Who will drive the #28 car???

H

HardScrabble

It's just like deja vu all over again.

Datelines July 8, 1997 to July 11, 1997

I hear Robert Yates called a meeting today and told the team that he was not signing Ernie Irvan for 1998.

``I didn't come to this conclusion overnight,'' Yates said in a statement. ``I've worried and wrestled with it for more than a year and it's not a simple, one-answer deal. Attempting to explain it would take longer than it took to make the decision itself. And, if you hadn't lived it, you still wouldn't understand,'' Yates said in describing his sometimes prickly relationship with Irvan.

Rumors of replacements in the #28 for Ernie Irvan include Kenny Irwin. Jr., Johnny Benson, Jr., Ward Burton, Sterling Marlin and Bobby Hamilton .

Rumors of where Ernie Irvan may go include a second Diamond Ridge team(#29), Dale Earnhardt's #14 Burger King car, and a return to the #4

Robert (a NASCAR Fan) reports that RPM tonight says that Kenny Irwin will be named as Ernie Irvan's replacement. It has been said that he will run about 5 races this year. No word on what car or team.

While the rumors being to swirl about possible replacements for Irvan, he has been approached by several teams (mostly Chevy) that are intrested in him. Rumors to replace him still include, Sterling Marling who has reportedly (Journal Now) been calling Yates at home. Terry Labonte who is winless so far this year. Rumored teams that Irvan could be involved with are the new Washington-Irving team, and Hendrick, Yes Rick. Officials for Hendrick reportedly told Irvan not to make a final decision without talking to them first .

Defending Winston Cup champion Terry Labonte said Thursday he has no plans to switch rides for the 1998 NASCAR season. "I have no idea how the rumor started," Labonte said Thursday. "I have not talked with Robert Yates or anyone with that team about next year. "I plan to drive for Hendrick Motorsports next season," Labonte said. "I have too good a situation to even consider making a change. I have the best team owner in racing, and I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing to the rumor."

Several sources indicated Thursday an announcement would be made in about two weeks, possibly during Brickyard 400 week in Indianapolis. Irwin, an Indianapolis native, said Thursday he has made no decision. "Nothing's been done," the 1988 Lawrence North graduate said when questioned about a Tuesday ESPN report about his move to Yates Racing. "Five or six (NASCAR) teams are talking to me," he said. "I personally haven't decided who I'm going with." However, a source said the contract with Yates had been sent to Irwin by Federal Express for his signature.

Back
Top Bottom