Who Drives The 88 In 2017 (if Junior Retires This Year)?

What makes sense for Larson is a few shots at the Indianapolis 500 in a good car.

Midgets, Sprinters and Silver Crown culture ... that's what he comes from. Ganassi will be home for quite a while. Just my opinion, of course.

Agreed.

If he hasn't come close to a championship in 5-10 years, maybe he'll consider another team at that point. But in the meantime he's in a really good situation at Ganassi. For several reasons, it probably makes more sense for him to stay put. Even if he leaves to join Hendrick or one of the top dogs, there's no guarantee he will see a dramatic improvement in performance.

The grass isn't always greener.

A one or two year Newman stopgap could be smart. I hadn't thought of that. I think it depends on what Rick's plan is for the rest of the cars. Is JJ gonna retire maybe in just a few years too? And the 5 will most likely open up for 2018. And then the 88 too? If that were the case then put Bowman in the 88, then Byron and Larson in the 48 and 5 as the seats open.

A one or two year Newman stopgap could be smart. I hadn't thought of that. I think it depends on what Rick's plan is for the rest of the cars. Is JJ gonna retire maybe in just a few years too? And the 5 will most likely open up for 2018. And then the 88 too? If that were the case then put Bowman in the 88, then Byron and Larson in the 48 and 5 as the seats open.
Johnson is in excellent health. Unless something happens to alter that, he'll run at least until he gets #7. At least...

If for some reason Jr is done, I think Hendrick just move Byron up early. I don't see an issue with having him run 88 full time and the JRM ride semi-full time. I know the kid is green, the trucks to Cup has been done before and can be done again successfully.

If Dale is truly done (I don't think he is) I think the smart move would be Newman for a couple years. I'm sure Hendrick would try for Larson but I'm not sure how realistic of a possibility that would be. Personally I would love to see Chris Buescher get a ride with HMS, but I'm betting Roush/Ford does everything they can to keep him.
The thing about Buescher or any young shoe is not what his current team would do to keep him, but what has his current team *already done* about long term binding contracts. If an opportunity pops up, it is then too late to prevent the young man from considering it. For example, it appears that Roush and Ford like Buescher for the future, but plan for him to remain in the 34 car (link to article). We don't know if Buescher is tied up, or free to consider other offers.

Is Denny Hamlin a free agent at the end of the year? Also I heard Kenseth was discussing contracts which means he's close to being a free agent. It would take a lot of money to steal either though.
In a speculative, think-outside-the-box thread, this is an excellent post but my guess is... Ain't gonna happen :D.

I think Larson is under a serious multi year contract with CGR
Jenna Fryer of AP has reported that Larson is not free to even discuss future employment with other teams until mid-year 2017. And I don't believe Rick Hendrick wants to run roughshod over other teams' contracts. He has never done that AFAIK. So I agree, Larson is under a serious contract and probably untouchable unless Chip Ganassi agrees to it.

Jenna Fryer of AP has reported that Larson is not free to even discuss future employment with other teams until mid-year 2017. And I don't believe Rick Hendrick wants to run roughshod over other teams' contracts. He has never done that AFAIK. So I agree, Larson is under a serious contract and probably untouchable unless Chip Ganassi agrees to it.
The kid finally got that first win. I expect this won't be his last. He finally settled down and drove the car without tearing down the fence.
When his contract is up Chip is gonna have to step up the dough to keep him. Any of the top teams would like to have Larson. Personally, I'd like to see him in the 14 with Kurt and Kevin as teammates. IMO, CGR is not a top tier team.
Jamie Mac is an under rated driver.

I see a lot of talk about Newman, but I just thought...what about Menard? He's younger and brings sponsorship, plus has yet to announce his plans beyond 2016. I highly doubt either driver ends up at Hendrick but I think Menard would be more likely than Newman at this point.

Boy, Buescher's name is sure getting a lot of play here. The guy wins one race and some of y'all are carrying on like he's the next Trevor Bayne. :rolleyes:

Except he's won an ARCA championship with a mid pack team, an Xfinity title driving for Roush who's been horrible the last 4 years, and finished 5th at Bristol giving Front Row Motorsports it's best ever finish not counting the two wins they have, one of which he gave them. Why yes, he's just like Trevor Bayne o_O:owquitit:

Larson will be with CGR for an extended period of time, in my opinion. And I would rather it be that way anyways if it's the only way he gets to compete in other forms of racing.

I'd like to see CGR improve as an organization and build upon Kyle rather than see every young talent join one of the evil empires.

Johnson is in excellent health. Unless something happens to alter that, he'll run at least until he gets #7. At least...
That might come to pass, but you are guessing. I'm guessing JJ will extend his contract one more time for 2018-19 and call it a career at age 44. (Depending on championship results, both guesses could come true.)

gonna have to be a cash cow...

Danica?

menard?

most of you are far more up to date on who is under contract and until when, so here are my thoughts...

chase is a great talent. the only long term future in place. jr. future up in the air. at this point, wouldn't surprise me to hear he hung up his helmet tomorrow. kasey...doesn't carry the banner. black sheep. jimmie...wouldn't surprise me if he and chad won another cup, but if performance drops, how long will he hang around?

hendick is too smart to not have a plan. maybe he brings kyle back?!!!! but he needs an infusion of talent and marketability that only an established driver can provide.

jmo

giphy.gif
Your drivers under contract...

Except he's won an ARCA championship with a mid pack team, an Xfinity title driving for Roush who's been horrible the last 4 years, and finished 5th at Bristol giving Front Row Motorsports it's best ever finish not counting the two wins they have, one of which he gave them. Why yes, he's just like Trevor Bayne o_O:owquitit:
Pretty sure he was kidding, but yes Chris is the real deal. I want him to stay with Roush, but if they aren't going to get serious about his 2017 season, HMS would be silly to not go after him.

Can't see Newman in an HMS car. I respect both Newman and HMS, but they are just to different imo. Newman has a little Bowyer crude in him, probably the type that would celebrate farting during the weekly tuesday drivers team meeting. Probably wouldn't agree to the weekly group hug either.

Newman or Regan Smith would make me want to off myself. Why not Elliott Sadler for a year?

And what if number 7 is this year or next year and then he decides he hit the magic number and since the last one took longer than the first six that he wants to just spend the rest of his days being a dad?

And what if number 7 is this year or next year and then he decides he hit the magic number and since the last one took longer than the first six that he wants to just spend the rest of his days being a dad?

It is kind of weird reading your comment and seeing your avatar....hearing Rickys voice while I have TPB on on the background.

Newman or Regan Smith would make me want to off myself. Why not Elliott Sadler for a year?
Newman has had a lot more success than Sadler. He is a Daytona 500 winner after all.

I agree with Newman on a two tear deal, then turn it over to Byron if he keeps the path he's on now.

Sadler burned his bridges with ANY team in Cup. He is black balled by his own actions.
Sadler never lived up to any contract he signed.

This.

Average driver gets fired for being average, then tries to force their hand by suing them in an awkward attempt to keep his job. Talk about a bold strategy. And by "bold" I mean a ridiculously stupid and shortsighted strategy. I wonder how he expected that move to play out. :wacko:

This.

Average driver gets fired for being average, then tries to force their hand by suing them in an awkward attempt to keep his job. Talk about a bold strategy. And by "bold" I mean a ridiculously stupid and shortsighted strategy. I wonder how he expected that move to play out. :wacko:

He has had steady employment in Xfinity since and has a sponsor that keeps him in a car. He's doing better than most.

Xfinity points leader and has driven smart all year. Plus the JRM to Hendrick ties. I think it makes sense for a year despite his past.

Back
Top Bottom