Will NASCAR ever be consider a Sport By The Media?

No question avaiable to import.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

RustyFan4Ever

I've been watching espn's shows around the horn & pti and everytime they talk about nascar which is very little they bash it saying that racing is not a sport,the drivers are not atletes. So i was just wondering is why the media hates racing so much and will they accept this as a true sport?

Espn knows that Nascar gets better rateing than Super Boll or the NBA play offs and they cant stand it.

E$PN is still bitter that NASCAR left for greener (aka money) pastures.
but if they still had NASCAR, E$PN would be talking about like it's the greatest sport ever made.

I don't really care if they do or not to be honest with you. The more new fans we get, the more Junior fans we get. Do we really need any more of those? :eek: :p

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 5 2003, 10:32 PM
I don't really care if they do or not to be honest with you. The more new fans we get, the more Junior fans we get. Do we really need any more of those? :eek: :p
Of course we do...

Most sports writers such as thoughs on PTI and Around the Horn no or care about Nascar, except for Tim Cowlishaw. He's the only one of those sports writers that knows anything a bout Nascar, let alone any form of Motorsports. Nascar will continue to be a Secondary sport as long as main stream sports writers such as Tony Kornhieser dont accept it.

Seriously (the Junior dig aside) I really don't care if NASCAR is ever accepted as a major sport. I don't make any extra money off of new fans, do you? It's kind of like when I hear about how much money each movies made last week. How does this information help me? What do I care if these Hollywood moguls make an extra couple million bucks this weekend. As long as NASCAR doesn't go under, I'm very happy with the amount of fans we have.

I don't really care if they do or not to be honest with you. The more new fans we get, the more Junior fans we get. Do we really need any more of those?

or jeffy fans! bong!:D

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 5 2003, 09:03 PM
  As long as NASCAR doesn't go under, I'm very happy with the amount of fans we have.
I agree...it was a lot easier getting in & out of the tracks 8-10 years ago. :D

NASCAR is just experiencing growing pains. Along the way there come guys like Woody Paige or J.A Adande who criticize it and basically make asshats of themselves, I've even heard one sports writer say on Around the Horn that NASCAR wont get any further in terms of popularity. Well, I guess that sports writer is eating his/her own words because NASCAR has just surpassed Baseball in popularity and is now America's favorite passtime and everywhere you go you cant swing a dead cat without hitting an Earnhardt Jr. or Gordon fan.

I think race is the issue. The sports writers always want diversity and because NASCARs particularly new in the crowd in terms of hitting the jackpot in popularity, the sports writers are always willing to jump on every little thing that happens in there. Well, the sports writers are just angry because they'll never see another conservative, christian, all-american, good-old boy sport like NASCAR, and those descriptions are the motivating drive behind NASCAR's newly found popularity that and Dale Jr :). At least we dont see any drug-dealers, gang-bangers or murderers in NASCAR, thats something we can be proud of and something Pro Basketball cant be because they hardly have any players who arent any of those.

Consider that no type of motor racing has ever been considered a "sport" by the media. It gets attention now because NASCAR is big business. The early drivers werre daredevils and not athletes. Sports like game fishing gathered more media attention than Motor sports. Auto racing was not considered a "gentlemens sport" until recent years and the stigma was hard to overcome until big money business became involved. It is hard to consider the captains of industry "daredevils" or 'ungentlemanly" since they greased the wheels of the financial world.

In the formative of the Indy 500, open wheel racing got zero press coverage until Gasoline Alley opened in May, preparing for the "500" and until the checkered flag waved. News of motorsports beyond that was ignored. NASCAR was pretty much a non-entity until the famous fisticuff battle between Yarborough and Allison televised fight and later Burt Reynolds and Hal Needam gussied up showboat transporter and crew.

Another point is stick and ball sports have hometowns to cheer them on whereas NASCAR has drivers and venues from varying locales. This adds to the popularity and recognition of the major teams.

As to determine whether a motor sport competitor is really an athlete or not, it might be interesting if a sport writer were to compare a motocross rider to a hockey or football player and they will find motocross is more demanding.
It requires skills beyond standing above two wheels. Total concentration and full physical effort are required for the entire length of the race, whereas hockey players do get breaks and are not in play for the entire time the game is played. Place a pro-football player in a Winston Cup car for 3 and one-half hours with temperatures in excess of 120 degrees and no break other than 14 seconds on pit road and there should be no further discussion as what is considered an athlete. I wonder how many pro football players could endure that mental and physical stress ten months of the year and be on call for practice the other two months.

There are a multitude of reasons motor sports should be given greater recognition than they are, but, who really cares?? Is it really important what some writer who has a passing interest or limited knowledge has published? Many don't know and if they do, still write only what gets the attention of the general public, the largest percentage rumor and or discussion of arguments between the major players.

Back
Top Bottom