Who is you favorite OLD time racer

pistolshooter

Team Owner
My favorite is bobby Allison
Dale sr
Harry gant
Petty I can take or leave
Waltrip no way if we could get him out of the box every week

Just a few that I like and would like to see back others should have been dumped a long time ago such as cry baby rusty Wallace always crying it was someone else's fault the bush brothers took over his spot It's always somebody else's fault it's never their faults Kirk and Kyle need to grow up a little bit and realize that things happen on the racetrack that aren't necessarily aimed at them things happen at times Maybe if just a little bit more respect Wishart on the track that we would get a lot better racing each week Maybe it's just time to describe Brady start growing up and see that there are 43 other drivers around them each week Just by two cents worth

Does Mark Martin count?

Dale Sr, DW and Rusty Wallace. You don't realize it until later how much of an honor it was just to get to see Earnhardt race in person or on TV. So many of the younger fans will be deprived of that.

Petty was my favorite as a boy. The first "racing" I ever watched was from movies. My cousin told me about Fireball Roberts and Petty. He accounts had me wanting to be a Fireball fan, then he explained to me that Roberts had been killed, so I went to my first race already a Petty fan.

Locally I liked Jack Ingrams brown #11 Chevy's, Butch Lindley,Donnie Bishop, Bob Sennaker, and Mike Eddy

I liked the young Darrell Waltrip. He had a big mouth then as well, but in the late 70s and 80s he was fast.
Dale Earnhardt of course.
Bobby Issac, Morgan Sheppard and he wast fast when he was young too.
Harry Gant solid and classy.
In open wheel cars AJ Foyt, Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda and Gordon Johncock.

Pearson and Allison, I was just young and dumb and too opinionated at the time to appreciate them the way I should have. They were competition to my favorite drivers .
After watching Pearson at Charlotte he was just too good for me to hate himany longer.
I became more impressed by Allison for the way raced at my local track.
Pearson and Allison two of the best ever.

Well I think that my avatar pretty much tells you that Dale Earnhardt is my all time favorite.

I was a Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan growing up. It is always been kind of strange to me all the admiration Dale Sr. got after he was killed because I certainly remember he was hated on a Kurt/Kyle Busch type level when he was alive.

I was a Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan growing up. It is always been kind of strange to me all the admiration Dale Sr. got after he was killed because I certainly remember he was hated on a Kurt/Kyle Busch type level when he was alive.

Yeah I feel like Jimmie Johnson will actually get much more praise after he is done than right now. I have to admit, I really dont want to like him, but he is good for the sport and he has a very likeable personality.

Yeah I feel like Jimmie Johnson will actually get much more praise after he is done than right now. I have to admit, I really dont want to like him, but he is good for the sport and he has a very likeable personality.

Yeah, I don't care for Jimmie Johnson, but you have to certainly respect what he's done.

I was a huge Harry Gant fan growing up. The fact that he won 4 consecutive races at age 51 is still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in NASCAR.

It is always been kind of strange to me all the admiration Dale Sr. got after he was killed because I certainly remember he was hated on a Kurt/Kyle Busch type level when he was alive.

I was one of those that hated Sr. I'm sure I can answer for most. Even though we disliked him on the track, we still respected what he did off the track and what he accomplished on it.

As for the topic...DaveyAllison and Rusty Wallace.

Fireball Roberts. My driver until he died then Richard Petty until Atlanta 1992 when he retired.

My favorite driver when I first started watching NASCAR was Bill Elliott. That was around 1986. After following Jeff Gordon through his open wheel racing, when he made the move to Cup he became my favorite and still is today. Still like Elliott though and enjoyed watching him win some races late in his career with Evernham.

Richard Petty. Saw him win the first NASCAR race I ever attended in 1975 at Atlanta. Made me a fan of his that day.

The fact that he did what he did while running part-time for many seasons is remarkable.

He ran a full schedule 3 times and won the Cup each time. He routinely beat Petty head to head and he did so while smoking a cigarette for the first 3/4 of the race. He was a cool cat.

He ran a full schedule 3 times and won the Cup each time. He routinely beat Petty head to head and he did so while smoking a cigarette for the first 3/4 of the race. He was a cool cat.

When they both finished 1 and 2nd Pearson won 33, Petty 30 that is a slight edge not a routine whipping.

I read somewhere he has the best winning percentage ever, over 60% of his starts he won. That is utter domination.

I read somewhere he has the best winning percentage ever, over 60% of his starts he won. That is utter domination.
He was good but he wasn't nearly that good.

Wining percentage.jpg

Definitely a different era of racing. I do like that at least different manufacturers have slightly different car shapes again though

Old Time or OLD TIME?
These days one must be clear on which era is in play.

Lee Petty - an innovator and one of the all-time greats
Wendell Scott - just because
Richard Petty - He's the Effing King!
Benny Parsons, Harry Gant, Tim Richmond, David Pearson, Fireball Roberts, Junior Johnson, Neil Bonnett, Ned Jarrett, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Donny Allison, Bill Elliot, Alan Kulwicki, Ernie Irvan...

How many do you want??

Hey, dont forget the fact that he cheats.
And dont forget Chad. Actually, chad does cheat.

Dale ************* Earnhardt Sr.

Not even a question. Lock the thread.

Dale Sr, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Davey Allison

My all-time favorite is King Richard Petty. I also think he is the best ever, but that's a totally different question. This thread is who is your favorite. In that regard I also have to add some other guys that I liked an awful lot too.

In no particular order, and realizing that "Old Time" is a relative thing, here goes.

Bill Elliot
Ricky Rudd
Kyle Petty
Ernie Irvan
Ward Burton
Dale Sr
Alan Kulwicki

I also really like Mark Martin and would have added him if I thought old time could include guys who are still out there mixing it up with the younger guys. I know Ward isn't all that old and Kyle didn't retire all that long ago, but I like those guys enough to sort of push the envelope a little bit.

The sport has become as big as it has over the years because of the 'colorful' personalities of the drivers. I myself was a rusty wallace fan as a kid. I was one of the many who despised earnhardt. While I did not like the way he drove on the track, I can certainly respect the things he did and the way he carried himself off the track.

Back
Top Bottom