Who's Hot, Who's Not Frm SI

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hots and nots
J.J., Kahne are on fire; Edwards, Biffle are ice-cold
Posted: Monday April 17, 2006 1:23PM; Updated: Monday April 17, 2006

With seven races in the books, we can already see some trends shaping up for the Nextel Cup boys. Let's take a look at who's hot ... and who's not.

HOT -- Kasey Kahne. Kahne's on fire with two wins (in the last four races) from the pole in the Dodge Dealers Charger for Evernham Motorsports. The once- unloved Charger is coming on strong and, except for a blown engine in Martinsville, Kahne has not finished worse than 11th. That puts him in third place in the Chase for the Cup. Looks like the sophomore swoon is history.

NOT -- Carl Edwards. Last year's rookie of the year, who finished third in the points, is off to a slow start. The driver of the Home Depot Ford Fusion is 22nd in points and his average finish is 24th. His bosses at Roush Racing have reassigned some personnel to break the streak. Is this Edward's sophomore slump?

HOT -- Jimmie Johnson. Talk about a model of consistency? Johnson, who drives the Lowe's Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS for Hendrick Motorsports, has four finishes of third or better, including two wins. A flat tire early in the race in Bristol resulted in a 30th place result and briefly dropped him out of the points lead. With crew chief Chad Knaus calling the shots again, watch out. This could be J.J.'s championship year.

NOT -- Greg Biffle. One of the strongest drivers at this point a year ago, Biffle currently stands 23rd in the points. Has he run out of steam in the Roush Racing Ford? Not really. After all, he ran up front at the California Speedway, only to lose an engine in the closing stages. And he led about half the laps in Texas before a crash took him out. Oh, and he also a pole in Las Vegas. But he's finished 31st twice and 42nd twice, so no matter the reasons for his struggles, he has to get his season in gear now.

HOT-- Matt Kenseth. Kenseth took advantage of Biffle's misfortune to notch a win in California. And he ran strong in Daytona until an incident with Tony Stewart sent him flying. The driver of the DeWalt Power Tools Ford is a perfect example of how consistency pays off. He has four finishes of third or better, but a 24th place finish in Martinsville due to an accident is the difference between standing second instead of leading the points. He looks to be Roush and Ford's best shot at holding onto the Cup title.

NOT -- Jeff Gordon. Eighth in the points isn't too shabby ... unless you're Jeff Gordon. Name almost any other driver, and he'd be glad to be in Gordon's position, but you expect more from the four-time Cup champ, who just seems to be treading water right now. Last year, when Steve Letarte became his crew chief in New Hampshire, the team seemed rejuvenated. And yes, the team has been consistent but still hasn't made a definitive run for a win yet. On the other hand, Gordon can continue like he has and wait for the fall race in New Hampshire to make another trophy dash.

HOT and NOT -- Where to put Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr.? Hard to say. Although Stewart, the reigning Cup champ, had been making a lot of noise (behavior-wise) like the 2002 version, his car remains strong. His win at Martinsville showed that he could still be a closer. And remember that his run to the title last year didn't start until Infineon Racway in June. If not for an engine problem in California, he'd be higher than fifth in the points. As for Junior, after all the drama of 2005 involving his crew changes, his 2006 season has consisted of quietly lurking in the shadows. His Lazarus-like comeback in Martinsville after a late-race wreck is proof that Dale Jr.'s no quitter. The Dale Earnhardt Inc. team appears to be in a rebuilding year, but with two Talledega races coming up, they could make a quick push up the points list.

HOT, HOT AND OVERLOOKED -- Mark Martin. He should have been collecting Social Security this year; instead, he's fourth in the standings. With five top 10s, and no finish worse than 13th, this wily veteran seems ready to pick up the pieces if anybody ahead of him has a streak of bad luck. Besides he's a sentimental favorite. Wouldn't it be great to have a 47-year-old champ?

This is one of the reasons I don't read SI when it comes to racing. Those boys just don't pay attention to this sport, even if they are paid to report on it. Whoever wrote this story has Carl Edwards in a Ford okay, but they have him sponsored by Home Depot. I would imagine that Tony Stewart and GM might have a little something to say about that.

I can't lay all the blame on this SNAFU with the reporter. The editors are just as in the dark when it comes to NASCAR. :rolleyes:

buckaroo said:
This is one of the reasons I don't read SI when it comes to racing. Those boys just don't pay attention to this sport, even if they are paid to report on it. Whoever wrote this story has Carl Edwards in a Ford okay, but they have him sponsored by Home Depot. I would imagine that Tony Stewart and GM might have a little something to say about that.

I can't lay all the blame on this SNAFU with the reporter. The editors are just as in the dark when it comes to NASCAR. :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. They're a "ballgame" type magazine, they know nothing about the largest growing outdoor sport in America. (Hopefully they never will).
The only thing interesting that has SI on the cover is the swimsuit issue.

although scotts is on edward's car, i dont think home depot is anywhere on his car. Somebody needs to blast that writer's ears and eyes off.

I think they're confused with Office Depot and Rousch isn't holding on to the cup title considering Stewart is the champ.

Back
Top Bottom