Will anybody win more than 3 titles again?

4xchampncountin

As we know Richard Petty won 7 titles, Dale Earnhardt Sr won 7 titles, and Jeff Gordon has won 4 so far.

Obviously parity has hit our sport with both barrels blazing. It seems hard for me to believe that anyone would reach that level of dominance again. When King Richard won his, he was undoubtable the most dominant force in the sport for years and years. When Dale won, you could say the same thing. Jeff Gordon's talent, equipment, pit-crew, combination was quite superior to what anyone else had from 95-98. Several factors contributed to that team taking steps backwards and other teams taking leaps forward. The 24 team pulled it all together for a fourth championship in 2001, but they were certainly not nearly close to as dominant as they were in 98 for example. While I feel Jeff still has a shot at 3 or even 4 more titles, that shot seems less and less likely every year.

While there is a lot of talented drivers out there now, I just don't see any of them becoming that much better than the competition that is out there now.

What do you all think?

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 25 2004, 12:51 PM
As we know Richard Petty won 7 titles, Dale Earnhardt Sr won 7 titles, and Jeff Gordon has won 4 so far.

Earnhardt has 6 1/2. :p

I think so. I think Kenseth, Stewart and a couple of other guys can do it.

I don't think so. Number one, there is a bunch of extremely talented drivers in good equipment, and number two, I think that if anyone appeared to be that dominant, there'd be some rules changes to make sure that parity would be maintained!

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 25 2004, 11:58 AM
Earnhardt has 6 1/2. :p
:lol: Which one would you be refering too? The year in which Ernie Irvan had lead the points most of the season & was only a few points behind him heading into the August Michigan race and had that terrible accident? Or the one that Nascar stole from Roush & Mark Martin with the penalty for an 'unapproved' (not illegal) manifold spacer?

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Mar 25 2004, 12:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 12:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--EatMorePossum@Mar 25 2004, 11:58 AM
Earnhardt has 6 1/2.&nbsp; :p
:lol: Which one would you be refering too? The year in which Ernie Irvan had lead the points most of the season & was only a few points behind him heading into the August Michigan race and had that terrible accident? Or the one that Nascar stole from Roush & Mark Martin with the penalty for an 'unapproved' (not illegal) manifold spacer? [/b][/quote]
I would think you guys would be happy since NASCAR gave mid pack Matt a title last year.

Originally posted by Flametamer+Mar 25 2004, 12:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flametamer @ Mar 25 2004, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Mar 25 2004, 12:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--EatMorePossum
@Mar 25 2004, 11:58 AM
Earnhardt has 6 1/2.   :p

:lol: Which one would you be refering too? The year in which Ernie Irvan had lead the points most of the season & was only a few points behind him heading into the August Michigan race and had that terrible accident? Or the one that Nascar stole from Roush & Mark Martin with the penalty for an 'unapproved' (not illegal) manifold spacer?
I would think you guys would be happy since NASCAR gave mid pack Matt a title last year. [/b][/quote]
Gave? :cuckoo:

Crying tears in your Budweiser again, huh? I expected Nascar to hand it to Jr. too...but they didn't!

No one in the next decade or so is likely to win more than three----and I have a strong feeling Jeff has won his last as well.

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 25 2004, 02:12 PM
No one in the next decade or so is likely to win more than three----and I have a strong feeling Jeff has won his last as well.
Agreed.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Mar 25 2004, 01:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Mar 25 2004, 02:12 PM
Agreed. [/b][/quote]
I think jeff can win some more, not saying i want it to happan but i think it will

I have to agree with Lappy on this one, but it sure won't be easy with the new kids on the block.

oh jeez come on' I give jeff one more and that's about it, no one will ever reach the legend and the king, not even JR.

I'm pretty sure Jeff has at least one more title in him, maybe more.

But, I don't really claim to be objective where he is concerned. ;)

i think gordo might win one more to get to 5
tony should get to 3, maybe 5 if got on a real hot streak
Jr should win about 3.
everyone else will probably only have one or two. Kenseth or Newman should challange for more

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Mar 25 2004, 12:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Flametamer@Mar 25 2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Mar 25 2004, 12:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--EatMorePossum
@Mar 25 2004, 11:58 AM
Earnhardt has 6 1/2.   :p

I would think you guys would be happy since NASCAR gave mid pack Matt a title last year.
Gave? :cuckoo:

Crying tears in your Budweiser again, huh? I expected Nascar to hand it to Jr. too...but they didn't! [/b][/quote]
Don't cry or drink Budwieser. Call it like I see it.

