who was most affected by sept 11th

S

smack500

Six Months After September 11th: Women, Young Adults, And African-Americans Most Affected By Tragedy
NEW YORK, NY -- (INTERNET WIRE) -- 04/02/2002 -- Six months after the attack on the World Trade Center, it is becoming increasingly clear that some groups have been disproportionately affected by the tragedy and are more likely to have changed their behaviors and attitudes as a result. Women, young adults, and African- Americans are among the groups most severely affected. Additionally, there are dramatic differences in the effects experienced by those living in different parts of the country. These findings are from the March wave of Changing American Lives, the McPheters & Company/Beta Research tracking study initiated in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks.

Among the major differences are:

- Women, young adults, and African-Americans are far more likely
to say that the events of September 11th have changed their
lives than other groups. Women are twice as likely as men,
younger adults are 50% more likely than their older
counterparts, and blacks are 44% more likely than whites to
make this assertion.
- These three groups are less optimistic about the future of our
country than others, and are more likely to say they are afraid
to fly.
- Women and African-Americans have become more suspicious of
strangers to a greater extent than other groups.
- Women and African-Americans are far more likely than others to
report that they are now more careful with their spending.
Whereas 55% of the population says they are more careful with
their spending, 76% of African-Americans and 65% of women say
that this is the case.
- Young adults and African Americans are the most likely to have
increased the time they spend at home and with family. In
light of this finding, it's not surprising that they are the
ones most likely to report increased cooking and home
entertaining, as well.
- Since October, the percent of Americans who think of themselves
as religious has increased from 50% to 71%. Women, African-
Americans are leading this trend.
- Women, young adults, and African-Americans have
disproportionately increased their reading of newspapers and
newsweeklies. The latter two groups have disproportionately
increased their reading of books as well. All three are more
likely than others to have decreased the time they spend at the
movies.

In the weeks immediately following the attacks, those living in the Northeast were more effected than those living in other parts of the country. In November, they were the most likely to say they would travel less, were more suspicious of strangers, favored tighter immigration restrictions, welcomed tighter security in public places, and were willing to tolerate loss of privacy to make this country safe. Now they are no more likely to espouse these points of view than those living in other parts of the country, and are less likely than those in the rest of the country to support tighter immigration, or to say that they are more suspicious of strangers or that they will travel less. Southerners are most likely to report increased suspicion of stranger, patriotism, concerns regarding mail, fear of flying and reduced travel.

Changing American Lives is a joint venture of McPheters & Company, Inc. and Beta Research. McPheters & Company is a Manhattan-based consulting firm providing strategic planning and market research to the media community. Beta Research is a full-service research company headquartered in Syosset, NY.

http://www1.internetwire.com/iwire/iwprj?i...id=40104&cat=bu

I would have thought older men would be affected just as much.

The article is obviously talking about the general american public. If it was going at it that way I would say the victims that lost there lifs were the ones most affected.

The ones who lost their lives aren't affected, they are at peace now. The ones affected most from what I know and the people I know are the emergency workers who have to retire because of the WTC cough. Also anyone who was in Manhatten that day. A friend of mine lost a brother in law who was a NYC firefighter, they never found his body. Same friends 12 year old niece needs counseling because she saw people fall to the ground outside her middle school.
Its a very sad thing.

This post will be out of character for me. I mean to offend no one.

This subject and the premise behind it offend me, and offend me to the core. This is not some game where scores are kept and participants ranked. There is no redeeming value in seeking to apply a most, a least, a deepest or a most long lasting status to the pain, suffering, hardship, or tragedy endured by any group or individual.

The tragic events of Septmeber 11, 2001 left a mark on an entire nation, perhaps an entire world. Those marks have borne by each individual in their own personal and human manner. I cannot suffer the dehumanizing effect of any attempt to measure the depth of this mark. We each bow out head, shout our defiance, and seek our comforts as individuals and as a group. We all lost something and we all share that loss.

Keep score somewhere else, it doesn't belong in this day.

Thank you Hardscrabble.

I was not able to bring myself to post on this thread until your response.

How can you measure pain?

Sorry for the post. It is a bad thread topic, I shouldn't have replied.

Well considering one of my co-workers had a sister at the WTC, and a brother at the Pentagon, I'ld say I got a right to be downright torked at the terrorist AND be be grateful as all get out that it wasn't my brother and sister instead of hers.

And yer right HS, this thread stinks.

I bit my tongue........thanks HS for saying what I felt but refrained.

sorry I ment to reply to this long ago but I was having technical deficulties at the time. I posted this to see how many would reply to this seriously. Im tired of all reports like this, I dont think seperating americans into groups will help anything. I am always seeing reports like this. I dont care what the topic is I think it servs no purpose. Also I am sorry if I ofended anyone with this thread.

Back
Top Bottom