Will we ever get rid of the playoff?

T

Tosu97

Is it possible that NASCAR will one day give up on all the bull and determine a champion the simple and popular way... Just go back to the old points system for gods sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess..... No. It's here to stay. Besides, what would they do with all their Stage Points?

Heck, it's only March and we have our first 'I hate the Chase' thread of the season. :cool: It's gotta be a record.

I was a fan in the late 90s and early 2000s before all this crap. I'm still a fan but I lose hope when I think about how NASCAR is suffocating the natural/organic racing. The chase, the charter system, gen 6 cars, etc. It all needs to go. It's like they are purposefully killing the sport. I mean geeze.. will it take to get new management...

I was a race purist when they started the Chase and I didn't like it. But I have to admit I like the current playoff format. And so far I like the segment deal. My race purist standing has been revoked.

I understand golf is emulating the original chase idea.

Well if they don't reverse course they will hit rock bottom... I give it 15-20 years. When do the tv broadcast rights end? Wonder if that will cause or motivate any change?

who knows it is nascar they change as much as the seasons

I won't say 'never'; after all, we never saw it coming back in '04, and we never saw stages coming until they were introduced a few months ago.

I don't see any of the non-technical rules of the last 15 years (Chase, stages, points systems, etc.) going away or reverting to pre-2003 rules until the attendance and TV viewer numbers stop dropping and stabilize at a new .normal'.

Is it possible that NASCAR will one day give up on all the bull and determine a champion the simple and popular way... Just go back to the old points system for gods sake.

As a compromise I would like to see a 26 race season with a champion crowned under a traditional points system. After that Nascar could come up with whatever sillyassed 10 race program they wish to.

My guess is that there will always be some sort of chase or playoff or something similar in Nascar.

I was a fan in the late 90s and early 2000s before all this crap. I'm still a fan but I lose hope when I think about how NASCAR is suffocating the natural/organic racing. The chase, the charter system, gen 6 cars, etc. It all needs to go. It's like they are purposefully killing the sport. I mean geeze.. will it take to get new management...

If Nascar were a city they would be Detroit.

Well if they don't reverse course they will hit rock bottom... I give it 15-20 years. When do the tv broadcast rights end? Wonder if that will cause or motivate any change?

At the rate Nascar is going there won't be a whole lot left to worry about after the current broadcast deal is finished.

The way TV sports networks are bleeding money,Nascar and their TV contract might not see 2024.My son and I went to a sports wings restaurant for supper the other day and only about a handful of people were watching the big tv's spread around the place.The waitress said free wifi and outlets to plug in your devices at the table was the big selling point for them.

Not as long as the France family is in control.

Or at least the current one. Maybe the people that will take over after Brian and his sister..maybe.

The way TV sports networks are bleeding money,Nascar and their TV contract might not see 2024.My son and I went to a sports wings restaurant for supper the other day and only about a handful of people were watching the big tv's spread around the place.The waitress said free wifi and outlets to plug in your devices at the table was the big selling point for them.
Nothing irks me more than people gathered at a restaurant, bar, etc and just mindlessly staring at their phones instead of enjoying the real company of others.

Why!!!!!! This playoff makes it more interesting you can't just log laps and collect a paycheck. The reason people race is to win the dam race not finishing 6th every week. If you can't win you don't deserve to be the champ. I like this playoff system. If you don't like the racing do not watch it.

Why!!!!!! This playoff makes it more interesting you can't just log laps and collect a paycheck. The reason people race is to win the dam race not finishing 6th every week. If you can't win you don't deserve to be the champ. I like this playoff system. If you don't like the racing do not watch it.
I have grown to like the stage racing which I initially was opposed to. The old Latford point system was too flat and resulted in Matt Kenseth winning in 2003 (which he won fair and square) which prompted Brian and company to institute The Chase.
Keep the stages, reward the top three finishers in races with greater point totals and crown a champion without an unnecessary playoff system that most of us who care about NASCAR, don't tolerate.

Besides, no other sport allows competitors and teammates who haven't qualified for playoffs to compete in said playoffs. There is too much possibility and temptation for Clint Bowyer "itch" type incidents or playoff altering scenarios like Kenseth taking out Logano.

I hope not. I thought the 2014-2016 format was great. The new format is ok but all the points are pretty much pointless in my opinion because wins still tromp points. Only one driver will have to rely on points to get to the championship race assuming playoff drivers win in the last three rounds.

