Why?

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Dale Jarrett was interviewed today by Scott Van Pelt on ESPN Radio. Scott asked Dale why isn't Jimmie Johnson more popular than it appears he is? Dale said that he didn't know and had talked to Jimmie about this. Dale didn't give an answer and Scott admitted that he doesn't know that much about NASCAR (Scott is a pure stick and ball sports fan) but knew of this dilemma.

So I ask y'all, what is your thoughts on why Jimmie just doesn't have it when compared with other multi-title holders.

As for myself, all I can offer is that it goes back to before he was champ. I started disliking him when he began to act like a prima donna out there, tellling interviewers afterwards that others should move over and let him pass when he wanted to pass. Also, though he can show some genuine emotion on his radio, he tends to be way too cool on camera.

Dale Jarrett was interviewed today by Scott Van Pelt on ESPN Radio. Scott asked Dale why isn't Jimmie Johnson more popular than it appears he is? Dale said that he didn't know and had talked to Jimmie about this. Dale didn't give an answer and Scott admitted that he doesn't know that much about NASCAR (Scott is a pure stick and ball sports fan) but knew of this dilemma.

So I ask y'all, what is your thoughts on why Jimmie just doesn't have it when compared with other multi-title holders.

As for myself, all I can offer is that it goes back to before he was champ. I started disliking him when he began to act like a prima donna out there, tellling interviewers afterwards that others should move over and let him pass when he wanted to pass. Also, though he can show some genuine emotion on his radio, he tends to be way too cool on camera.

Personality of a gnat. NASCAR is personality driver these days, and Jimmy is as boring as they come in that department. He's not enough of an a-hole to hate, and he's too vanilla to get behind.

JJ just has no personality at ALL. He's this kind of person who thinks everything should be about him and that all others should wait till he's done talking before they speak.

I don't like his driving style. He has literally run over everyone to where he is. Plus, he has a master cheater of a crew chief in Knaus. I have no respect for either.

It's not that JJ doesn't have a personality. He does.

IMO it's because
1) NASCAR hasn't been much fun to watch lately and he takes the blame because the successful guy is an easy target.
2) JJ doesn't say what he really thinks when he is interviewed and as a result comes off as a corporate shill.

I think it's for a lot of the previously stated reasons. He's too vanilla, he doesn't have the greatest personality, he's not humble, he doesn't accept blame when he's at fault, etc. But I think it's one more thing; he's consistently in the top 5 or in Victory Lane, for that matter.
People used to boo Jeff Gordon when he was winning all the time. The fans don't like it when someone dominates their favorite driver. The fans are tired of the Jimmie Johnson show.
Jimmie is a very good racecar driver. Is he great? I don't think so. I think he's just in the perfect situation. Just like Gordon was when he was with Evernham. Jimmie and Chad have great communication when it comes to getting the racecar right. Chad, to me, is about as exciting as Jimmie, maybe that's why they click.

Well I do think it has to do with personality. I mean...in other sports people jump on bandwagons of the winning teams...but not nascar. They go with a driver who shows emotion. With me...other then Gordon, I enjoy the underdogs most.

he honestly just annoys me

I think it's for a lot of the previously stated reasons. He's too vanilla, he doesn't have the greatest personality, he's not humble, he doesn't accept blame when he's at fault, etc. But I think it's one more thing; he's consistently in the top 5 or in Victory Lane, for that matter.
People used to boo Jeff Gordon when he was winning all the time. The fans don't like it when someone dominates their favorite driver. The fans are tired of the Jimmie Johnson show.
Jimmie is a very good racecar driver. Is he great? I don't think so. I think he's just in the perfect situation. Just like Gordon was when he was with Evernham. Jimmie and Chad have great communication when it comes to getting the racecar right. Chad, to me, is about as exciting as Jimmie, maybe that's why they click.

True, people used to boo Gordon when he was winning all the time, but at least there was noise. With Johnson, people just don't seem to care. They'n not booing him, they're just, well, bored.

Dale Earnhardt said "I don't care if they boo or cheer as long as they make noise, it's when they are quiet that I worry"

Now that might not have been his exact words but that's what he said.

With JJ, everyone is quiet.

With JJ, everyone is quiet.

Might seem that way to a non-Johnson fan.

The real reason JJ isn't getting the respect he deserves is because he wins all the time. You can dress it up any way you like, but that's the un-deniable truth. Even when he doesn't win, he's such a talented driver with a good car that he still somehow manages to extend his point lead.

Lots of people hated Gordon for the same reason, and still do even though he's not winning as much lately. People don't like it when sports teams that aren't who they're fans of win a lot. Because it makes them feel like they're cheering for a loser, and thus makes them feel bad about themselves.

