What's your favorite track?

I like short tracks like Bristol, Martinsville, and I love going to the local short tracks. Better if they have dirt! :D

Darlington. It takes no prisoners. Why there are not two races there each year is a mystery only the France mafia knows. This track makes it hard on the best of the very best.

Martinsville, Bristol, Watkins Glenn, Dover, Atlanta/Texas, and Rockingham Speedway (why is there no cup race there anymore? Never got to see one in person :().

Rockingham Speedway (why is there no cup race there anymore? Never got to see one in person :().
Lack of fan support was the given reason. Most likely it was the $'s that they felt could be made by moving the dates elsewhere. One thing that will be interesting to see though..... 27,500 showed up there last year for the truck race. We are only a couple weeks away from them running there again. I wonder if they'll still draw that many fans or is the fan interest going away again? It may not be too much longer and we'll be reading about it closing. I haven't heard anyone talking about this years race like I did last year.

I like Richmond because it has a few different elements to it. It is a somewhat large short track, so you get a lot of the contact and close racing you do with martinsville or bristol, but speeds are still relatively high. It has average banking, just enough that there are multiple lanes, but not all the way up to the wall. And its always a night race.

I Love Sonoma

Sears Point is my favorite CURRENT track - by far! My all-time fave is the now-defunct Riverside International Raceway (RIP).

But I love Bristol, Martinsville and Watkins Glen too.

Lack of fan support was the given reason.
I went to The Rock spring and fall for years. I watched the crowds dwindle from year to year. The place was barely half full for the last three events. Lack of fan support wasn't just the given reason, it was THE reason, period.

But as long as Andy puts on any kind of show, I'll be there.

Lack of fan support was the given reason. Most likely it was the $'s that they felt could be made by moving the dates elsewhere. One thing that will be interesting to see though..... 27,500 showed up there last year for the truck race. We are only a couple weeks away from them running there again. I wonder if they'll still draw that many fans or is the fan interest going away again? It may not be too much longer and we'll be reading about it closing. I haven't heard anyone talking about this years race like I did last year.

Richmond had crappy weather sometimes in early February. I remember one day it was like 55 degrees and everybody was talking about how cold it was. Of course, 55 degrees in February would be like tropical weather in Wisconsin so I thought all those good old boys were just being whiny.

I have a few favorite tracks.

New Hampshire - Since the Milwaukee Mile is my hometown track, I have a soft spot in my heart for 1-mile paperclips. Plus, everybody seems to hate Loudon, but is totally unwarranted in my opinion.

Michigan/Fontana - A lot of mediocre races, but they still are WIDE, BIG and FAST. I like these two tracks more than Daytona/Talladega because the driver has to use his brain (ie: braking) and no dumb restrictor plates.

Sonoma/Watkins Glen - MORE ROAD COURSES. Make them turn right and left, damnit! I don't care what the TV ratings and "road courses are boring" people say. Road racing is a real test of skill!

Richmond - Love this track. Short 'n fast.

Dover - Another crazy freaking track.

In order of preference

1. Martinsville
2. Darlington
3 .Wilksboro
4. Bristol
5. Richmond
6. New Hampshere
7. Dover
8. Phoneix I liked old better than new
9. Rockingham
10. Watkins Glen
11. Charlotte

Iowa would be a top 5
If I had my way they would run martinsville once a month.

Talladega, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Bristol, Martinsville, Wilkesboro, & the former Riverside Raceway...

I understand the numbers were down but they did kind of screw us on the dates. Used to be the race right after Daytona which I'm not surprised when it drew bad attendance. It's still pretty cold in NC and it rains a lot during that time of year here too. I know it drew more fans in the past on the same date but I think it was more of a slump than a trend that was going to continue forever. The second race was always more popular and we lost that date to another track.

I just enjoyed the races there because it was one of the few places where the tires would wear out long before the gas in the tank would dry up. I like races where you have to conserve the car, or drive on bad tires at the end of runs, and make the tough choices between pitting and losing a lot of track position or trying to drive it to victory on old tires. :)

Also, we lost a lot of races around that same time. NC used to host several races a year, most tracks getting multiple dates. Then they gave away one race here and there to the newer tracks, then they closed up most of our tracks all together or decided to only run non-Winston cup races at them if we were lucky. Personally I find it disgraceful that the "home of NASCAR" only hosts two super speedway races a year plus the "all star race".

Which by the way, for most of us those races might as well be run in South Carolina because I'm driving 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours anyway just to get to Concord. I can actually get to Richmond in less time, Martinsville is right down the road, hell Bristol is closer iirc (although you do have to do some mountain driving to get there).

I just wish NC still had at least one non-superspeedway track scheduled each year, hell take away one of the Charlotte dates if you must.

i know thread is old, but i'm new here, and in my opinion, just tracks i've seen live, darlington is great to me, but before they messed it up, BRISTOL, and the night race there, BEAUTIFUL. never seen dover but always loved that track, not so much now, so with all the changes and years of wear, Darlington for sure.

Martinsville. It's a great place to watch a race, especially if you like sleeping in your vehicle and tailgaiting with other race fans.

Superspeedway: Dega
1.5er: Atlanta
Action track: Darlington
1 mile: Dover
Mini Superspeedway: Richmond
1/2 mile: Martinsville
Road Course: Watkins Glen

Non NASCAR

Paved oval: Oxford Plains
Dirt oval Lebanon Valley

Dragway

Thunder Valley
Maple Grove

Well....you called that...

Talladega...would love to see these cars run unrestricted and fly around this place at 240mph one day.

Dover, tv will never do it justice

Back
Top Bottom