Which gimmick worked, which didn't.

I’m neutral on all of the gimmicks. I could take them or leave them.
What I think could be better is the format. Short final segment on a short track is a waste of airtime. For a million bucks you’d think the final segment would have at least one fuel run.

The gimmick that doesn't work is Rick freaking Allen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OR they could have a race that has some meaning to it, like points and a regular purse.
They have been saying for years it is a race for a million dollar winner take all. Where ya been asleep? That would be meaningful
[/QUOTE]
For 1 team to win the million ( does the team win or just the driver) the other teams combined will spend a heck of a lot more.

I liked the choose your lane cone.

The lights were whatever. Personally I don't care about manufacturers so I don't care about colors matching them. I prefer the idea someone in here said about matching the lights to the paint schemes instead.

The new numbers I was indifferent. It looked fine and if it makes the sponsors happy then go for it. Numbers were big enough to still see anyway.

Why is it okay for every other driver to give smartass interviews when they get wrecked? Why is it okay for Harrison Burton and Noah Gragson and Clint Bowyer to fight but not Bubba.

I'd rather see Bubba go punch him in the face than talk about the guy's religion and that's coming from an atheist who doesn't even like McDowell. I thought it was lame.

Leaving the piece of his car on his hauler was hilarious though, I enjoyed that lol

Didn't work:

The under-glow: Honestly I found the under-glow to be half-assed. I was expecting Kurt Busch's at the burn-out in Nashville level of under-glow. However, we just got a half-assed attempt, might as well not done it at all

Choose Cone (parts): Now I liked the idea of the Choose Cone in theory & in practice in short tracks across the country, but a part of the allure of the Choose Cone was taking a risk. In the All Star Open, the Choose Cone definitely worked. Drivers were willing to roll the dice & choose the non-preferred line to gain spots. We also saw that lap being broadcasted.

However, the thing kind of fell apart in the ASR, it seems like drivers were willing to take risks & I say seem like because Fox Sports never showed the Choose Cone lap. They just picked up the broadcasting at 1 to go. I mean, at least give us a side by side with the Choose Cone lap.

What worked:

New number placement:. Honestly, I was mostly indifferent to NASCAR moving the numbers around. It seem like mostly an aesthetic choice with no real consequences.

However, I actually think some of the teams pulled it off & gave us some really awesome paint schemes. Others were more "meh." Hopefully, the number placement will be left up to the teams & we'll see some new exciting paint scheme in the future.

Bristol: This is kind of a mixed bag, while I loved the short track atmosphere, the All Star Open being "race your way in" & the close quarters racing Bristol encourages, the All Star Open was the only event where the Action on the track matched the atmosphere.

The All Star Race was a Sunday drive in comparison. I don't know what can be done to spice up the ASR without resorting to more gimmicks. Maybe remove the traction compound?

Under-glow: Was very underwhelming mainly because they only did it in the back of the cars, plus it just doesn't work as well under the lights. It was pretty damm cool when they did the burnouts in Nashville for the awards banquet.

Choose cone: I think this is great but was disappointed they didn't show drivers picking their lane every time.

Number placement: Didn't care for it

Bristol: How can you not love it being at Bristol even though the main event was a bit disappointing? I'm probably in the minority here but would love to see NASCAR really do something different like take the ASR to someplace like Hickory, South Boston, Bowman Gray, or North Wilkesboro. I realize all these tracks aren't NASCAR-ready but make the commitment and make it happen! They talk about a big change in the schedule yet it sounds like all we're gonna see as far as new tracks is Nashville (another intermediate track) and possibly Road America. And nothing against Road America, another road course is great.

Underglow was Meh. Although I didn't mind somebody's idea on here to use it to indicate lead lap cars at short tracks.

Choose Cone - NBC/Fox will need to do a better job of showcasing it. Id imagine they would if the made the cone are regular occurrence.

Number placement - Respectfully, as a newish fan watching closely for 5 seasons now I really didnt understand all of the backlash for trying this out. I understand the importance and history of the numbers but it wasnt a drastic change in size and still prominently shown on the roofs. Some of them pulled it off well such as the 9, 17 and 37. Other cares looked half-*ssed.

... take the ASR to someplace like Hickory, South Boston, Bowman Gray, or North Wilkesboro. I realize all these tracks aren't NASCAR-ready but make the commitment and make it happen!
Who's paying for this? And why would they incur the debt to bring one of these tracks up to current Cup standards for just a single weekend?

Look for someone who really needs a huge tax loss.

Back
Top Bottom