Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• undecided

• Total voters
B

bowtie

Not bashing, just an honest question. With the release of John Andretti it looks as if PE has taken a nose dive.

i say no....see no reason to believe other wise....if they weren't named petty, would have closed up long ago because of their performance, but the name is still marketable and they have many loyal fans....

I said no. Of at least in the next 3 to 5 years. PE needs to make some major changes. And their not willing to do that.

I voted undecided. I said that because of one thing: the Petty teams ran a lot better last year - Kyle in particular - when Robin Pemberton was managing day-to-day operations. I think that was good for the team, becuase it allowed Kyle to concentrate more on driving and setting up the cars and less on the financial and management aspects of the business. If the Petty's are willing to bring back the "team manager" role, with Robin or some other name employee, I think Petty Enterprises will startt getting better again. If not, I can only see them continuing downhill.

P.S. It might not hurt to lease engine from elsewhere for a couple months, too, so Mike Ege can get his act together.

They better do something real soon, at what point does a sponser say, well I think we'll talk to someone else....

I voted NO. With the amount of teams that are good that are going to be looking for sponsors I just can't see GP or GM not looking at changing their sponsorship. You can only run on your name for so long and especially this year the PE teams should be wearing blank uniforms and masks, because they are an embarassment. I don't really think that they are going to make the changes to get back up and it is really sad to see, since I have always liked the 43.

I just feel for Richard Petty right about now, the name he marked on the sport is getting less and less meaning.

I said no, I think hooty3 hit it right on, the name Petty is all that keeps them running.

Of course I said yes!
I am one of those loyal Petty fans.
WHen Richard was on QVC he mentioned that they know that too much is on Kyle and that they are lookign for someone to take over the day to day stuff, btu richard does not want to do it( which i think would be bad anyways, he is too old fashion)

From the way things look GP and GM will be back next year with new contracts. GP a few weeks ago put out a polll for the new paint job on the 45 GP car in the gp.com newsletter. In the Petty Museum they have the 2004 GM Dodge. So it sure does look liek both GM and GP will be back. Think the Petty name even if they are horrible on track is a great way to sell there products. Think of when GM was with Johnny, there was not alot of promotion with the car. Yes, there was some but when the Pettys came along just about everytime you go down the cereal aile you see the 43 car or richards face. I noticed on our Cheerios box today that it says pround sponsor of Petty Enterprise.

IF PE was to get a good Manager in the shop, does not have to be a big name but somebody that can take a load off of kyle, then I think at leats the 45 car will improve like last year.

As for the 43, I was a bugg supporter of CF when they said he was goign to frive the 43. I told people that kept saying it will never work he need to stay in BGN and ARCA to just wait and see what happens. Well I waited long enought I agree with then get CF back into the minor leauges for a couple more years. He is getting a little better and would have had a top 25 yesterday if he had not wrecked( same for kyle) What the 43 need now is 2 things a better Crew Cheif and a better driver, a young driver from the BGN would be great. Get Shane to drive a few more races this year and see what he can do.

The main problem at PE is the motors! I agree that they do need to lease there motors from someone, perferably Penske!

I think PE will get ack on track sometime. They are only one year 3 of the 5 year plan, I have not clue if that plan will work but I am still holding out hope that someday PE will be back as a contender for top 10s and possibly soem wins sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.
Kyle shows in the Grand-Am races that he still can run with the best of them, When he retires I look for him to run a few Grand-AM races a year

no their done,
never liked PE, however you can't take away what they have done for the sport, but look at Bud Moore, Jr Johnson, etc. Racing is a tough game and it will chew you up and spit you out and it doesn't care what your name is.

I say no, the Petty cars are all junk. Maybe if they went back to a one car team, back to pontiac and got a decent driver, they would have a shot at top 10's. Its like any business, sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward.

I really do think they will get better eventually, but I will admit to being skewed by my devotion to the Petty family. King Richard was, is, and always will be in my mind the greatest driver that ever lived. 200 career wins will never be touched again. I don't care what other "facts" people try to throw out there, that can not be disputed. I'm not sure what it will take, but a better engine program and a better driver than CF would be a heck of a start.

I said yes...

It woudl be hard for the team to get much worse than they are now. A better engine program would most likely help.

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@Aug 11 2003, 11:53 AM
The main problem at PE is the motors
I respectively disagree. Kyle can point the finger all he wants but the motors are only part of the problem. When you have a multitude of subpar components, fixing one thing is only going to cause another to suffer. PE has many leaks in the pipes and duct tape can only hold things together for so long. Stick a Mike Ege engine in a car that has the best chassis and handling package and you have an instant contender. You really think Dale Jarrett is down on power this year? Trust me, its many many more things then just the engines.

I think the main problem at PE is that they are stuck with the old ways and like to keep their wallets very close by.

Richard is notoriously known for not spening what is needed to be competitive and for doing things the old fashioned way.

The Petty name will only get them so far. The 43 has missed two races in a row, PE as a whole has only gotten 3 top 20 finishes this year. Terrible, soon they will loose their sponsors, because they wont be spending $10M a year just on a name.

Pemberton was the reason why PE was so good last year, because he went out and spent the money needed to be competitive. Without Pemberton last year PE would have been like they are this year. When Pemberton wanted to hire the engineers he needed Kyle and Richard refused. Again the almighty dollar speaking.