I don't any drivers even getting more than 2 Titles,let alone 3 Titles.
I'm also biased,but I do believe that Jeff Gordon is yet capable of finishing with 8 Titles ;) :D He does have more experience in winning Championships than any other current driver out there ;)

Originally posted by 24thunder@Mar 25 2004, 08:03 PM
I'm also biased,but I do believe that Jeff Gordon is yet capable of finishing with 8 Titles ;) :D He does have more experience in winning Championships than any other current driver out there ;)
At least you got the biased part right! :p :lol:

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Mar 25 2004, 09:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 09:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--24thunder@Mar 25 2004, 08:03 PM
I'm also biased,but I do believe that Jeff Gordon is yet capable of finishing with 8 Titles ;)&nbsp; :D He does have more experience in winning Championships than any other current driver out there ;)
At least you got the biased part right! :p :lol: [/b][/quote]
I'm a Jeff Gordon fan,can U tell? :lol: :lol: If He got 10 Titles I'd be surprised :D :lol:

Originally posted by 24thunder+Mar 25 2004, 08:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (24thunder @ Mar 25 2004, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -RobbyG Fan@Mar 25 2004, 09:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--24thunder
@Mar 25 2004, 08:03 PM
I'm also biased,but I do believe that Jeff Gordon is yet capable of finishing with 8 Titles ;)  :D He does have more experience in winning Championships than any other current driver out there ;)

I'm a Jeff Gordon fan,can U tell? :lol: :lol: If He got 10 Titles I'd be surprised :D :lol: [/b][/quote]
You would be surprised? You're not speaking like a true Jeff Gordon fan now... you got to say that Jeff Gordon will win at least 10 championships. :lol: Will is the key word. :D

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Mar 25 2004, 09:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -24thunder@Mar 25 2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by -RobbyG Fan@Mar 25 2004, 09:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--24thunder
@Mar 25 2004, 08:03 PM
I'm also biased,but I do believe that Jeff Gordon is yet capable of finishing with 8 Titles ;)  :D He does have more experience in winning Championships than any other current driver out there ;)

I'm a Jeff Gordon fan,can U tell? :lol: :lol: If He got 10 Titles I'd be surprised :D :lol:
You would be surprised? You're not speaking like a true Jeff Gordon fan now... you got to say that Jeff Gordon will win at least 10 championships. :lol: Will is the key word. :D [/b][/quote]
will,see U later after 4 more Cups are in hand :lol: :D j/k ;) :D

And say it with absolute authority or they will kick you out of the Brotherhood! It's easy, look: JEFF WILL WIN TEN MORE, ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT DOUBT,NO QUESTION*!! :p :XXROFL:

(*Never appear hesitant, that's the key. :lol:)

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 25 2004, 09:42 PM
And say it with absolute authority or they will kick you out of the Brotherhood! It's easy, look: JEFF WILL WIN TEN MORE, ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT DOUBT,NO QUESTION*!! :p :XXROFL:

(*Never appear hesitant, that's the key. :lol:)
Sounds good to Me 97 :D :lol:

Jeff might get 8, I would love to see it. But the chances are very, very slim for sure.

Come on 97 don't you have faith in your main men---Kurt and Greg?? Don't they stand a chance of winning several championships :)

Uh---yes. <_<

Kurt is easily as good a wheel man as Jeff has ever been(!). If luck and the racing god's smile on him, I could see Kurt winning several titles.

Greg is as good as Kurt but older and with less attention from Roush and co. A title is not out of the question, though. Doug Richert pulled it off once before with a sophomore driver, after all........ ;)

(Sorry if I jumped topic, guys----SHADY and KAT made me do it!! :p)

I will always be a fan of jeffs but I dont think he will ever win another championship with robby loomis as crew cheif.

Originally posted by smack500@Mar 26 2004, 01:10 AM
I will always be a fan of jeffs but I dont think he will ever win another championship with robby loomis as crew cheif.
I kinda agree Smack....Robby Loomis is a detriment. HOWEVER.....who yould YOU put in his place?

i think someone might come along and win 4 or so but not seven, its harder and harder to have some creative engineering, which richard and dale did, even jeff, i think jeff could win 7 especially with the new points system, but wont be easy, its just how sports go, someone always comes in every now and then and changes the sport, tiger woods, wayne gretzky etc. i think newman has the best chance at winning 4+, the kid is so damn smart.

Back
Top Bottom