Will Larson top Gordon's 1998 season?

I don't think this is fair. Larson was still racing. I hear your point, context is important, and it is...if we are looking at two seasons that are statistically similar.

These two are not. 98 Gordon is still a much superior season. If Larson does this again, or has another 10+ win season, then we will talk.

But right now, there's no comparison.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am not surprised.

Some folks are just never going to give credit to Larson where credit is due. Haters gonna hate I guess.
Who in this thread is hating? Not a single person.

I'm a Larson fan. He's my driver.

If in your world, saying that Larson's dominant 2021 season doesn't stack up to the GOAT single season is being a hater, then I can't imagine what actual hate looks like there.

You're looking for disdain that quite literally doesn't exist.

Kyle Larson has a chance to accomplish two feats this weekend that hasn’t been done since Jimmie Johnson in 2007. Win 4 in a row and win 10 races in a season.​

Kyle Larson has a chance to accomplish two feats this weekend that hasn’t been done since Jimmie Johnson in 2007. Win 4 in a row and win 10 races in a season.​

In the same race too.

Johnson got 4 in a row in race 32, 33, 34 and 35.

Larson would do the same if he does it. I sure hope he doesn't. That would make him have to win 5 in a row to win the title, which doesn't seem likely lol

In the same race too.

Larson would do the same if he does it. I sure hope he doesn't. That would make him have to win 5 in a row to win the title, which doesn't seem likely lol

He does not have to win the final race, he just has to finish ahead of the other three.

In the same race too.

I think about things like that too. :laugh: But if anybody could do it...

In my opinion he’s already topped Gordon because of his situation. It’s one of the most incredible I’ve seen in sports.

Guy was an up and coming star who gets kicked out of the sport for a racist moment. Comes back and proceeds to have one of the most dominant seasons in history after a year of not racing? Holy smokes

Reactions: sdj
In my opinion he’s already topped Gordon because of his situation. It’s one of the most incredible I’ve seen in sports.

Guy was an up and coming star who gets kicked out of the sport for a racist moment. Comes back and proceeds to have one of the most dominant seasons in history after a year of not racing? Holy smokes
I don’t get it. He doesn’t have the stats to beat or even really touch Gordon with an 9 and half foot pole, but he’s topped Jeff because of overcoming self imposed social backlash? The same redemption story that Jeff Gordon is personally involved in? Jeff is out here paying Larson the same kind of favors he received from his boss after his divorce via his marital affair. Weird.

Also, a year of not racing is wildly incorrect. Larson was winning in basically everything he sat in during his absence from NASCAR. He didn’t miss a beat.

I don’t get it. He doesn’t have the stats to beat or even really touch Gordon with an 9 and half foot pole, but he’s topped Jeff because of overcoming self imposed social backlash? The same redemption story that Jeff Gordon is personally involved in? Jeff is out here paying Larson the same kind of favors he received from his boss after his divorce via his marital affair. Weird.

Also, a year of not racing is wildly incorrect. Larson was winning in basically everything he sat in during his absence from NASCAR. He didn’t miss a beat.

I don’t get what you don’t get. He hadn’t drove a stock car in a year and faced national humility, hops back in and wins 9 races. That’s absolutely wild

I don’t get what you don’t get. He hadn’t drove a stock car in a year and faced national humility, hops back in and wins 9 races. That’s absolutely wild
That is wild, but he doesn’t have the stats to beat or even tie Gordon’s 1998 season and he was given 3 more races to put up stats. But he’s topped him?

That is wild, but he doesn’t have the stats to beat or even tie Gordon’s 1998 season and he was given 3 more races to put up stats. But he’s topped him?
I find it incredible with the extra adversity he faced and the rust he had to shake off

I find it incredible with the extra adversity he faced and the rust he had to shake off
Yes. In a way, it may be more impressive. But there wasn't any context to 98 Gordon, other than that it was just a great season in the middle of his career.

I believe the point of this thread is if Larson's season, statistically will topple Gordon's. It's not context that makes 98 Gordon the GOAT season. It's the 13 wins, 26 top 5s and 28 top 10s in 33 races.

The best Larson could do here is 11/21/27 in 36 races. While stupid impressive, that isn't 13/26/28 in 3 less races.

That said, if Larson seals the deal here, I think its a top 5 modern era season. Right there with 87 Dale, 07 JJ, and 85(?) DW.

Yes. In a way, it may be more impressive. But there wasn't any context to 98 Gordon, other than that it was just a great season in the middle of his career.

I believe the point of this thread is if Larson's season, statistically will topple Gordon's. It's not context that makes 98 Gordon the GOAT season. It's the 13 wins, 26 top 5s and 28 top 10s in 33 races.

The best Larson could do here is 11/21/27 in 36 races. While stupid impressive, that isn't 13/26/28 in 3 less races.

That said, if Larson seals the deal here, I think its a top 5 modern era season. Right there with 87 Dale, 07 JJ, and 85(?) DW.

DWs 1985 is nowhere close.

But if it is all number crunching Darrel Waltrip's 1982 40% win percentage beats Jeff Gordon's 1998 39.39% winning percentage.
He is also within a decimal point of equalling Gordon's 1998 winning percentage for 1981 and 1982 combined at 39.34 %.
It is all subjective but if I was handing out GOAT awards for a single season I would go with DW.

Better said is that it is almost impossibile to put all of the seasons in context and in the end people will believe what they prefer to believe.
I just don't think you can emphatically claim DW, Gordon, or Larson had the GOAT season

DWs 1985 is nowhere close.

But if it is all number crunching Darrel Waltrip's 1982 40% win percentage beats Jeff Gordon's 1998 39.39% winning percentage.
He is also within a decimal point of equalling Gordon's 1998 winning percentage for 1981 and 1982 combined at 39.34 %.
It is all subjective but if I was handing out GOAT awards for a single season I would go with DW.

Better said is that it is almost impossibile to put all of the seasons in context and in the end people will believe what they prefer to believe.
I just don't think you can emphatically claim DW, Gordon, or Larson had the GOAT season
There is a reason I put (?) Next to 85. It was one of his back to back titles. May have been 82.

There is a reason I put (?) Next to 85. It was one of his back to back titles. May have been 82.

DW won the title in 1985 but Bill Elliott dominated for most of the season, he even won the Winston Million. But Elliott had some rough late season races and DW just outpointed him with consistency down the stretch.

DWs most dominant seasons were in the Mountain Dew car in 1981 and 1982.

Back
Top Bottom