I dont buy the whole 5 year plan as Kyle says PE is in. Why five years? It took Roush 1 year to get their team back on track. It took RCR 1 year as well. Why should it take PE 5 years?

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Aug 11 2003, 07:07 PM
Richard is notoriously known for not spending what is needed to be competitive and for doing things the old fashioned way.
That's what I've heard too.

What ever happened to the rumor that Todd Parrott was going to PE? I heard that if they wanted Todd, it was going to cost them 7 figures & they weren't willing to do that for a crew chief of shop manager.

It wouldn't really surprise me if it is true that Richard is hesitant to overspend for anybody. They are a really proud family who really wants to win, but they want to do it their way. I think they might feel as though "buying a winner" is not as impressive as building a winner. But, this sport has gotten to the point where the biggest spenders will win most, if not all of the time. Nobody has ever accused Rick Hendrick, Joe Gibbs any other owner who has won a title recently of being too thrifty. It takes a huge financial commitment to win on this level at this time. Kenseth is a heck of a driver, but he wouldn't be running away with the title this year of the Cat in the Hat wasn't spending very large Jack on that equipment.

If they had a Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, or anybody else you wanted to put in those Petty cars right now they wouldn't be in the top 10 in points with that equipment either. But it wouldn't hurt if they had someone better than Christian Fitapaldi in there. ^_^

Originally posted by slick-nick@Aug 11 2003, 09:32 AM
I just feel for Richard Petty right about now, the name he marked on the sport is getting less and less meaning.
I agree, Petty Enterprises used to be the pinnacle of success and now theyre the ultimate definition of failure in the sport. Although I dont think all hope is lost, it's somewhat going south for them, Petty Enterprises is losing money, theyre wrecking cars every race, they cant run a lap with all of their equipment intact; theyve just not been up to speed with everyone else. We've seen teams like Bill Davis Racing, BAM Racing and Ultra Motorsports show more progression than Petty Enterprises, and PE has been around longer than those 3 have. I know that there are lots of hard workers in Petty Enterprises, but theyre not working hard enough; neither are Kyle Petty and Christian Fittipaldi. I cant really blame Kyle Petty because he's seen some form of success in his career, but the decision to toss Fittipaldi in the car, Fittipaldi, a man who has clearly no experience in a Cup Car, who's left a career in CART thats at least left him paychecks was kind of too premature. I havent seen a single race where Fittipaldi has run in the top 20 or even finished the race, and if we dont, I think Petty Enterprises will see more changes than the state of California.

Originally posted by N2racin88@Aug 11 2003, 06:58 PM
Stick a Mike Ege engine in a car that has the best chassis and handling package and you have an instant contender. You really think Dale Jarrett is down on power this year? Trust me, its many many more things then just the engines.
Yates no longer uses mike Ege engines! Mike left yates at the start of last year!

I know not all the problem is with the motors but its a huge part. the Ege motors have fallen behind this year. They started out ok btu as the year goes on the competiors pick up there performance with the motors and Ege just stays the same. Look kat Spencer with the Ege motors. At the start of the year he was doign pretty good and now not as good. Same for Schrader. He had no problem making races on time( niehter did Kyle) and now Ken has missed 2 races in a row and kyle could be close to missing soem races soon. the 43 has missed 3 races this year and the 44 missed 1 of the 2! DW said when he tested Kyles car that it handeled great and was a smooth ride, the only problem was it had no power off the turns. That was evident at Indy. All cars would hit 200mph at the end of the strights the Ege cars could not get to 200.

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@Aug 11 2003, 10:38 PM
Yates no longer uses mike Ege engines! Mike left yates at the start of last year!

I am not saying tha Ege is supplying RYR with engines. I am saying that DJ is struggling right now and it has nothing to do with horsepower.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Aug 11 2003, 09:07 PM
PE as a whole has only gotten 3 top 20 finishes this year.
To play devil's advocate for a moment...John Andretti had four in the 14 races he ran for them.

Race Track Team Finish Qual Laps Points Status
1 Daytona 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 34 12 108/109 61 Running
2 Rockingham 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 39 32 347/393 46 Running
3 Las Vegas 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 18 6 266/267 114 Running
4 Atlanta 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 29 19 320/325 76 Running
5 Darlington 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 38 26 187/293 49 Accident
6 Bristol 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 31 43 440/500 70 Running
7 Texas 43 Pillsbury Dodge 19 43 333/334 106 Running
8 Talladega 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 14 40 188/188 126 Running
9 Martinsville 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 30 40 497/500 73 Running
10 California 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 8 13 250/250 142 Running
11 Richmond 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 30 24 390/393 73 Running
12 Charlotte 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 39 42 259/276 46 Accident
13 Dover 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 34 40 309/400 61 Running
14 Pocono 43 Cheerios / Pop-Secret Dodge 23 21 199/200 94 Running

Releasing John was huge mistake. To review:

John: 14 races, 1 top-10, 4 top-20s
Kyle: 21 races, no top-10s, 2 top-20s
Christian: 7 races, no top-20s, 2 DNQs

You tell me who should have stayed with the team, and who should have gone.

Back
Top Bottom