Which of Jimmie Johnson's Championships is most impressive?

JGR_20

Team Owner
I really want this to be a serious topic, not a bash towards Jimmie or a "certain points system" or any of that stuff...

Sometimes it's hard to understand the magnitude of a dynasty as it's still happening... whether anyone likes it or not it's truly incredible what Jimmie and his #48 team have done in the Cup Series.

If you were to look at his seven Championship's and pick one that for some reason seems most impressive to you, which would it be?

I think it was 2007 or whatever the year it was that Jeff Gordon had a really good run in the chase but JJ did even better. I am sure the JG fans will remember it and can confirm or name the correct year it took place.

Certainly not last year. Although the other 9 races of the chase were pretty impressive.

What they have accomplished is remarkable. I would say the most impressive would be 5th pretty close with the 11

His 2007 Chase was absolutely phenominal. Without the Chase points resets, Gordon smoked em all. 2007 & 2014 were heartbreak seasons for Gordon fans.
It still hurts my heart, he could just never put it together in The Chase

2007 winning 10 races including win streaks of 2, 2 and 4 races. To be fair however Chevy was insanely dominant at that time

I'll go along with all of them, he still had to play by the same rules as everyone else and still came out on top.

I agree completely! I consider it an honor as race fan to have witnessed his career/accomplishments in the Cup Series. I don't try and pull for any one guy at the moment, just a race fan... but I would like to see him win #8.

The year he beat Hamlin imo. Hamlin was faster and had the better car that that year, he should have won the thing. JJ was just more mature and more poised.

This is mine too.

Johnson was down significantly to Hamlin in the last two races and it was a combination of Hamlin melting down in front of our eyes and then Jimmie delivering when it mattered.

Poor Hamlin hasn't recovered from that defeat to this day.

Jimmie Johnson stunted Jeff Gordon's growth as a Cup Champion. While Jeff was showing the world that a Cup Champion could break dance -- Jimmie was rolling off 5 consecutive Cup Championships and never looked back.

Jimmie's most impressive Championship is his next one... The Ocho!

===

"You are what your record says you are."
- Bill Parcells

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmie Johnson stunted Jeff Gordon's growth as a Cup Champion. While Jeff was showing the world that a Cup Champion could break dance -- Jimmie was rolling off 5 consecutive Cup Championships and never looked back.

Jimmie's greatest Championship is his next one... The Ocho!

===

"You are what your record says you are."
- Bill Parcells

LOL no.

The only year you could honestly say Jeff Gordon would have won the championship in the chase era was in 2007 and then 2014 which had nothing to do with Jimmie at all.

Also stunted his growth as a champion?

LOL no.

The only year you could honestly say Jeff Gordon would have won the championship in the chase era was in 2007 and then 2014 which had nothing to do with Jimmie at all.

Also stunted his growth as a champion?
Wouldn't he have won in 04 too? I agree that 07 was Jeff's year, Jimmie was just unreal the final 5 races or so

Wouldn't he have won in 04 too? I agree that 07 was Jeff's year, Jimmie was just unreal the final 5 races or so

Non chase, sure he would have. More than just the 1 or 2. No chase Jeff easily would be sitting on at least 7 championships today.

I meant in the actual chase. He only had the 2 real oportunities in 2007 and 2014.

I'll bite.
2010 for stated reasons.

I'm surprised no one listed 2008.

Edwards and KB had everyone covered regular season, and Edwards ran even better in the chase as KB choked. Jimmie didn't have the speed, but managed 4 wins pre chase.

Don't forget, Carl had the second best season to Gordon's 2007 that year in recent years. 9 wins, 21 top 5s, 27 top 10s, 3 of the last 4 races. Jimmie won 3 in the chase and didnt mess up once.

But 2007 was THE most impressive and was when the JJ started getting invalidated, and Gordon's lack of more titles became rationalized.

Gordon was the next great driver, THE best in the business, the guy who was gonna win 7 and has an unreal dominant season. He carried it over to the chase and ran strong and won. Jimmie won 4 in row. That was the year for me when I realized the cup series no longer belonged to Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon.

The year he beat Hamlin imo. Hamlin was faster and had the better car that that year, he should have won the thing. JJ was just more mature and more poised.
I remember the look of doubt on Denny's face during the pre-Homestead pressers. Jimmie played it cool and got into Denny's thoughts and dreams (nightmares.)

This is mine too.

Johnson was down significantly to Hamlin in the last two races and it was a combination of Hamlin melting down in front of our eyes and then Jimmie delivering when it mattered.

Poor Hamlin hasn't recovered from that defeat to this day.
100% correct.

I would say number 8 is.

I remember the look of doubt on Denny's face during the pre-Homestead pressers. Jimmie played it cool and got into Denny's thoughts and dreams (nightmares.)

That was as big a choke as Atlanta in the Super Bowl earlier this year. After he threw his crew under the bus at Phoenix, I knew he'd piss it away at Miami.

The thing is, he really hasn't.

That season had a psychological effect on him, it was strait up trauma. Feel kind of bad. I partially blame it on Mike Ford.
I think Denny will look back one day on a HOF career and realize that was his shot. Jimmie played him and got into his head. That was Denny's season. He'll have to console himself with a plaque in Charlotte, millions of dollars and his hot ex-cheerleader wife. Boo hoo. :D

I think Denny will look back one day on a HOF career and realize that was his shot. Jimmie played him and got into his head. That was Denny's season. He'll have to console himself with a plaque in Charlotte, millions of dollars and his hot ex-cheerleader wife. Boo hoo. :D

Yup. He may not notice it now, but Jimmie is in everyone's head. After his chase win at Charlotte, the rest of the field knew they were gonna have to beat him. For all his success, he still doesn't get the recognition as a driver, it seems. Yes, he has fast cars. But they are fast because they are loose, and they aren't just loose, they are loose to fit his driving style. He can handle the loosest car than anyone because he drives the right side of the car. There are a lot of good drivers out there, but when it comes to driving a cup car, he absolutely has the most talent out of anyone, and it blows my mind this this isn't general knowledge. Gordon has admitted he can't drive Jimmie's cars, Kyle himself has referred to him as superman in how he can just win. Him stealing more wins with 6th place cars than total races other stars have won is enough, and you dont just outwin Kyle Busch by 30 races since 2005 because of fast cars.

Back
Top Bottom