitors each week but there's no or very little talk about a "season" champion.

Having said that I realize that the Chase is unfortunately here to stay, so one of the main things I'd change is to not throw out the final "regular season" standings. Right now if the driver who finishes in first place will start the Chase behind all the others in the top 10 who had one or more wins. For example right now JJ would start the Chase in 2nd place despite finishing the first 36 races in first place.

If nascar wants more racing and be like the stick and ball sports with a play off they should divide the race into four quarters and award points for leading those laps.

exactly

The only tweeking the old system needed was to award more points to the race winner.

period

That was the 'but' that started the whole avalanche and now they can't stop tweaking .

If nascar wants more racing and be like the stick and ball sports with a play off they should divide the race into four quarters and award points for leading those laps.

And they should add a seventh inning stretch , I like that .I'm old , I get stiff.

I don't like the Chase. There's too much emphasis on the championship whereas NASCAR should be a week-by-week sport first and then the points title is secondary. I compare it more to golf in the sense that there are numerous competitors each week but there's no or very little talk about a "season" champion.

That is how I understand NASCAR used to be. You could win seven races in a year but not win the points title like Tim Richmond in 1986 and still be crowned Driver of the Year or something like that. Nowadays anything less than a championship seems like a failure.

exactly

period

That's been suggested for quite a while but I think NASCAR doesn't want a driver to win the championship by getting the most wins but then performing poorly or even skipping a number of races. The thing about the points system is that it has always rewarded consistency, but the problem with points racing is that it often lends itself to bad racing. With points racing drivers are often very happy with a top-5 or even top-10 finish. If they are going to stick with points racing I think they should add the element of giving points for every lap led to keep drivers from just churning laps all day until they come to the last 20 or 30 laps of the race. Of course this would require another revamping of the points system.

I hated the Chase when it was first introduced, but I've warmed to it the last several years. In the pre-Chase years, there were some instances where at this point in the season, there were only 2 or 3 guys who had a realistic shot at the Championship. It made things kind of anti-climatic when the points leader had a 300-400 point lead on 2nd by the time we went to Daytona in July. That's the biggest thing I think the Chase has fixed.

That's been suggested for quite a while but I think NASCAR doesn't want a driver to win the championship by getting the most wins but then performing poorly or even skipping a number of races. The thing about the points system is that it has always rewarded consistency, but the problem with points racing is that it often lends itself to bad racing. With points racing drivers are often very happy with a top-5 or even top-10 finish. If they are going to stick with points racing I think they should add the element of giving points for every lap led to keep drivers from just churning laps all day until they come to the last 20 or 30 laps of the race. Of course this would require another revamping of the points system.

That is such an old wives tale . When a driver can't win and is disappointed by finishing second or third , he answer's the stupid reporters question "How did you like losing ?" with "At least we had a good points day." In no way does that mean he was 'points racing ' , nor does it mean that he wasn't going all out to win. That would be as stupid as the reporters ' question . The first aim of every driver is to get the highest finish possible .The only thing true about 'points racing' is that every driver tries to get the maximum points possible. Some of these races pay a million bucks to win , do you really think giving them another ten points is going to make them try harder .That's what I tell my wife when she doesn't win at Bingo , 'try harder'.:D

sure it will if they need those ten points to make the chase. look what the 24 did last year at Richmond just to make the chase. giving points for leading certain laps in the race would sure help the racing IMO.

sure it will if they need those ten points to make the chase. look what the 24 did last year at Richmond just to make the chase. giving points for leading certain laps in the race would sure help the racing IMO.

I suppose it would , if you assume the Chevy guys aren't trying . If they are already trying and can't catch the leader , it just gives the leader a bigger points lead . IMO

Yesterdays race a perfect example of what can happen when drivers are not worried about points...take a chance at winning with a risky pit call. This time it worked.

Back
Top Bottom