Other sports teams like the Yankees and the Patriots are hated for the same reasons Johnson is. America is a nation that loves an underdog, and hates anyone that has frequent success. Even if it's earned.

Might seem that way to a non-Johnson fan.

The real reason JJ isn't getting the respect he deserves is because he wins all the time. You can dress it up any way you like, but that's the un-deniable truth. Even when he doesn't win, he's such a talented driver with a good car that he still somehow manages to extend his point lead.

Lots of people hated Gordon for the same reason, and still do even though he's not winning as much lately. People don't like it when sports teams that aren't who they're fans of win a lot. Because it makes them feel like they're cheering for a loser, and thus makes them feel bad about themselves.

Other sports teams like the Yankees and the Patriots are hated for the same reasons Johnson is. America is a nation that loves an underdog, and hates anyone that has frequent success. Even if it's earned.

When Jeffy was winning all the time there were plenty of loyal fans and there still are, with Jimmy it is different. He thinks his **** doesn't stink and is above everyone else. he has toned down a little in that department, but I still think he feels he is above most of the rest. JMHO

When Jeffy was winning all the time there were plenty of loyal fans and there still are, with Jimmy it is different. He thinks his **** doesn't stink and is above everyone else. he has toned down a little in that department, but I still think he feels he is above most of the rest. JMHO

And you know this how? Have you sat down with him and had a conversation or is this just you projecting on him the negative emotions of others?
And for everyone, lots of drivers don't show emotion in victory lane. Do you hate them as well? They run down their corporate shill litany. Yet they're your driver so you forgive them for that.
It comes down to Jimmie is kicking all the other's drivers butts so you come up with names like monobrow to make an excuse of why your driver isn't getting it done.
Other drivers have the move out of my way mentality, like Hamlin. Yet I don't see where he is being castigated for this.

Me, I've seen emotion from Jimmie. I haven't seen the "Me" attitude a lot of you want to assign to him.
Bunch of 48haters is all it is.

And you know this how? Have you sat down with him and had a conversation or is this just you projecting on him the negative emotions of others?
And for everyone, lots of drivers don't show emotion in victory lane. Do you hate them as well? They run down their corporate shill litany. Yet they're your driver so you forgive them for that.
It comes down to Jimmie is kicking all the other's drivers butts so you come up with names like monobrow to make an excuse of why your driver isn't getting it done.
Other drivers have the move out of my way mentality, like Hamlin. Yet I don't see where he is being castigated for this.

Me, I've seen emotion from Jimmie. I haven't seen the "Me" attitude a lot of you want to assign to him.
Bunch of 48haters is all it is.

JMO Bp don't get riled up. I see other drivers being the same way, I could care less if Jimmie wins again, i would care if i liked him though. He is a good driver, has a great crew chief, and without Chad i think he might have 1 championship at the most!

Johnson doesn't say enough to get people riled up or behind him and people are tired of seeing him win all the time. That's why he's no more popular than he is.

What everyone else said, he has no personality. Some drivers have a really positive attitude (Carl Edwards, Kenny Wallace, Mark Martin) and it's easy to root for those drivers. Some have negative attitudes (Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski) and people either love the guy or love to hate the guy.

With Jimmie, he has the personality of a potato. He's almost robotic. Personally, I'd like to see Jimmie say something to piss people off every once in a while. I don't like him, but I'll admit I got a chuckle when he won the 2006 Daytona 500 and said "This is for all the 48 haters" -- I'd like to see a lot more of that from JJ.

I don't "hate" him ---

To be perfectly honest, he just doesn't register one way or the other with me. Kind of like bland vanilla pudding ---

TRL, you really seem to be with the majority.

bp, just because someone doesn't care for a driver doesn't mean they hate him.

I'm glad this thread has generated the response it has. As a result, it appears that the majority of our forum members have a negative opinion of Jimmie. They have said why and that is good enough for me.

Mopar... quote: "I could care less if Jimmie wins again, i would care if i liked him though." Isn't that dichotomy? I mean, you "could" care if he wins, yet you "would" care if you liked him? Quite sitting on the fence and make a decision. :)

I liked Jimmy back in the day when he stuffed his car into a tire wall at some raod course, I forget which one, and got out jumped on his car and waved at the crowd. Since then........... just blah.

I think VaDirt got it right: "He's not enough of an a-hole to hate, and he's too vanilla to get behind.
"

He's probably the perfect champion for this time in NA__AR.

I'm sure you all can figure out that I like Jimmie. Yes, his name is spelled with an IE and not a Y at the end. I don't agree with everyone who has posted in this thread, but it is your opinions and I respect them. There are more and more people each time I come to TMS that are wearing his stuff and the lines at his souvenier trailers are the longest with the exception of Jrs.

Edit to add: will post more when I get back home

Peace out.

