Who Drives The 88 In 2017 (if Junior Retires This Year)?

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
If Dale Junior were to decide to retire by this winter, Rick Hendrick and HMS would need to scramble to sign a driver for a year or multiple years. Who would be on Hendrick's short list of drivers to put in the car?

Alex Bowman's resume is woefully inadequate for such a high profile ride, IMO. He has two years in Cup with small, under funded teams. The most telling stat about those two years is that neither team chose to retain him for a second year. That speaks volumes, IMO. Not ready for the 88, but it might make sense to sign Bowman for an Xfinity car.

Daniel Suarez is much more ready for Cup. IMO he is the best prospect in the lower divisions now that Erik Jones is in the Furniture Row 77. Suarez may be locked down by Gibbs, or maybe not. I don't know his contract situation, but I'll bet that Rick Hendrick does know it by now.

Kyle Larson is under contract to Ganassi through 2017, according to widespread reports. I doubt that Chip would entertain offers to rip up the contract. Is this a possibility?

I'm pretty sure Ryan Blaney is under long term contract to Penske. Hands off, Rick.

I don't know Chris Buescher's contract status, nor do I know how highly he would be regarded. Just guessing, but he doesn't seem ready for prime time such as the 88 ride.

Ryan Newman is available. Jamie McMurray is too, I believe. Aric Almirola is a free agent as well. And maybe Ricky Stenhouse. Newman and McMurray would be plug-and-play, but probably a low ceiling. It is hard for outsiders to judge young drivers in mediocre teams, such as Almirola. From these four veterans, can you see any HMS interest?

AJ Allmendinger is under contract to Tad Geschickter through 2020. It would not surprise me if AJ has an escape clause. Any thoughts on The Dinger in the 88? I am intrigued by this possibility.

I don't think this would happen, but could Gordon stay for the full season if Hendrick was really in a pinch?

I don't think this would happen, but could Gordon stay for the full season if Hendrick was really in a pinch?
Drivers have done that before. Pretty much what Mark Martin did for Roush in 2006 and Ricky Rudd did for Yates in 2007, going back to their teams after "retiring" because the owner had no better options.

For me the last thing you do is worry about who is under contract as if you can identify a driver you would like that has a year or 2 left on his current deal you sign him to a deal that goes into effect when his current deal expires. More than likely the driver will end up being released and voila....you have your driver!

Is Denny Hamlin a free agent at the end of the year? Also I heard Kenseth was discussing contracts which means he's close to being a free agent. It would take a lot of money to steal either though.

I often wonder what drivers like him would do if they had the chance a top notch team. It doesn't take much to look at the season Boyer is having to realize what a difference the ride makes.

I think the biggest hindrance for AJ is his age as he will be 35 in a few months and ideally you would want to put a much younger up and comer in the seat or an established vet with a successful track record.

I think the biggest hindrance for AJ is his age as he will be 35 in a few months and ideally you would want to put a much younger up and comer in the seat or an established vet with a successful track record.
I had thought the same when Stewart choose Boyer to replace him, but who knows, it might make a winning combination.

Sadler's earned the shot.

Let's see what he can do in a steady cup ride.
say what? he couldn't run in a gibbs car, while the rest of the team won half the races. Suarez is not ready for cup, success in a gibbs NXS car doesn't mean much to me. The hauler driver could run one in the top 10 against the rest of the competition if they were in a gibbs car. I really don't know what hendrick does. The problem is pretty much all the new talent out there came because they bought the rides, had an inside track on sponsorship or some other reason they are in the car other than pure performance. The rest of the guys that are successful are pretty well settled. neither of the penske drivers are leaving, no one from gibbs, and for heaven sake stop with the harvick crap. The guy just signed with SHR again. he doesn't care if its a volkswagen as long as its fast and pays. the havick to Ford deal is way way overblown.

I don't think Jr will retire this year. Every time he's been asked he has said he wants to continue racing. After next year is a much better time to get out. Then you have Larson as a free agent and maybe William Byron ready to step up. If you wait until after 2018 however you have an issue with replacing Kahne and Jr at the same time.

Put the other Earnhardt in it, the one that drives a Ford and finishes quite regularly in the top 40. Just think of the money saved by not having to re decal the name on the roof and all the tee shirts and hats sold with the earnhardt name on it. .
Harvick? mmm maybe
Sadler? slight chance
Bueshcer?
Kenseth yes, Hanglin no
Richard Petty? probably not so much.
Its Bowman's ride to win or lose and if he does good the rest of this year, why not.
It will be a surprise for sure.

If Dale is truly done (I don't think he is) I think the smart move would be Newman for a couple years. I'm sure Hendrick would try for Larson but I'm not sure how realistic of a possibility that would be. Personally I would love to see Chris Buescher get a ride with HMS, but I'm betting Roush/Ford does everything they can to keep him.

I think William Byron replaces Kahne in the 5 car in 2018, and I would like to see John Hunter Nemechek eventually end up in the 88/25 car.

Clearly in the minority here, I too would like Daniel Suarez.

But Newman for a year and pursue Larson* in free agency (and sign & announce him early) makes a lot of sense.

*Least we forget Target leaving Indy Car and the possible exit from Motorsport

Back
Top Bottom