I know points are needed but I just think they over complicate things a bit. My idea points system would be:

1 point for starting the race
1 point for finishing race on lead lap
1 point for leading a lap
1 point for leading the most laps
Only the top 10 receive points for finishing order, 1st gets 10 points and 10th gets 1 point

And a playoff of course

Last edited:
The France that is Brian is his sister's stooge.

Things will change when someone they're trying to get money from says change it.
This. X100. If NASCAR can't attract a new series sponsor when Monster goes or can't secure a new tv deal, without getting rid of the gimmicks I would believe they'd drop the gimmicks in a second. And I eagerly hope and wait for the day it does happen.

I won't say 'never'; after all, we never saw it coming back in '04, and we never saw stages coming until they were introduced a few months ago.

I don't see any of the non-technical rules of the last 15 years (Chase, stages, points systems, etc.) going away or reverting to pre-2003 rules until the attendance and TV viewer numbers stop dropping and stabilize at a new .normal'.
I read somwhere, sorry can't find the article but that back in 2004 when The Chase was originally introduced was that NASCAR always wanted to have the 2014-2016 version of the system but industry backlash was so huge, that they decided to install it in increments

Yep.

It ain't hit bottom yet. When it does, whoever inherits the crap will work it back towards racing rather than motorsports entertainment.
My feelings exactly, it has to really hit that rock bottom before the powers to be realize finally it needs to be back where it used to be....no chase, car makes that are different in looks and configuration(no spec car), and above all hire a management group that actually knows what they are doing.

I hope not. I really think they perfected the setup now, and the Homestead Bowl last year was beyond exciting

They didn't eliminate the playoffs but I think letting regular season points carry through the playoffs is a big step in the right direction so someone who has run well all season doesn't get knocked out by one bad race.

My bold prediction for 2018 is that Brian will add a 4th stage to each race for a green white checkers. It will be marketed as the Last Chance Dash and produce game 7 moments each and every week!
You're probably not far off. You can already pretty much guarantee there will be a caution in the last 10 laps at Homestead every year, I could see the "brain"trust at NASCAR trying to legitimize that for every race via and extra stage.

I just don't see how anyone could hate a playoff system. It's the best most logical way to crown a champion. Winning is all that matters in racing and a playoff rewards that more than any points system. I think they had a perfect system before this season and added these bonus points just appease the fans that don't like the playoff but my opinion they just made things complicated and points are irrelevant to all but one driver really. I just don't see any negatives to a playoff system.

I just don't see how anyone could hate a playoff system. It's the best most logical way to crown a champion.
Except that it's not. Playoffs are logical in other sports because every team doesn't play every other team in the league at every event. Cup drivers race every other driver in the Cup series every week, so an elimination style playoff really isn't necessary. There's also too many outside factors and dumb luck that can end a championship caliber driver's year in those little three-race seasonettes at the end of the year.

The 2004-2013 chases were fine with me, as those were more of a reset than a playoff. The 2014-2016 format was dogsh!t IMO, but I think the 2017 changes will help. The main thing I like is that the bonus points carry through Phoenix in the playoffs instead of being scrapped after Dover, which was a MAJOR flaw in the '14-'16 format.

Except that it's not. Playoffs are logical in other sports because every team doesn't play every other team in the league at every event. Cup drivers race every other driver in the Cup series every week, so an elimination style playoff really isn't necessary. There's also too many outside factors and dumb luck that can end a championship caliber driver's year in those little three-race seasonettes at the end of the year.

The 2004-2013 chases were fine with me, as those were more of a reset than a playoff. The 2014-2016 format was dogsh!t IMO, but I think the 2017 changes will help. The main thing I like is that the bonus points carry through Phoenix in the playoffs instead of being scrapped after Dover, which was a MAJOR flaw in the '14-'16 format.

That's what's great about a playoff though. Someone could spoil the playoff drivers fun and force a driver to points race which a lot of you seem to be fans of. I don't see how having all the cars in the field takes away from a playoff, to me it only adds intrigue.

As for a championship caliber driver getting knocked out in the last three races, so what? If they can't perform good enough to advance to the final then they don't deserve to be there anyway. Winning is the most important part of racing and a playoff puts a big emphasis on winning which is how it should be.

I think the bonus point are bogus and don't really do anything. I like the stage racing but the bonus points are irrelevant to me. Winning is all that really matters.

I don't have a problem with the 2017 system. I actually wish the playoffs would be fixed to 16-8-4-2 and 8-4-2 in the other series so it puts a premium of still racing hard after a win.

Obviously Homestead-Miami with only 2 doesn't seem right, but does 4? 2 drivers for 1 spot in Homestead seems a lot better IMO, and in the event of wreck maybe there's a repair rule or backup rule.

Back
Top Bottom