I too am a JJ fan and while I don't agree with many of things posted I'm not going to argue, I'm hoping this new HBO special will show a different Jimmie and change some of your opinions.
I've been going to Dover for the past few years and have noted an increase in the JJ gear and he was at the monster last race for a presentation and it was packed with his fans.

OK, I am going to get up on my soap box...

JJ has won the cup since NASCAR changed the points and went to the chase. Gordon got screwed out of dang near 300 points a few years ago and would have won the cup. Stewart got screwed out of 250 points this year.

NASCAR created the chase to bring television viewers to the tube at the end of the season and that decision has backfired big time because JJ and Knaus love the ten tracks in the chase.

The brick may well go through the TV this weekend. :bleh:

Several people have already said my opinion..he wins! Everyone seems to hate the winner, no matter what the sport is. I for one like Jimmie and respect his talent. The team that he and Chad have created is a dynasty right before our eyes!

I would like to comment though on some of the posters saying that Jimmie gets no emotion from the fans. I beg to differ. As many know I was at Martinsville a couple weeks ago, and he got booed very badly. Heck every race I have been to (3 at M'Ville, 1 at Bristol) he was booed badly. I actually got to watch a pre-race interview at the toyota display this past time with Kyle Busch. A fan yelled out and said "Hey Kyle, wreck that 48 today!" Kyle replied, "well, the problem with that is I can't catch him!" So to make the over all statement that he gets no fan reaction is simply not true.

OK, I am going to get up on my soap box...

JJ has won the cup since NASCAR changed the points and went to the chase. Gordon got screwed out of dang near 300 points a few years ago and would have won the cup. Stewart got screwed out of 250 points this year.

NASCAR created the chase to bring television viewers to the tube at the end of the season and that decision has backfired big time because JJ and Knaus love the ten tracks in the chase.

The brick may well go through the TV this weekend. :bleh:

Just got a free TV from Craiglist for the sole purpose of tossing some heavy mason type thing through it, just to see what kind of response I get from the people in the room who think their guy is the best thing to come along since Prozac.
The Chase format could use some tweaking for sure.Add a road course,add another short track,add 1 more race even.
If the Patriots lose,I'll be looking for 2 TV sets on Monday:beerbang:

I liked Jimmy back in the day when he stuffed his car into a tire wall at some raod course, I forget which one, and got out jumped on his car and waved at the crowd. Since then........... just blah.
That was when he was driving in the Busch series and I too thought differently about him. That crash into the tires looked bad and when he crawled out and jumped on the roof of his car, I was floored. Actually, it was this act that made me think positive of him. Sort of like the time when Mark Martin was driving the Stroh's Ford at Riverside and he rolled the car on it's side. He got out and ran back to the pits looking to get help in getting the car back on it's feet so he could continue.

TRL, you really seem to be with the majority.

bp, just because someone doesn't care for a driver doesn't mean they hate him.

I'm glad this thread has generated the response it has. As a result, it appears that the majority of our forum members have a negative opinion of Jimmie. They have said why and that is good enough for me.

Mopar... quote: "I could care less if Jimmie wins again, i would care if i liked him though." Isn't that dichotomy? I mean, you "could" care if he wins, yet you "would" care if you liked him? Quite sitting on the fence and make a decision. :)

How is that sitting on a fence? If he was a driver I liked I'd care if he won. I don't really like him so when he wins I could give a Bleep! Maybe it is because this stupid Chase thing has been wrapped up again, I really don't pay much attention to Johnson , I look at what my favorite drivers are doing. Just another reason why I think the Chase needs to be eliminated.

How is that sitting on a fence? If he was a driver I liked I'd care if he won. I don't really like him so when he wins I could give a Bleep! Maybe it is because this stupid Chase thing has been wrapped up again, I really don't pay much attention to Johnson , I look at what my favorite drivers are doing. Just another reason why I think the Chase needs to be eliminated.
I tweaked you because of your use of the phrase "I could care less if Jimmie wins". Step back and re-read that. I know, what you really meant was that you "couldn't care less". Its one of my pet peeves just like using the word axe when meaning the word ask.

So, if you could care less, it must mean that you haven't quite decided. :D

I tweaked you because of your use of the phrase "I could care less if Jimmie wins". Step back and re-read that. I know, what you really meant was that you "couldn't care less". Its one of my pet peeves just like using the word axe when meaning the word ask.

So, if you could care less, it must mean that you haven't quite decided. :D

Yehe yeh you got me!:D

Anyone who thinks JJ is vanilla missed this quote from him post-race:

Vanilla Johnson said:
We had a great car until Sam got into us. I wish he could have waited until later in the race to do that like he usually does. He does that a lot.

oh_snap.jpg

Back
Top Bottom